Savvy Under Armor vibrations - Rubicon Owners Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Savvy Under Armor vibrations

Not even Marky Mark could find these vibrations good. I'm ready to can the entire system.

Jeep has a 1.25" JKS BL and Brown Dog MML. Before installing the Savvy system, there were no vibrations at all with the BL/MML combo.

The vibrations from the Savvy UA are terrible. The seats vibrate at speed, the bass inside the cab at idle is deafening, and the trans noise is just an added nuisance. At first I thought the T-case was contacting the body, but I can't find an area that it's touching. I think this is simply due to the cross member design.

Before I call Savvy and talk with him, I'd like to know if anyone else has these issues or if anyone else has solved a similar issue with the Savvy skid. If Savvy can't figure it out or if this is a known issue, there will soon be a Savvy UA for sale and I'll be switching to a UCF setup.

My commitment has always been to have a competent wheeling rig that I could comfortably drive cross country. I don't even want to drive my Jeep to work anymore.
johncanfield likes this.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

I was thinking about your vibrations & drone... Check your exhaust and specifically the 3rd cat support bracket, attached to the trans. On my UCF I had to cut it off, let it relax into a neutral position, check clearances and weld back together. Nth Degree was a replacement bracket.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Garage
^^ good suggestion ^^ I had to cut down the exhaust hanger bracket that's in the tcase area.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I think I also have a driveline vibration that's being masked by the drivetrain vibrations (and maybe even amplifying it). This weekend I'll mess with my pinion angle and then take a look at that exhaust hangar mount.

Fingers crossed.
johncanfield likes this.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I think I also have a driveline vibration that's being masked by the drivetrain vibrations (and maybe even amplifying it). This weekend I'll mess with my pinion angle and then take a look at that exhaust hangar mount.

Fingers crossed.
As for the drivetrain... U joints will wear in their rotating angle over time. Change the angles of operating angle and you may find the U joints fighting themselves - causing vibrations.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

An update.

1. I checked the exhaust hangar. Relieved any pressure and remounted it. There was no change to the vibrations.

2. I lowered the pinion angle on the rear axle to match the T-case output angle and removed the front driveshaft which took care of all the driveline vibrations. So i'll be rebuilding the front DS.

3. The engine vibrations are still VERY pronounced. Some digging and talking to others that have run Savvy's products are indicating the the Brown Dog MML may be the culprit. I loosened the engine mount bolts a bit more and that helps slightly which leads me to believe that the combination of a stiff trans mount in the Savvy kit with the stiffness of the BD MML is transmitting the vibes. I need to get my hands on a stock set of engine mounts and a MML block kit and hopefully that solves my problems.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

-Ian-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Did you get the rubber or poly brown dog MML?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob86jeep View Post
Did you get the rubber or poly brown dog MML?
Rubber

-Ian-
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:50 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Ok. I heard the Poly will cause even worse vibes.
johncanfield likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I and so many others have already been where you are. I'll give you my experience only, to do with what you want.
MML - I tried the brown dog in poly and rubber. Both transferred more engine vibes than a factory mount with a 1" spacer. That is the best set up by far for a driver.

I do not think the Savvy UA is the problem exactly. It's pretty much any TT or belly pan that is thicker and more solid than factory. I've been through several and they just plain ol transmit more engine vibes. I'd bet the UCF skid gives you no relief. It's going to amplify everything too.

Any combination of TT and CV rear shaft is going to give you more driveline vibes. Some more than others depending on many things.

After regearing, I have always had driveline vibes. The only thing that has ever stopped it is a front hub kit to keep the front d/s from spinning.

I know some folks are going to argue but these are my own personal experiences. I've been through a few TJs and one highly built LJ.

I have fought with driveline and engine vibes for years and years....fretting over every bushing, mount, driveline angle, driveshaft angle, gear setup, etc. And taking advice and calling other experts such as mrblaine, and in the end I have found that I've had to live with some of it, and got rid of most of it, but some of it is just going to exist because of what it is. The transfer case design, front axle design, SWB, short driveshaft, solid belly pan on a solid frame....blah blah blah.

Prepare to remove the front d/s or invest in a hub kit. Swap out the motor mounts.

Now with you having an unlimited on such a small lift I am surprised you are having a such a difficult time. Your cat back isn't helping anything noise related either. Good luck.

On my current TJ Rubicon I only went with a 2.5" lift and am using the original rear shaft and stock 4.10 gears. No vibes at all. I know if I were to start messing with it what will happen, so it stays as is.

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."

'03 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition, Zone 2.5" lift, 33/12.50-15 Mickey Thompson MTZs, Warn Zeon 10S winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page