Brakes dragging slightly, recurring problem - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Brakes dragging slightly, recurring problem

Anybody have any tips to keep the front brakes from dragging slightly? I've bled the lines, am on my second set of pads & rotors (at 36k) and have of course taken apart the caliper to grease the slides (done 3x now - once when I replaced the pads & rotors, once when I pulled the axles to put Alloys in, once when I installed new hubs).

They just drag slightly, but it's enough to wear brake pads fairly quickly as well as cause a slight squealing at low speeds. I know that offroad dirt & dust will make it worse, but this happens all the time on mine even after I take the wheel off and clean everything out with a hose.

'05 Impact Orange TJ LWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Re: Brakes dragging slightly, recurring problem

time for new calipers..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

At 36k?! No way....will live with the squealing...

'05 Impact Orange TJ LWB

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Rubicus Maximus

dude, a caliper is like $30 at vato zone... I just did both of mine on my 01 sport because they were locking up...

this was me on the way home one day..

trying to free the caliper along the interstate so i could get home...

ohh this jeep only has 45k on it...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

That's freakin lame! Have never had a caliper go that quick. What's the deal, the piston just doesn't retract once you let off the brake? Assume that's due to dirt and dust that works past the piston boot?

Come to think of it, what moves the piston back normally? I have taken apart a couple CJ-5 sets before and can't recall any internal spring or anything.

Didn't realize they are so cheap though, just looked it up on NAPA and they're $50 with pads. Will do them sooner than later I guess.

'05 Impact Orange TJ LWB
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

The slightly tapered cut of the piston seal pulls them back a couple thousandths.

If they drag, crack a bleeder. If they free, you need to fix the hydraulics. If they don't and the slides are OK, then you need calipers.

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Ya may have aftermarket pads with a hight metallic content that make it seem as though they're dragging more than the stockers.

BTW. The calipers are cheap and sh!tty (plastic piston and some other cheap crap). I replaced one of mine at 12K or something crazy. The dealer was the cheapest price.....go figure.

'03, 5spd, 4.5" RE SA, 4.88's, ARB Rear Locker w/33 Spline Superior Chromos, Superior Chromo Fronts, 35" KM2's, ORO U-turn all bent up, Reinforced Skid Row Engine Skid, RK Crossmember, Nth Pinion Sliders, Skid Row Gas Tank Skid, T-Maxx 10K w/Wireless Controller
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Rubi Crawler

Had similar problem with another vehicle and it was the actuating rod projecting a bit too far from the booster, not letting the hydraulic pressure release. As the good doctor suggested, if opening the bleed screw has ANY effect, the problem is upstream
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

It's also important to quantify the issue. Brake wear on a Jeep with 35's and stock brakes will be excessive to say the least. Brake drag while rotating a wheel is always vague to calculate and useless for diagnostics unless you need 2 hands to spin one or the rig doesn't roll on it's own.

The best thing to do is go for a ride with an infrared thermometer in tote. The brakes should be reasonably close to each other temps-wise from side-to-side (within 50 degrees) and within maybe 100 front to back. Fronts tend to be hotter.

If all the brakes are hot (300ish with the IR thermometer) then you brobably need more brakes (Hello, Vanco?). If they're hot on one axle and not on the other, fix the cooler axle. If all are in the 200's but one is hotter than that, go there first.

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Rubi Noobie

I've had issues with my rear calipers doing the same thing- I did the research on this subject on the ROF and found I wasn;t the only one- but no in my area had a caliper either, so I popped out the pistn and cleaned it, so far, no more problems.

I drive a lot of dusty, dirty, and wet and muddy trails with mine, so this really fit most operating circumstances for this problem. Let us know what you find is the real culprit,

I'm looking at the Vanco setup as well- it's worth checking out!

Duck

2005 Rubicon, 3 inch Full Traction Lift, 1.25 inch body lift, 1 inch engine lift, selectable locker upgrade, Warn 9000 lb winch, 35 inch Boggers Future: Tummy Tucker, Body Armour

Favorite Place: Black Hills of SD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page