Am I in need of a CV rear DS? - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 AM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I was responding to the guy who said: "Local shop said this is common problem with LJ 3 lift and 1 body lift and recommend changing to manual lockout hubs."

His local shop is feeding him a line of bull crap.

- DAA
SlickAl, Mouse and johncanfield like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Rubi Noobie

To the guy who called BS. Contact Mike Starkebaum at 4x4Land in Topeka Ks. He’s been doing it for 25 years and has an Rubicon LJ himself. I’d love to have different results.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
The recommendation to change to manual lockout hubs seems odd; I guess it could help if this is for the 3" suspension lift and 1" BL where the rear of the transfer case is aligned lower than the front output creating problems with the front driveshaft u-joints. Unlocking the hubs would prevent the front driveshaft from spinning while cruising down the road.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Garage
^^ yeah, I don't get the manual hub recommendation either ^^

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:59 AM
DAA

I don't even get the claim that it's a common problem with LJs on 3" lifts. It's not.

- DAA
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
^^ yeah, I don't get the manual hub recommendation either ^^

Stops the front driveshaft from spinning which apparently is the cause of many people's driveline vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I don't even get the claim that it's a common problem with LJs on 3" lifts. It's not.

- DAA

I've read many accounts of LJs with 3" lift and a tummy tuck having driveline vibrations. It's certainly more common than I'd hope. I just don't know what causes the front DS vibrations.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata View Post
Stops the front driveshaft from spinning which apparently is the cause of many people's driveline vibrations
Right, I got that but that's not addressing the root cause of the vibration. Having manual hubs would be great if you flat towed though.
Mouse likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Right, I got that but that's not addressing the root cause of the vibration. Having manual hubs would be great if you flat towed though.

I agree. I also dont want to spend the money on a manual hub swap.

My plan is to rebuild the front DS. Maybe even give Woods a ring and talk to them. If that doesnt fix the vibes Ill go after the pinion angle. Im not sure what Ill do after that, but it may involve finding a way to tilt the drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:04 PM
Rubi Noobie

I read on another forum that the root cause was the transfer case shaft out of balance. The guy went through all options and then tore into tcase and found it to be the cause of the vibrations. IDK. I’m putting mine on a trailer, running beadlocks and may get a Currie D-60 setup someday. Tired of spending money on mine for awhile. Gonna wheel it till something breaks. Moab in late spring, Ouray in late summer. 67 GTO conv project starts in spring. Lol You guys figure it out, let us all know. Peace
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:34 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Good luck with the Goat. That will be a treasure.
Mouse likes this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page