My Jeep is SO special....... - Rubicon Owners Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

My Jeep is SO special.......

After much cursing and yelling, my jeep is running again. Why is it so special?

Because it got the very last ECM in Jeep Dealer inventory in the whole United States. I don't know how many 2006 Unlimited Rubi's with the 4.0 and a stick were made, but they had better hope their computer can be repaired if it goes bad cause there just ain't another one left in Jeepland.

It all started with a sudden die while driving to town 6 weeks ago. Engine shut down, guages went flat (as in no power), turn key to start and it would just crank, never fire. Turn key to off and then to start and away it goes with a cam shaft position sensor code. It would run for a little bit then repeat the death cycle. I got it back to the house by restarting and getting as much speed as I could and then coast.

Really confusing issues....... gave me a headache. After a few days I sent it to my mechanic (boy was he happy with the description). He did some of the same things I tried and got no further. We finally decided the code was not real and the issue was a short with a wiring harness. I even spent an hour and half with him one morning after work pulling and tugging and checking and scratching our heads. Could not get a replication consistently. Finally he accidently bumped the ECM with an elbow reaching for the main harness at the back of the engine. Boom! There it is! Bad computer........... (In my head I'm saying very bad words.)

Our local auto parts house, O'rielly's Automotive, contracts with Blue Streak/Steam/ I don't remember the name for sure; to do computer repair at about one third the price of a new computer from the dealer. Only it's a three week lead time. We get it back after four weeks and he tests it out. They even flashed it as part of the deal. Works great. un all over town. Let it sit and idle in his parking lot. No problems. I got about two miles away from the shop and the Jeep died. Same problem, turns out they didn't fix it because it worked fine after a five hour shake test. But they didn't have it powered up when they tested, so no heat buildup.

Evidently the discussion went downhill and my mechanic went looking for a new computer which he found. THE LAST ONE. Will they get more made? Who knows? If the gravel roads that I live on beat this new ECM to death I may have to ................ well I'm not sure what.

Evidently there is enough difference in the years that a ECM from 2005 wouldn't work. At least that is what the dealership is saying. I have my broken ECM. I can't decide if i want to try to have somebody else repair it or take it apart to see what the real problem was or just use it for target practice or frame the darn thing and hang it on the wall.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.

As I age I prefer to mentally regress so that nobody expects much from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
You are welcome. I even read your entire post. You are welcome again.
johncanfield and Night Hawk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thanks! Some times the Irish in me comes out and I get windy. Probably should have put this somewhere else, maybe Off-Topic?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:33 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I'd crack it I open and have a boo. What the heck...

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
Thanks! Some times the Irish in me comes out and I get windy. Probably should have put this somewhere else, maybe Off-Topic?
Nah, it's fine here.

Curiosity got the better of me and I did a little searching on ECUs and PCMs. I was always under the assumption the circuit board(s) were potted in epoxy or some sort of resin due to the harsh environment. Vibration and extreme heat-cool cycles are murder to electronics and circuit board lands.

Apparently the Jeep PCM is not potted and somebody familiar with soldering and working with surface mount components could take a stab at "rebuilding" a PCM. I suspect "rebuilding" is actually reheating solder pads and a close inspection of the board under a microscope looking for cracked traces. Then the shop probably re-flashes the PCM and hopes for the best.

Actually performing diagnostics on a PCM would require lots of specialized test equipment, specifically a logic analyzer/decoder and a good working knowledge of the PCM. Whoever builds the PCM would have a test jig and a complex program that checks every function of the PCM.

If you take the PCM apart - post some pictures for us.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
"If you take the PCM apart - post some pictures for us."

Absolutely, please post

Frank!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

If the info is correct that the board is not potted, then yeah, I'm going in there when I get a chance to figure out how to open it up. It's gonna have to wait for a bit............. I have to figure out why my wipers don't work now. I would do it tonight, but there are a lot of skeeters outside and I'm tired of swatting at them while I mowed lawn today.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:41 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
...potted ....
Hey John, You confused what "potted" is?
Stinger and johncanfield like this.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Sarcastic Moderator

Thanks for taking the last one, I have 2 6 speed LJs LOL
Stinger likes this.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwarpo View Post
Thanks for taking the last one, I have 2 6 speed LJs LOL
Not to worry, I got a call from my mechanic. They (dealer) wanted the old PCM back as a core. So I didn't get to crack it open and see inside but somebody will probably get it fixed and put it on the shelf to sell.

Here's hoping neither of us needs it........
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page