Rear Locker Issue, Un-Locking - Rubicon Owners Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Rear Locker Issue, Un-Locking

A couple of times now my rear locker will not dis-engage until I go into reverse a few times and back up. The locker light does go off. Any idea on what might be the problem? Other than that it works just fine engaging.

I plan to pull the cover this week and flush it out. Anything I should look for?

Appreciate any help.

Craig

Iím going to give you a little advice. Thereís a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. --Ty Webb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Garage
That's happened to me - I think I was usually on a good traction surface like slickrock in Moab. What kind of surface are you on when it won't disengage?
CraigB likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
What you are experiencing is normal for the OEM lockers.
Stinger, johncanfield and CraigB like this.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
That's happened to me - I think I was usually on a good traction surface like slickrock in Moab. What kind of surface are you on when it won't disengage?

I was on a granite rock when it started not to disengage but wouldn't even disengage on a flat sandy road later on. Not unless I hit reverse for 15-20 ft in 2 wheel.

I did read a few post on other forums last night about the fill plug being in to far.

Craig
johncanfield likes this.

Iím going to give you a little advice. Thereís a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. --Ty Webb
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
I want to follow up on what I found when changing the rear diff fluid.

When I was removing the fill plug I head a few clicks as if the plug was indeed in to far and making contact with the plate inside. I had read about this on other forums. The plate that disengages the locker is directly behind the fill plug and at this point appears to be my problem. And I did find scraps on the magnet in the fill plug too.

After a refill, a little Teflon tape on the fill plug so it doesn't go in as far, and a quick test it seems to be fixed. I'm headed back out to the trail this next Sunday for a better test but I do feel good that the issue is resolved.

Craig
geroux, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

Last edited by CraigB; 05-02-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
I want to follow up on what I found when changing the rear diff fluid.

When I was removing the fill plug I head a few clicks as if the plug was indeed in to far and making contact with the plate inside. I had read about this on other forums. The plate that disengages the locker is directly behind the fill plug and at this point appears to be my problem. And I did find scraps on the magnet in the fill plug too.

After a refill, a little Teflon tape on the fill plug so it doesn't go in as far, and a quick test it seems to be fixed. I'm headed back out to the trail this next Sunday for a better test but I do feel good that the issue is resolved.

Craig

This is pretty common. The manual states a torque value for the plugs so they don't get screwed in too far and hit the locker. What sometimes happens is someone at an oil change place will pull the plugs to check the level and condition of the diff oil. They then crank in the plugs as hard as they can because they don't know any better. Then the lockers don't work. Permanent fix is new diff covers.
johncanfield likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouaveherb View Post
This is pretty common. The manual states a torque value for the plugs so they don't get screwed in too far and hit the locker. What sometimes happens is someone at an oil change place will pull the plugs to check the level and condition of the diff oil. They then crank in the plugs as hard as they can because they don't know any better. Then the lockers don't work. Permanent fix is new diff covers.
It sounds like even with the correct torque that the fill plug can come in contact. And I agree on the new diff covers. I'm trying to get a couple of the Barnes 4WD HD covers in the next few months.

cb
johncanfield likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 AM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
It sounds like even with the correct torque that the fill plug can come in contact. And I agree on the new diff covers. I'm trying to get a couple of the Barnes 4WD HD covers in the next few months.

cb

Yeah, what happens is that the hole in the diff cover is permanently enlarged. So even if it's torqued correctly afterwards, the damage has already been done. You can make due with some teflon tape if the hole is not too large, but replacing the cover is the way to go.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Grind or cut off the fill plug so it wont go in so far. It is a pipe thread and the diff cover was made too deep compared to a typinc plug. Or the pipe plug was made slightly small.
johncanfield likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Another follow up, we hit the trails this past week-end and the rear locker worked perfect! I probably was locked and un-locked 25 times or more and no problem. I'm very happy this was an easy fix.

Thanks for the input.

Craig
johncanfield, DK2014JK and FLLJ like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page