OPDA issues... - Rubicon Owners Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
OPDA issues...

So let's say for arguments sake that someone... lined up the holes on the OPDA as required to change it, and put a plastic pin the the aligned holes.

Then let's say that person was attempting to remove the bolt and accidentally turned the OPDA itself.. and the plastic pin broke.

Should said person pull out the plastic pieces and turn the engine over to re-align it or should this person try and turn the OPDA back into position?

Asking for a friend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I dont have an opda but if its like a distributor it has to be in a properly clocked position or your engines not going to turn over or going to throw a code

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
I dont have an opda but if its like a distributor it has to be in a properly clocked position or your engines not going to turn over or going to throw a code
It's a little different than a distributor. I owned a '97 TJ myself and yes understand that.

Thanks though!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Rubi Wheeler

If all you did was move the OPDA housing and not the motor, just realign the holes, use a pin punch to hold the housing in correct alignment.

06 LJ Rubicon with a couple upgrades
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldo View Post
If all (s)he did was move the OPDA housing and not the motor, just realign the holes, use a pin punch to hold the housing in correct alignment.
Fixed it for you.
johncanfield and NoMoreXJ like this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Thanks man, I missed that one.

06 LJ Rubicon with a couple upgrades
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Haha okay that's what I thought. "He" did have a pin it, but it broke.. this time he used an allen wrench.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
So I got the old one out.. the old one's sensor is fused in and there's no chance of getting it out. I tried to remove it and now it's broken into bit, but the sensor is still in there!

So got everything set and aligned on the new one and getting the P0016 code. Made sure I'm TDC, not 180 out.. pulled the first spark plug and everything. Did this at least 10 times.. tried doing minor adjustments to the OPDA to try and get it to go away.. no luck.

Happens after about 160 degrees, and goes into limp mode just after 3k RPMs. Otherwise, seems to drive fine.

Going to call around to the stealerships tomorrow to see if I can find a new sensor.

Unfortunately, my brother in-law who also has an '05 LJ is out of town with his Jeep so I can't steal his to test.

(Fortunately he won't signup for forums, so he'll never know that I'd do such a thing. )
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:13 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I've got a thread here about my OPDA woes and also I'm not an expert just try to read, listen and understand. Here is what I have gathered.

My understanding is that the dealer or someone with a Chrysler scanner needs to set the OPDA. I was able to move mine around and find a spot where the engine ran fine, at least didn't throw codes for the test ride.

But... I was told that the computer coordinates the fuel-air mixture based on the OPDA's data. That would mean for the engine to run right, beyond our seat of the pants assessment, you need to get the scan done.

2005 Rubicon
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Rubi Crawler

Which OPDA did you go with? I put in the crown, used the sensor it came with and I have had zero issues. I tossed the factory sensor in the toolbox that stays in the jeep based on statements made by others, but the Crown sensor is running strong. I am curious if you bought the Dorman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page