Rubicon Owners Forum banner

06 LJ Rubi Auto Trany PCM (?) Nightmares!

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  johncanfield 
#1 ·
One recent Aug afternoon after loading my ATV on a trailer and backing up to my cabin on level ground for a 50-60 yds, the wonderful Check Engine light came on. I disconnected the trailer and drove in to a local small town where I know the owner of a repair shop and he started pulling codes indicating Transmission Problems and PCM errors. The JP was still driving fine so I returned home 50 mi, no problems, shifting seems normal. Few days later to a local shop I trust and they started the code lookin. Indication of TCM, no PCM, and they found a used PCM and had it shipped in. Yesterday, they say their Software to connect all the ?CMs and the trany and the 4 L motor doesn't have the Wrangler as an option and they can't get programming done to interface the two! Anyone here that can explain the SAGA of my
dilemma ????? Will I wheel again?

#3 ·
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however my PCM died and I highly suggest you take it back to a dealer. They have the equipment to program it correctly and you can get a new PCM there. Anything else and I think its a real crapshoot. I never advocate for going to a dealership, however this is one situation where it pays off. Mine has ran beautifully ever since. LOL of course it ran beautifully before it just went belly up for no reason.

#10 ·
Same. My PCM died and even the dealer had a hard time getting the reprogramming software. My Jeep was with them for two weeks before it got sorted (not to mention the $$$!)

Reactions: johncanfield
#4 ·
Seems as though the PCMs are becoming a recurring problem, especially on the '05 and '06 models as they get older. With a dwindling supply, this will become more difficult to repair.

Reactions: WayWestJeep
#6 ·
You said you have a shop you trust so why aren't they explaining what you have to do?

#7 ·
I would also note, that in today's world there is no reason not to have a bluetooth ODBII and app to check/clear codes yourself before taking it into the shop. Even the higher quality ones are pretty cheap.

How did you even get it to the shop without a functioning PCM? It manages the fuel system and ignition. Did you tow it/trailer it in? If you drove it in, you have (or maybe at this point had) a functioning PCM.

I would go back to your original PCM and would start with a known good battery. Alot of engine management computers are sensitive to the voltage and current. If the battery is not working properly you can have some really wild and misleading errors downstream.

I agree with WayWestJeep beyond that point however. I don't think your Indy shop is going to have the ability to reprogram the PCM to the vehicle properly. If you need a new PCM programmed to the vehicle, this is one of the few cases where I would go back to the dealer to ensure it is done correctly.

#8 ·
2006 LJ, if I remember correctly the pcm will come from the dealer blank. Then the dealer will install and program the software you need with your VIN.
A lot of independent shops subscribe to a service from companies like Snap-On and are able to do this also.
If buy Pcm from one of the many aftermarket suppliers then they will send it to you programed.
A used Pcm will have the software from whatever it came out of and the dealer can only update that software. So if you have a auto and the used is from a manual they cannot change it to suit your needs.
Now it gets confusing with sentry key (grey keys) and vehicle theft (VTSS). If equipped a used pcm will have that information from the donor vehicle and not work. Sometimes a dealer can rewrite a VIN and program your keys to get it to work but not always. So a used pcm is one of those buyer beware sort of things.

#9 ·
I'm in the process of using Flagship One right now. My PCM was not pulsing the #3 injector. There were some related issues as well. They repaired my PCM and things have improved but the PCM is not sending a pulse to the #3 injector. They are honoring the warranty and I'm sending it back to them.

We verified that my repaired PCM was the problem when we substituted it with another PCM. MY PCM would not activate the noid light hooked to the #3 injector plug. The substituted PCM did activate the noid light. The issue between my PCM and the good substituted one was my sentry key set up would shut my TJ off, but we had time to see the flashing noid light.

I'll keep you posted about Flagship One. I know there's a lot of baggage regarding PCM repairs, refurbishes, vodoo's and prayers. I personally blame Jeep.

#15 ·
I, in desperation threw another $600 in to trying to get this POS running. Went the Flagship One route. One week later with PayPal and Legal Documentation (what a sad world) satisfied, I await. Today my FS1 Dashboard showing my order "Processing" after eight calendar days to include one National Holiday. Hope all my fellow Vets had a "Good One", sent email today. I WILL NOT hold my breath, if you pray, pray for CJ's (my G Grand son) Cancer Cure, we will continue to wish and hope for the JP recovery, and pray to 4-wheel with the little man someday soon!

#16 ·
Hope everything works out for you. Cancer is is such a nasty disease, my brother-in-law just lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

Had really lousy weather for Veteran's day, our US flag we put out was getting beat up thanks to the strong cold front that rolled in, had to bring it in a bit early. USAF 1968-72, Vietnam '71-72.

#17 · (Edited)
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but my PCM is with FlagshipOne for the third visit. I have another route planned in the event it comes back broken.

My original P0203 issue, and proven to be originating at the PCM upon injector repairs was never repaired.

I’ll give more information on my experience and what I have learned regarding FlagshipOne at the proper time. Until then, I wouldn’t move in their direction.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
First thanks for all prayers, third chemo for the little man and he's getting better. They may do a surgery in Jan. Second , thanks for the update Norminator, but a day late, I already pulled the trigger. WayWestJeep I tried two different Front Range Dealer for new OEM parts and both claimed to do a "National" Parts search of dealers, and both came up empty.

I did find a dealer who said they could sometimes reprogram 'Used OEM" IF it was the correct PN. Another $200 down the drain. No dealer even offered me a re-manufactured. GOOD NEWS (maybe) my Flagship PCM arrived 10 days after my order, they did return a reply to my "what's up?" email with a tracking number, it did look like a reman chasis, solid and plated/pained with OEM plug connectors, IT DOES WORK after 24 hr & 25 mi, Norminator's experience haunts at me.

Like many things in life I found what I think could also be a <$600 replacement PCM with a year warranty, after FlagShip had cashed in at PayPal, at https://wranglerfix.com. I had a very educational talk with Mark and believe that he has an excellent solution to our needs (05-06 PCM). What I liked here was talking to a "Jeep Guy" not a "Large Scale" parts Refurb and sorta new supplier (?).

Let me be perfectly clear about "MY FlagShip One Experience", I received a Brain for my Sunya and it worked out of the wrapping, my jeep is running with no codes ATT, I think the jeep shifts smoother, But I sure liked talking to Mark. If anyone goes there, or anywhere for PCMs please update.

I don't know if similar Threads on this subject are here in ROF, I found the two PCM suppliers I have referenced in the Wrangler Forum. If you don't have the money to put in a Hemi &Allison transmission, and your like me and already sunk a chuck into a 05-06 you need to have a "Known Good" PCM, Mark and other have told me when they got OEM PCMs from dealer when the they started failing like crazy, they were $2.5-3 K.

I worked on electronics in the AF, go on YouTube and watch the DIY of a PCM, know why I think we need to a business that offer a better solution, buy it, drive it, save your OEM POS somewhere warm and safe, All Hail Chrysler Daimler for deserting us. WayWest thanks for input but do us a favor and share "Real Information" (Dealer Name and number). I'm opening the top and going for a ride.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
First thanks for all prayers, third chemo for the little man and he's getting better. They may do a surgery in Jan. Second , thanks for the update Norminator, but a day late, I already pulled the trigger. WayWestJeep I tried two different Front Range Dealer for new OEM parts and both claimed to do a "National" Parts search of dealers, and both came up empty. I did find a dealer who said they could sometimes reprogram 'Used OEM" IF it was the correct PN. Another $200 down the drain. No dealer even offered me a re-manufactured. GOOD NEWS (maybe) my Flagship PCM arrived 10 days after my order, they did return a reply to my "what's up?" email with a tracking number, it did look like a reman chasis, solid and plated/pained with OEM plug connectors, IT DOES WORK after 24 hr & 25 mi, Norminator's experience haunts at me. Like many things in life I found what I think could also be a <$600 replacement PCM with a year warranty, after FlagShip had cashed in at PayPal, at https://wranglerfix.com. I had a very educational talk with Mark and believe that he has an excellent solution to our needs (05-06 PCM). What I liked here was talking to a "Jeep Guy" not a "Large Scale" parts Refurb and sorta new supplier (?). Let me be perfectly clear about "MY FlagShip One Experience", I received a Brain for my Sunya and it worked out of the wrapping, my jeep is running with no codes ATT, I think the jeep shifts smoother, But I sure liked talking to Mark. If anyone goes there, or anywhere for PCMs please update. I don't know if similar Threads on this subject are here in ROF, I found the two PCM suppliers I have referenced in the Wrangler Forum. If you don't have the money to put in a Hemi &Allison transmission, and your like me and already sunk a chuck into a 05-06 you need to have a "Known Good" PCM, Mark and other have told me when they got OEM PCMs from dealer when the they started failing like crazy, they were $2.5-3 K. I worked on electronics in the AF, go on YouTube and watch the DIY of a PCM, know why I think we need to a business that offer a better solution, buy it, drive it, save your OEM POS somewhere warm and safe, All Hail Chrysler Daimler for deserting us. WayWest thanks for input but do us a favor and share "Real Information" (Dealer Name and number). I'm opening the top and going for a ride.
I did...here in my thread....that's on THIS website...... LOL
Moore Chrysler Jeep Fiat AZ
https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/19-general-tech/115700-05-rubicon-no-crank-no-start-5.html

Here, I will even save you the trouble of searching. :p

Moore Chrysler Jeep Fiat
841 Google reviews
Chrysler dealer in Peoria, Arizona
Address: 8600 W Bell Rd, Peoria, AZ 85382
You visited in May
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM
Phone: (800) 757-0140

They were really easy to work with and no complaints so far. Well, other than having to replace something that apparently dies for no reason with only 50k miles on it. Oh, and the price of course.

#21 ·
There are a few jeep-only junkyards that might have a used PCM for you. SgtJeep in Rosamond California (https://www.facebook.com/sgtjeep.ca) is constantly getting new jeeps in; might be worth a call.

#22 ·
Glad you’re back on the road! We should all subscribe since our PCMs are all on borrowed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
wranglerfix.com

Just had a friend with 05 non-Rubicon LJ auto that went with https://wranglerfix.com for a fail PCM. He found them through the same wrangler forum threads and research online and was also quite impressed talking with Mark. He has only had it in for a few weeks but so far it has worked without issue and he is on the road again.

I definitely made note of the place in case mine decides to start having any issues; although it is manual and seems less likely to have problems from what I have read and seen.

#24 ·
i cant read the whole thread atm and am no expert on the pcms or auto trans but i just got through a 3 year ordeal with my 05 6speed i believe the initial issue was the OPDA gear worn right out.. i tried CKS and CPS first i believe from safeway and after no fix and while of driving around in limp mode i tried the timing chain OPDA and some other fixxes with no luck... i was about to tear my whole loom apart when i decided to throw in my old CKS sensor i never got rid of and it instantly relieved all the issues.. so its no myth you need to use mopar sensors im not sure how parts stores are allowed to sell sensors that dont work.. be nice if an aftermarket company sold a stand alone pcm with thier own sensors and wiring harness replace the whole factory setup on these rigs that arre approaching 20 years old but still daily driven

#25 · (Edited)
Welcome to ROF - eh? Glad to have you aboard. We've had lots of discussion about OEM parts vs. after market and the consensus is spend the bucks on OEM parts. I bought an aftermarket radiator for my LJ and it was crudely built compared to Mopar. Threw the after market radiator away and went to new OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.