• 2 Post By johncanfield
  • 2 Post By svtotem
  • 4 Post By SweetPee
  • 1 Post By bugdewde

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Stuff to clean engine of grease etc?

What are some good "SAFE" cleaners degreasers to spray on and wash off 2005 Jeep Rubi Unlimited 6cyl. engine, that will not screw up anything?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Rubi Wheeler

I've used pretty much all the degreasers from the usual auto parts stores without issues over the years. I remove the battery and waterproof off the major electrical areas and intakes first. Then spray on then agitate the degreaser, then hose off well and shop vac on blow. Detail to personal taste. Then I just leave the hood up during the daylight hours for a couple of days before starting/driving the jeep. I know I get plenty of water in the engine bay through the hood louvers when I normally wash the jeep so I know my airing the engine out is probably overkill...I've never had any issues. I do plan ahead knowning I won't use the rig.
johncanfield likes this.

2004 Rubicon TJ (long gone to a good home)
2006 Rubicon LJ
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
Got a Dollar General near by? Go and buy "LA Awesome" It is hands down the best stuff I have ever seen in my life. Dollar General
Norminator likes this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:10 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I've used Simple Green in a spray bottle. I'll have to try the LA Awesome.

It doesn't matter who you are until you are whom you are supposed to be.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
I use Simple Green as well or whatever I grab in an auto parts store. I think they are all non-solvent based and safe.
Mouse and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Simple Green can cause corrosion on aluminum. They do make a version that is not that I believe is actually purple. Read the label to get the correct one if you intend to use it around aluminum.
Norminator and johncanfield like this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
I use to use simple green, it was cheap and easy to find. LA Awesome blows it out of the water. Came across in in another forum, I run a mowing business on the side and several of those guys were using it and raved about it. I figured for the price... what the heck. It is all I will buy now.

FWIW, My cousin witnessed this himself and it made a buyer out of him and I wasn't even trying to show it to him..... I had an old tooth brush I used to clean parts, so it was black in color. I tried dawn dish soap first to clean it, and it got some of it out. 2 squirts of LA Awesome and I rubbed it with my thumb and it darn near looked clean enough to use in a meth heads mouth.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:39 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtotem View Post
Simple Green can cause corrosion on aluminum. They do make a version that is not that I believe is actually purple. Read the label to get the correct one if you intend to use it around aluminum.
And Simple Green does OK. I haven't been very impressed with its ability to clean up a motor.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
High pressure water will remove engine grease. No need for product with adequate pressure.

I have a 3000 psi pressure washer, so I really don't need degreasers.

A good cleaner? I usually use spray on tire foam. The cheapest available. Like Son of a Gun ... $3 a can.

Step # 1:
Spray tire foam on the ENTIRE engine bay, even the hood pad/insulation & WALK AWAY.
Can sit overnight to soften dried gunk & grime if needed. I've left it on for days... Weeks even. Reapply the next day if you want. And the next..... Engine don't care.

Step # 2:
Hose off the next time you're at a self serve car wash.
Sprays most caked up grime right off with car wash sprayer after it softens up the dirt/grime overnight (or longer). Garden hose can work after a few treatments.

Step # 3:
Drive home. .... a.k.a., drying time.

Step # 4:
Reapply foam & walk away again. Do not spray it off, leaving it on the engine & everything underhood.
Leaves underhood plastic, wire looms & hoses nice and clean & makes the painted, rubber & plastic items shine ... ... ... Instant underhood detail.

Bonus:
Keeps future dirt & grime from setting up allowing a simple spray off with garden hose to stay clean at your leisure.

Tip:
Spray entire engine bay with tire foam BEFORE wheelin'. Keeps dirt/mud from baking on so bad. Makes for a very easy clean up by simply hosing off with a garden hose when you're done wheelin'.

Yep, spray on tire foam.
Best lazy man's underhood detailer.... Ever.
johncanfield likes this.

Dwight

'05 Rubi Unlimited, 6-speed, Soft top, Patriot Blue
RE 4.5" Super Flex
1" spring spacers up front
1.25" JKS Body Lift
255/85/16 Maxxis Bighorns/Buckshots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page