Rubicon Owners Forum banner

04 Rubicon speedometer quit p1692 code

17K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Dat 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I have an 04 Rubicon that the speedometer has quit and it’s throwing a CEL and p1692 code. I decided I was just going to swap out the speed sensor but the one my local NAPA gave me was obviously not the right one so I pulled the original out and got part # 05033202AB off of it. After an hour of Google it appears that the part is obsolete.... generally how my luck goes. I can’t find a part that crosses over, heck I don’t even know if it’s the failure.

A little explanation leading up to the speedometer quitting. I had to put an new oil pan on it therefore the starter and exhaust had to come off. The battery was disconnected for about a week and I had to drop the skid plate to remove the exhaust. The transfer cas was supported with a jackstand on the output shaft while the skid was off. The transfer case didn’t get moved around enough to damage wires to the best of my knowledge and I’m not sure if having the battery disconnected would cause the issue?

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Disconnecting the battery wouldn't (shouldn't) cause that code to be set. I'm wondering if you didn't break a wire. Download a copy of the factory service manual and check the wiring. ROF member renglish in one of our Jeep experts here, maybe he will chime in.

I'm amazed that part wouldn't be available - my local Jeep dealer has an on-line parts ordering feature, input your VIN and you can look for the parts with a graphic breakdown. I'll bet your local dealer has a similar system.

Reactions: sierrabob
#3 ·
P1692-CLUSTER SOFTWARE MISMATCH
INCORRECT CLUSTER INSTALLED

INCORRECT AXLE RATIO,TIRE SIZE, OR T/CASE INFO
Set Condition: When the PCM is initialized, it sends out a request to the cluster for Tire

Size, Axle Ratio and T-case data. The PCM does this 3 times, once every 1.87 seconds. If the

Cluster does not respond with the correct information after the third time, this fault will

set in the PCM. The PCM will only request this data upon a NAVRAM reset, initial module

power-up, battery disconnect/reconnect cycle, or manual reset of the module performed

with a diagnostic tool.

Reactions: johncanfield
#4 ·
How are you pulling your codes? If you have a scanner than read the pcm data while on a drive to see if it is getting a speed signal.
Is your cluster working properly other than the speedometer?
If you don't have a scanner or access to one this is what I would do: Do another battery disconnect. Remove both terminals and touch them together to remove any static voltage. Try this a few times.
Make sure your fuses and grounds are good. It never hurts to install a few auxiliary grounds. One from the engine to body and body to battery.
In my area TJ's are known for electrical connection issues at the cluster itself. This code would lead me to believe its the communication wires. Remove the cluster and clean the connections with electrical cleaner. Try routing the cluster wiring a little differently, it may put different tension on the connection.
If none of this works you may have a cluster that piled it up. I would pay someone to diagnose it before you replace it.

#6 ·
I’m not sure what the last question means, the speed comtrol I’m assuming works because when I datalog with my superchips it tells me the speed, the odometer continues to log miles as well so I’m thinking the sending unit or speed control is indeed working. I just unhooked the battery leads and touched them together for 30 seconds to drain any capacitors, my scanner and superchips still will not clear the code, spedo still no workey and still logs miles..... any more suggestions?

#11 ·
So if you can read the speed with your scanner than you know that the sensor, wiring and pcm are okay. If the odometer works than the cluster is getting data bus communication. If I were to guess I would say you have a cluster gone South, or North depending what side of the border you're on.
There are companies that recondition this type of stuff.

#12 ·
So if you can read the speed with your scanner than you know that the sensor, wiring and pcm are okay. If the odometer works than the cluster is getting data bus communication. If I were to guess I would say you have a cluster gone South, or North depending what side of the border you're on.

When doing the cluster test (holding the trip odometer reset button when turning key on) all the gauges cycle including the speedometer, can anyone confirm that this test proves the speedometer/cluster is operational, or better yet this test confirms good communication between the spedometer and PCM?

#13 ·
The self test doesn't prove that the cluster is calculating the information. The odometer working proves that the pcm signal to the cluster is okay, the cluster is just not completing the cycle.

#14 ·
Your odometer is counting up right? It isn't stuck on one mileage? Your TJ runs on a pci single wire data bus, so if the odometer is working properly than the data bus is okay. Another test would be to cycle the key three times to read the fault codes off the cluster. If you don't have any than unplug a engine sensor to create one. They should be sent then read in the cluster.

#16 ·
So Your odometer is counting up right???

#18 ·
Odometer counting up and speed control works. We can determine that the speed inputs to the pcm are okay. We know we have communication to the cluster.
This code is originated when the pcm and cluster don't match with regards to tire size and axle ratio. If you installed a used cluster than you could still have a problem.
Can you get into the pcm to read the axle ratio, tire size etc with your scanner?
When this started did anything unusual happen?

#19 ·
No I can’t get that info with my scanner, it’s a cheap code reader, normally it clears codes but it will not clear this one.

This all started after swapping my oil pan, I disconnected the battery because I had to pull the starter and had to drop the passenger side of the skid to get the exhaust out of the way. The transfer case was supported by a jack stand and I simply removed the passenger side skid bolts and loosened the driver side to get the pipe out of the way. Battery was disconnected for about a week while all this was going on, when I hooked the battery back up the CEL was on, I just assumed it was from one of the O2 sensors I had unplugged when the exhaust was off but after a test drive noticed the speedometer wasn’t working, ran the code and here we are. Kind of sounding like I need to take it to someone that has a real scan tool...

#20 ·
Borrowed a friends Snapon scanner and I can’t get into the vehicle specs with it so I can’t see gear ratios and whatnot. It will not clear the code either, is it safe to assume that because it is logging miles and the cruise control works and I have tried another cluster with same CEL and still no speedometer that I have a bad ECM?

#21 ·
Possible. Does his scanner show MPh in the ecm. Not all snap on scanners have the same capability for data. You might need to find a better scanner.

#22 ·
Rear wiper & overdrive lockout & axle switch pod assembly may be suspect. Disconnecting these items should result in restoration of normal operation of panel illumination, speedometer and shift indicator.
I just ran across this it might be something to try.

#24 ·
Try it. The way I read it is that it gets interference that locks up the cluster. It is worth a shot.

#31 ·
Welcome to ROF! This thread has been a bit intermittent. If you don’t receive a response within a day or two, open up a new thread with your issue and some background. While your waiting you could visit and comment in some of the other threads. We’re a friendly group.

#33 ·
Like the title says, I have an 04 Rubicon that the speedometer has quit and it’s throwing a CEL and p1692 code. I decided I was just going to swap out the speed sensor but the one my local NAPA gave me was obviously not the right one so I pulled the original out and got part # 05033202AB off of it. After an hour of Google it appears that the part is obsolete.... generally how my luck goes. I can’t find a part that crosses over, heck I don’t even know if it’s the failure.

A little explanation leading up to the speedometer quitting. I had to put an new oil pan on it therefore the starter and exhaust had to come off. The battery was disconnected for about a week and I had to drop the skid plate to remove the exhaust. The transfer cas was supported with a jackstand on the output shaft while the skid was off. The transfer case didn’t get moved around enough to damage wires to the best of my knowledge and I’m not sure if having the battery disconnected would cause the issue?

Anyone have any suggestions?
I am still messing around trying to fix mine. Am yea as yours. Dealers and transmission shop and part stores couldn’t get to remove or figure out how to fix that p1692 code.
what about the manufactory ?
Dat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.