P0202, p0203 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
P0202, p0203

Out doing a trail and bottomed out on the AEV skid hard. It was a good jolt, but found no evidence of the hit.

About 5 minutes later I notice engine light, find the code for cylinders 2 and 3, notice rough running, and notice fuel smell in the exhaust.

Coil rail and injectors are 15 years old with 165k. Plugs should be okay.

Im thinking the jolt caused the old coil rail to finally fail or it was coincidence, but Im leaning toward a new coil rail.

Thoughts?

It doesn't matter who you are until you are whom you are supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:13 AM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Hmmm... 2 and 3 aren't on the same coil, so, hmmm.... The firing pairs are:

1 and 6
5 and 2
3 and 4

When my original coil rail went bad, my misfires were 1 and 6. I did a crude but effective test on the rail by putting together six grounds on clips and having one of my kids crank while I watched the spark plugs. Which verified 1 and 6 weren't firing. So, I was sure the coil rail was my problem.

Was strapped for cash and went chicom cheap on the replacement and it fixed it. For awhile . Second time around I ponied up for the factory part and no issues since.

But, anyway, 2 and 3, I'm leaning towards NOT the rail? But you could test it easy enough like I did mine and find out for sure.

Might be a longshot, but I have actually experienced this, so worth mentioning. A big hit COULD have jarred loose some fractured material in the precat on that bank? Plugged up one of my precats and gave me the same symptoms you are having. Seems like you have already replaced yours though? Like I said, a longshot...

I'd test that rail. And if that isn't it and if your precats are original, I'd put a scanner on it and see what the o2 sensors are saying. If that's not it, I'd do compression and leak down tests. Then spray the injectors onto a piece of cardboard or something. And if you still haven't nailed it down it's an electrical problem .

- DAA
Norminator and Mouse like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Garage
I like the pre cat theory.
Norminator and Mouse like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Pre cats are not that old, but it did sound like an exhaust thing to both my passenger and I before smelling fuel. I guess well know soon enough.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Rubicus Maximus

P0202 and P0203 are injector circuit codes. You have a couple faulty injectors which would be unlikely or your hit jarred some wiring.

P0303 or any 0300 code would indicate ignition so don't waste money on a coil rail.
Norminator and johncanfield like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I just pulled it in the back. The fuel smell is outrageous.
johncanfield likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
There's your problem!

I had to reorganize my approach. I'm a rookie when it comes to troubleshooting the injector aspect so I went back to square one with the codes which said there was a problem with #2 and #3 injectors. I did some research and learned how to troubleshoot the injectors and their wiring.

I bought a multimeter and found the two problem injectors were good. All the injectors were fine. I began to get bummed because that pointed to the injector wiring.

My fears increased when #2 and #3 injector plugs both showed continuity, or for you rookies like me, wires touching or grounding and making the current do strange things.

I actually had to search for #3 because somehow it was spun under the fuel rail. This led me to focus on #3's wiring which was bare and touching the mounting bracket for the throttle cables. At this point I'm sure I caused this whole fiasco when I had my hands in there changing the valve cover gasket. I missed that the #3 injector was spun 90 degrees to the right.

With the bare wires isolated, the both #2 and #3 plugs show no continuity. Obviously, I'm going to have to cut and solder some wire to allow shrink tube or a new wire section. Would you replace the plug?

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg
DAA and johncanfield like this.

Last edited by Norminator; 08-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Good job finding the problem. Soldering in two new wires is the best way to make sure there is good insulation on them. You might see if you can buy a new pigtail or find a pin extractor for that plug, new pins and the proper crimping tool.
Norminator and johncanfield like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:48 AM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

You can get a new injector pigtail for $8.

- DAA
Norminator likes this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Garage
^^ What Don said ^^ good job troubleshooting.
Norminator and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page