Banks Turbo Kit opinion - Page 4 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
What tipped me over the edge to supercharge was at one year's All For Fun event in Leadville, CO. I was trying to keep up on the drive to the trailhead - we were at about 9,000' elevation and our Rubi felt like we were dragging an anchor. Lower elevations weren't quite as bad but the blower has made a huge difference on the highway.
Mouse, MxRubicon and Night Hawk like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLJ View Post
Donít think so. If you have a lot of miles on your rig it might be a good idea to replace the warm up cats if you add the turbo. If you donít live in California itís not a big hit.
If they come apart the turbo really wonít like it.
=$$$$
I was one of the unlucky ones. Not only did my EPDA fail twice and was failing for the third time. The precats also burned and clogged the exhaust system. All of this was replaced under warranty but still---- Can't imagine what a turbo would look like with cat crap in its guts.
Desert Dog and ArkansasRubi like this.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
What tipped me over the edge to supercharge was at one year's All For Fun event in Leadville, CO. I was trying to keep up on the drive to the trailhead - we were at about 9,000' elevation and our Rubi felt like we were dragging an anchor. Lower elevations weren't quite as bad but the blower has made a huge difference on the highway.
John ,I would love to know what Supercharger you are using and what other mods you have dune to your 4.0? If you will

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
He has a RIPP supercharger, you can read about it here:
https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/f...-comments.html
and here
https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/f...ject-rpip.html
johncanfield likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
Here's a video of my Rubi on the dyno with the RIPP.
Desert Dog, Wood and Night Hawk like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
John which pulley are you running?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
John which pulley are you running?
I don't remember the diameter but it's slightly smaller than the one RIPP normally uses. One of my requirements when I was chatting with RIPP was good performance at high altitudes. Even with the smaller pulley I don't think the engine ever goes above 8-10 pounds of boost (good for engine longevity.)
Mouse and Night Hawk like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:24 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Bought a spool of stainless wire for the mig. Cut apart and cleaned out the cats. The catalyst medium was melted and had plugged the turbine housing. Runs fine, no MIL but I only drove it for 20 minutes. Time will tell.

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Hey @Wood what type of MPG hit did you notice with the Banks and does it require premium fuel?

I have 33's with 4.10 gears on my 04 and got about 13mpg driving out to west Texas this past weekend. The Jeep did okay but last October when I was in Durango I struggled to keep up with a JKU on 37s getting to the trail head.

I am between a LS swap and the Banks. I know John has the RIPP and seen it in action but it seems RIPP doesn't make the TJ/LJ version anymore. Trying to get more real life experience from people who have the Banks.

Thanks.

Chris

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
The mileage didnít really change much with the 32Ē tires. I could go easy on the highway and get 450 kms to a tank. With the 35ís and stock gearing Iím generally at 1-3 psi at 110 kms/h. It is a bit heavier with the ARB and winch on front, tools and trail spares, and the rear bumper with swing out tire carrier I built. The TT and long arm suspension adds some weight too I guess. I honestly donít know what the mileage is now. I canít seem to drive it without dipping deep into the boost. It always puts a smile on my face. With the BOV spacer it sounds very cool ha ha ha. I have never regretted the banks kit. It is extremely well engineered. Even when the precats melted down the turbine housing caught the chunks and the turbine was unharmed. Was that by design? No idea but like I said, very well engineered. I have to run 91 octane or a bottle of octane boost with cheap gas. With an intercooler and a lighter right foot I would guess that the tendency for spark knock would be reduced but thatís just a theory. As far as performance there is no turbo lag. I have had multiple buddies state a SC is a better way to go until they got behind the wheel. Check the dyno sheets on the banks website, with the kit (not inter cooled) it is making 300 ft pounds below 2000 rpm IIRC. When I get my F100 project running I will likely intercool the LJ. 😜

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page