Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi

So my TJ Rubi is almost paid off and I am thinking of trading it in for a new JK 4 door. I owe less on the TJ than they are offering me on trade. The TJ is paid off in about 6 months.

There are some pretty good incentives right now and I would be getting a good deal on the trade.

Things I am thinking about.

How capable is a stock 4 door JK Rubicon versus my Lifted TJ Rubi on 33s. Since the JK comes with 32s stock and has better approach and departure angles it should be about the same IMO, other than the break over angle would be slightly worse (running stock skid aka shovel on my TJ still)

How expensive would it be to put 35s (thinking with a 2.5 lift) on the JK over the next year. Would Like to go to Moab next year with a group of local wheelers. Some are lifted XJs on 31-32s and a Lifted Toyota Surf (4 runner) on 33s

Is a 4door JK rubicon a better DD than my TJ as it sits.

Is the payments over the next 5 years worth having a bumper to bumper warranty for the next 3 and power train for 5, vs having a ticking time bomb as it sits right now.

I have spent alot of money on maintenance lately and I know there is more down the line (starter, rear axle bearings need to be done for one). I have been doing most of the repairs myself with the help of some friends but it still costs money to buy the parts. Some of the stuff has been easy to do but I have run into situations where I had to pay alot of money for a shop to do work for me.

I am 28 and working on moving out into a apartment and not sure ill be able to afford a DD and my TJ once the TJ is paid off due to insurance, maintenance storage and repairs on both a DD and a 7 year old TJ. And I am not sure I would be happy with a TJ DD.

I require my vehicle for work as I am often on call and get called into work sometimes to do work after hours etc.

I would like to be able to take road trips without stuff breaking down on the side of the road (hasnt happened yet).

I am hoping someone else has been in a similar situation or some some wisdom or advice they want to share.

2004 Rubi, Rough Country 3.25" SL, 1" MML, 1.25" BL, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Smitty built SRC bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Official WebWheeler

Re: Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi

I've been thinking the same thing, for the last 2.5 years.......

see my thread here: viewtopic.php?p=669648#p669648

Warranty is a good thing.

35s with 2.5"-3" lift is doable.

Mine was a ticking time-bomb, and blew up! (well, not literally, but the motor failed). 7/70 powertrain covered it. Mine's on 04 as well.

JK makes a far more suitable rig for driving long distances.. i.e., a better "road trip" rig.

It never hurts to try and sell it on your own, because you will get far more doing that than trading it in.... though sometimes selling it on your own takes forever.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox1
I've been thinking the same thing, for the last 2.5 years.......

see my thread here: viewtopic.php?p=669648#p669648

Warranty is a good thing.

35s with 2.5"-3" lift is doable.

Mine was a ticking time-bomb, and blew up! (well, not literally, but the motor failed). 7/70 powertrain covered it. Mine's on 04 as well.

JK makes a far more suitable rig for driving long distances.. i.e., a better "road trip" rig.

It never hurts to try and sell it on your own, because you will get far more doing that than trading it in.... though sometimes selling it on your own takes forever.

yeah selling it isn't much of a option probably end up in the same price situation as i am now

Considering my jeep is modified they are only offering me 8200 due to the laws here they cant really safety it and resell it so they have to sell it to another used car dealer to try to fix up and make legal again. And I can only imagine how hard it would be to sell a lifted TJ the way it sits, probably would end up back to 8200 after I fixed everything that might need to be changed.

one thing I didnt include is that recently there has been a HUGE crack down on modified vehicles. As it sits with 33s, a 3.25 suspension, and a 1.25 body lift my jeep is illegal.

If I get pulled in for inspection I have 15 days to fix it or the insurance is pulled.

This would mean I would have to get spacers, or different rims to make my track width wider, new fender flares to now cover the tires that stick out, and a set of mud flaps. And this is only the stuff I know for sure is illegal, they also check for maintenance items, leaks, worn out parts etc.

I could build a 4door JK with 35s to be street legal here due to the laws of track width vs frame/body height.

2004 Rubi, Rough Country 3.25" SL, 1" MML, 1.25" BL, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Smitty built SRC bumpers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Official WebWheeler

Yikes, now I see why it makes sens to trade it and be done with it.

Every state/province has different laws, etc regarding vehicles. In WA state, we are fortunate to not have to get inspections on our rigs every year or every other year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what changes for the 2012 model year.

Heck, if you fold down the back seat in a JK U, there's room to sleep in one.

I like the larger cargo area, better road manners due to long wheelbase compared to my TJ, and a plethora of other things as well.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I am sure this has all been discussed before but, here's my unsolicited opinion and it is completely sanitized of the "Jeep" thing. I think through this with any "new vehicle versus keeping the old one" thought process while, obviously on a budget. If, I had to face the OP's options, I would think about several things.

1. Six months of payments to have generic vehicle paid off.
2. What is known to be solid on the current vehicle and unlikely to need major repairs soon.
3. Costs of worst case scenarios, such as engine or tranny deaths on current used vehicle versus payments for a new vehicle for another half decade or longer.

These are just a few things that I consider and yes, I am on a budget. Throw in things like modifications and things just go downhill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
............... Greg you don't need any F...... pictures! ...............
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Rubi Crawler

I would try and make it "legal", remove the lift etc. or what ever, there are plenty of stock replacement parts on craigslist for cheap, and sell it yourself and get more $. since you already have a lift in mind for the new one, is it going to be legal when your done? i would tell the dealer to pound sand...i dont like dealers for trade-ins..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Well the salesmen found me one here in the city.

Silver,
Leather,
Dualtop
Auto Climate control
6spd
Uconnect

They found it at another dealer they just gotta PDI it and then its all mine, Ill be taking out my stereo and stuff from my TJ tomorrow and I should be able to pick up my new JK on Monday or Tuesday.

Also I may have a side deal on the TJ, that might get me some extra cash instead of trading it in, but I told the person show me the money!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Official WebWheeler

The auto climate control is a MUST HAVE for me... my last truck and my current truck have it.... it's really nice.

Doug
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox1
The auto climate control is a MUST HAVE for me... my last truck and my current truck have it.... it's really nice.
its all a bonus for me, my TJ doesnt have AC, it was still a option in 04, but I am glad the previous owner went with the dual top anyway, a Jeep isnt a Jeep without a soft top

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via MSN to Topless Rubi

Top off and AC on sure got a few strange looks the first summer I went to Rennie

The Jeeps not wandering It just hates pavement.
2006 Rubicon On board Air 2.5" lift kit and more dents in the skids than I can count

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page