Transmission Toasty - Rubicon Owners Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via MSN to etropic
Transmission Toasty

'04 manual rubi, 97k.. My transmission is overheating. To the point it's making the plastic console around the shift lever too hot to touch!
I went on a 200 mile highway run and found that if I kept it under 55 it would just be hot. Pushing 60 became untouchable. The transmission itself must be nuking itself.

It's got oil. Going to flush it.

No problems shifting, no weird sounds, clutch replaced 20k ago and feels great. Gear selection doesn't seem to matter. I did have the rear cv shaft rebuilt recently because it was wobbled out, but that's a pretty common enough thing.

What could possibly be going? Where do I even start, or is this something where it just needs to come apart and looked at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by etropic; 03-24-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
Maybe bearings??? Friction increases with speed???

Strange that at under 55 it's not too hot, then heats up above that speed..
johncanfield likes this.

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Garage
Interesting problem. I'm wondering about drive train, put your Rubi on jacks, transfer case in neutral and turn the tires - they should be pretty easy to move. Manual transmissions are fairly trouble free due to their relative simplicity.
Mouse and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Rubicus Maximus

If the transmission is getting that hot then the oil will be burnt and stinky, like smell up the whole shop stinky. Are you sure you don't have a exhaust leak or something like that causing the heat? I would think if the transmission is getting that hat it wouldn't survive more that a few miles.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodesmo View Post
Maybe bearings??? Friction increases with speed???

Strange that at under 55 it's not too hot, then heats up above that speed..
It's still hot, but just not too unbearable. At 70+ it started to melt the boot around the shifter (the lower one, not the one you see in the cab).

Where are the bearings ? I assume that's maybe on input and output shafts?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
If the transmission is getting that hot then the oil will be burnt and stinky, like smell up the whole shop stinky. Are you sure you don't have a exhaust leak or something like that causing the heat? I would think if the transmission is getting that hat it wouldn't survive more that a few miles.
Hmm. I kinda expected it to exploded or something even going slower at that point, was almost surprised it didn't.

I'm actually sure I do have a leak, but it's been there a little while. Rear-ended and the tail pipe is bent at the muffler. The only thing there is that I would expect to smell something if it was coming up through the shifter.

It makes me think though that I might actually want to verify (somehow) that it is the transmission getting hot. I assumed that there is nothing else close enough that could matter.
johncanfield likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Garage
Get a temperature/laser gun. Point the red dot at what you want to tell you the temp on. Measures in Celsius or Fahrenheit. Think I got mine at Lowes or Home Depot. Bought it to check temps when I was breaking in my new 4.56 gears six years ago. Works great. Use it on my travels just to check temps out on different things. My black cat really gets hot standing in the noonday sun! Works on the grease in my fish fryer also. Frank
johncanfield likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
Get a temperature/laser gun.
Might do that.
The more I check it out, the more I think exhaust is likely. There are other wire harness with the black plastic sheath, and rubber hoses that run close to the top of trans and there is no sign of melting.

I drove it just down the street and sticking my fingers through the shifter boot I could feel puffs of hot air coming followed by normal air. I'm thinking the running at slower mph yesterday maybe just changed the airflow enough that it would change the upward flow.

That would be great! I'll check more and report back.
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Garage
I wouldn't drive it with exhaust coming in the cabin.
etropic and FLLJ like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
You do not mention the type of skid plates you have. I have the full Rokmen skids that cover the engine oil pan back to the transfer case. These heat up from the exhaust that crosses over near the engine oil pan.

I have the same heating issue but not hot enough that I can not touch the center console. I did not notice the issue till after I installed a full metal tuffy console.

During the summer on long trips, I have to wear sandals and pull the doors off, its that hot inside in the footwells.(this is WA not AZ) but recently I had to replace my upper cats to pass emissions (sucked since no more testing as of 1/1/2020) and I guessing that was causing some of my excess exhaust temps.

I also replaced the Tuffy console over the shifter from metal back to stock plastic (careful cutting) and so far that has helped some. I need to replace the lower shift boot, it was destroyed by the shop that did my clutch over a yr ago. That is allowing hot air to rise inside the console.
etropic and rlenglish like this.

'06 Solar Yellow SWB, 1" BMML, 1.25" BL, 2.5" OME HD, OME Shocks,TnT Rear Spring Relocators,Metal Cloak Alum Cntrl Arms F&R, 295/75R16 General AT2, 4.88 gears, 8274 winch, Gobi rack
'06 Liberty CRD green with budget lift
'43 Willys MB, work in progress
M416 Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page