Rear brakes both started dragging - Rubicon Owners Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Rear brakes both started dragging

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted last, but both rear brakes of my 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon started simultaneously dragging. I'm hoping that someone can help me diagnose the problem.

Some observations:
  • The slides and guide bolts of both rear calipers are clean, lubbed, and not stuck
  • Both started dragging at the same time (seemingly indicates problem must be common to both, even though both rear calipers are now 15 years old)
  • Calipers are free after sitting for a couple days, but stuck after firing the jeep up and going on a short ride (seemingly indicates problem must be hydralic)

At this point, I'm considering replacing the master cylinder and/or the proportioning valve. Any thoughts?

-Kehyler

S.D.G.

Last edited by Kehyler; 05-23-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
I believe somebody here had problems with the front brake(s) dragging, I think the problem was the caliper but I like your logic.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Rubicus Maximus

You need calipers at that age but for both to pack it in at the same time would be unusual. Have you been off road and crimped a brake line? I would suspect a aging rear brake hose before a master cylinder.
SteveVB and FLLJ like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
You need calipers at that age but for both to pack it in at the same time would be unusual. Have you been off road and crimped a brake line? I would suspect a aging rear brake hose before a master cylinder.
After the t-off, both rear brake lines on the axle do have an an area showing rust. I suppose that I could start with that b/c its a safety issue, and has a small possibility of solving the brake dragging issue.

I've never bought a brake line before, can someone make a recommendation? I'm willing to get a good part.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Garage
have you tried bleeding the passenger and then the driver side rear calipers to see what kind of flow you have?

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

^ No, I hadn't. Are you suggesting to do that just to see if the rust is pinching the lines?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Rubicus Maximus

It probably isn't rust in the lines. I mean it could be but brake fluid is designed to adsorb moisture. That's why only race cars use synthetic brake fluid.
Your brake hose that goes from the frame to the rear axle is what I was suggesting. The inner liner can deteriorate over time and cause a lot of problems. When you press the brake pedal you make a lot of pressure but the fluid is returned just by the elastic action of the caliper seals. If the hose is restricted or collapsing the fluid won't return.
If things aren't seized. Where I live they always are. You could fill the master and leave the lid off. Crack the bleeders and see if fluid comes out. It should gravity bleed. Then if it doesn't, work your way up cracking lines, you should be able to find a restriction somewhere.
If fluid comes out of your caliper bleeders but the brakes don't release then it is both calipers.
SteveVB likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I agree with rlenglish. I just went through a bad rubber hose on my GC.

My recommendation is to first press the brakes, remove the wheels, try to turn the rotors (they likely wonít) crack a bleeder, then try to turn them again. If the wheels still donít turn itís a caliper. Otherwise itís a line or proportioning valve.

Next check you brake fluid in the MC for contaminates. This may indicate a blockage in the line.

Then the chase begins. I recommend just replacing the rubber sections as they age over time.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johncanfield likes this.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Rubicus Maximus

As stated above brake lines. Also dirty fluid if it hasn't been flushed in a while. Remove it all when replacing brake components. Its a 15 year old vehicle.

I would replace your brake lines and hoses from the frame mount to calipers- five parts- rubber hose frame to axle, steel line axle to caliper x 2 and rubber brake hose from steel line to caliper x2.

I had a sticking driver side caliper, replaced rotors calipers pads , and same problem, replaced all of the lines and no problems.

The rubber caliper hose liners were swollen I believe.

The parts are difficult to find and the crown replacement I got for passenger side leaked. Dealer doenst have assemblies any more. I think Crown is the only supplier of the stock one piece axle tube /hose assembly. You can make them up yourself - hard lines bend flare and nut, hoses you can source from parts store. I thought about Teflon lines after the first replacement leaked but time conspired against me.

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page