Am I in need of a CV rear DS? - Rubicon Owners Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Am I in need of a CV rear DS?

Because it looks like it. 05 LJ. 3” of suspension lift and a SAVVY tummy tuck. I have some bad driveline vibes above 50mph. I adjusted the pinion angle and it helped a little but while under the Jeep I spotted this DS angle at the t-case and it looks gross. Am I in the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

From this picture angle and u joint angle it doesn’t look as bad. DS angle is 15 degrees.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 03:37 AM

Garage
I don't know if you NEED one... but for the money, it's nice knowing you won't ask yourself the question again.

Put it on the lift with the rear axle at full droop. Does the axle rotate 360* without binding/rubbing?

I have one on my '04 SWB Rubi with 4" lift.
johncanfield likes this.

My dogs name is Rubi

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM
DAA

I've been running the factory shaft on my LJ with 3" lift and Medic TT for 125K without vibration. Except when the u-joints were letting me know they were tired.

There is a MML installed too, which definitely helps with the angles.

If I'm remembering right (never a sure thing...), I had to adjust my pinion angle down slightly (not up, as you would with a CV) to match the t-case.

Anyway... CV might be your solution. But you can definitely make the factory non-CV live a long happy life on the LJ with your lift height.

- DAA
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yesterday I rotated my pinion down and pulled my front DS which eliminated my driveline vibes. I appreciate the responses!

Mouse and johncanfield like this.

-Ian-
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Rubi Noobie

I have the same problem and more. I put in a HD 1350 CV rear shaft in my 06 auto LJ. I disconnected the front shaft, strapped u joint and bungeed the shaft to the frame. This takes that shaft vibration out of play. I was able to get 72 mph before vibration began. Many tries adjusting the control arms/pinion angles to get this result.
Reinstalled the front driveshaft and vibrations began again at 55mph. Took to local shop. Balanced OEM front shaft, adjusted angles numerous times and got 64 mph as best result. Local shop said this is common problem with LJ 3” lift and 1” body lift and recommend changing to manual lockout hubs. I like shift on the fly. I’ve decided on trailer, beadlocks and under 60mph.
This is my experience. Not what I wanted and very disappointing. Cost me $1900 for driveshaft and hours of local shop trying to fix. Hope this helps.
johncanfield likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Once you get to a certain level of suspension and chassis modifications for serious rock crawling, I think at that point you don't have a daily driver but a trailer queen.
Mouse, sierrabob and rlenglish like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edstoyshed View Post
I have the same problem and more. I put in a HD 1350 CV rear shaft in my 06 auto LJ. I disconnected the front shaft, strapped u joint and bungeed the shaft to the frame. This takes that shaft vibration out of play. I was able to get 72 mph before vibration began. Many tries adjusting the control arms/pinion angles to get this result.
Reinstalled the front driveshaft and vibrations began again at 55mph. Took to local shop. Balanced OEM front shaft, adjusted angles numerous times and got 64 mph as best result. Local shop said this is common problem with LJ 3” lift and 1” body lift and recommend changing to manual lockout hubs. I like shift on the fly. I’ve decided on trailer, beadlocks and under 60mph.
This is my experience. Not what I wanted and very disappointing. Cost me $1900 for driveshaft and hours of local shop trying to fix. Hope this helps.
That's discouraging. I'd sooner drop the TT and BL before dealing with the vibrations. Seems like there has to be a way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Once you get to a certain level of suspension and chassis modifications for serious rock crawling, I think at that point you don't have a daily driver but a trailer queen.
3" suspension and 1" BL shouldn't be that level.
DAA likes this.

-Ian-
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:01 PM
DAA

I'm not seeing how a body lift is even a factor in driveline vibration?

3" suspension lift on an LJ, even in conjunction with an aggressive tummy tuck, no way are vibrations at speed to be considered normal or unavoidable. Even after 125k miles with 4.88's and a 6 speed, mine runs up to the speed limiter at 90+ MPH with no vibes and one hand steering. And mine is not unusual.

- DAA

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

BL doesn’t. I meant tummy tuck.

-Ian-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in