04 Rubicon speedometer quit p1692 code - Rubicon Owners Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

04 Rubicon speedometer quit p1692 code

Like the title says, I have an 04 Rubicon that the speedometer has quit and it’s throwing a CEL and p1692 code. I decided I was just going to swap out the speed sensor but the one my local NAPA gave me was obviously not the right one so I pulled the original out and got part # 05033202AB off of it. After an hour of Google it appears that the part is obsolete.... generally how my luck goes. I can’t find a part that crosses over, heck I don’t even know if it’s the failure.

A little explanation leading up to the speedometer quitting. I had to put an new oil pan on it therefore the starter and exhaust had to come off. The battery was disconnected for about a week and I had to drop the skid plate to remove the exhaust. The transfer cas was supported with a jackstand on the output shaft while the skid was off. The transfer case didn’t get moved around enough to damage wires to the best of my knowledge and I’m not sure if having the battery disconnected would cause the issue?

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
Disconnecting the battery wouldn't (shouldn't) cause that code to be set. I'm wondering if you didn't break a wire. Download a copy of the factory service manual and check the wiring. ROF member renglish in one of our Jeep experts here, maybe he will chime in.

I'm amazed that part wouldn't be available - my local Jeep dealer has an on-line parts ordering feature, input your VIN and you can look for the parts with a graphic breakdown. I'll bet your local dealer has a similar system.
sierrabob likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Rubicus Maximus

P1692-CLUSTER SOFTWARE MISMATCH
INCORRECT CLUSTER INSTALLED

INCORRECT AXLE RATIO,TIRE SIZE, OR T/CASE INFO
Set Condition: When the PCM is initialized, it sends out a request to the cluster for Tire

Size, Axle Ratio and T-case data. The PCM does this 3 times, once every 1.87 seconds. If the

Cluster does not respond with the correct information after the third time, this fault will

set in the PCM. The PCM will only request this data upon a NAVRAM reset, initial module

power-up, battery disconnect/reconnect cycle, or manual reset of the module performed

with a diagnostic tool.

johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Rubicus Maximus

How are you pulling your codes? If you have a scanner than read the pcm data while on a drive to see if it is getting a speed signal.
Is your cluster working properly other than the speedometer?
If you don't have a scanner or access to one this is what I would do: Do another battery disconnect. Remove both terminals and touch them together to remove any static voltage. Try this a few times.
Make sure your fuses and grounds are good. It never hurts to install a few auxiliary grounds. One from the engine to body and body to battery.
In my area TJ's are known for electrical connection issues at the cluster itself. This code would lead me to believe its the communication wires. Remove the cluster and clean the connections with electrical cleaner. Try routing the cluster wiring a little differently, it may put different tension on the connection.
If none of this works you may have a cluster that piled it up. I would pay someone to diagnose it before you replace it.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Does your speed control work?
johncanfield likes this.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

I’m not sure what the last question means, the speed comtrol I’m assuming works because when I datalog with my superchips it tells me the speed, the odometer continues to log miles as well so I’m thinking the sending unit or speed control is indeed working. I just unhooked the battery leads and touched them together for 30 seconds to drain any capacitors, my scanner and superchips still will not clear the code, spedo still no workey and still logs miles..... any more suggestions?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

It just dawned on me speed control = cruise control, yes cruise works great 👍🏻
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Rubi Noobie

I just went through the rusted out oil pan thing on my 04 too.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
I just went through the rusted out oil pan thing on my 04 too. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/IMG]
Good time wasn’t it 😂🙄
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Bump

Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page