Quick warranty tips? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 02:57 PM

Quick warranty tips?

Hi, don't know if General Tech is the right spot to ask this, but if not I'm sure you will tell me.

My question is, what has screwed up your warranty when trying to get service from a dealer and what have you gotten away with? I know all dealers are different, but perhaps us new Rubicon owners can learn from some of your experiences.

If you are running 33's and break an axle, did your dealer cover it? If you are running a K&N filter and your engine has probs, was it covered? Those are the kinds of things I'm curious about.

As always, thanks for your help,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:28 PM
mac
Administrator

Chris,

my example...
broke a rear axle and was out of warranty by time not by miles..
i did not abuse the jeep i had them always service it.
so i had it towed into the dealer and they said ..gee you have such low miles.. never once mentioned my BFG 33"" x 12.5'' tires..4'' pro cpmp lift
this was on my YJ i owend from brand new at 37K miles and 8 yrs old.
they also did a fuel injection thing that went out and some other minor things i had the K&N filter never an issue.

so my advise is establish a relationship with a dealer and you should be fine. if you go in cold they wont know you and might turn you down.

i checked with my service manager and mentioned i was gonna do a
R.E. long arm kit..
he said.. "WAY COOl.. i wana see it when its ready for offroad."
i had him change the computer for my larger tires ..NO CHARGE..
he said" mac you come here for service we owe you one.."

its all up to them and i dont think they can deny just because you lift a jeep ..

mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:48 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Re: Quick warranty tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrrp
Hi, don't know if General Tech is the right spot to ask this, but if not I'm sure you will tell me.

My question is, what has screwed up your warranty when trying to get service from a dealer and what have you gotten away with? I know all dealers are different, but perhaps us new Rubicon owners can learn from some of your experiences.

If you are running 33's and break an axle, did your dealer cover it? If you are running a K&N filter and your engine has probs, was it covered? Those are the kinds of things I'm curious about.

As always, thanks for your help,

Chris
Chris where are you from...I see you have the 82D patch on your aviatar...Pete M

--Rubicon Pete--

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Rubicus Maximus

A friend broke his front axel and it was covered even though it had 32's and a body and spacer lift. I also didn't have a problem when I bent the tie-rod crawling on a car. :evil:

'03 Rubicon
Not Quite Stock

I am not a lumberjack or a fur trader, or live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Susie from Canada, although I'm certain they are really, really nice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

My sevice manager just warrantied a failed ujoint cap w/a complete axle assemble..N/C
I'm running 6in. AiRock/35's

ROF Member #128
Founder of
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:17 PM

Hi Pete

Pete, I am in Northern California. Used to be stationed at Bragg 83-87. Spent some time crawling around Udari. Wish I had my Rubicon then.

Chris
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:31 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

My story involving my TJ..

Lifted 4 inches with 33s. Out on a great trail now names "Justin's Demise."

Aired down to about 10lbs.
Little too much right foot on a little too steep slick rock and POW.... the rear D35 shattered into a million bits. Winched up rock. Wheel fell off. Strapped wheel on. Limped down trail. Trailered, mud, aired down, wheel strapped on, to the dealership. New axle was installed next day no questions asked.

Pictures of the axle and the fix can be seen from the picture link on my page.

It helps to have a dealership like mine where ALL of the serviceguys park their locked and lifted TJs out back.

Justin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:41 AM

I have found you tend to get much better service from old time Jeep dealers rather than Chrysler dealers who added Jeep the their line up.

On a rock crawl trail a couple of years ago I was using my e-brake on my 2000 TJ to keep the track lock tight when a combination of heating the brakes too much and pulling the e-brake too hard siezed the brakes on the rear passenger corner. It twisted the backing plate, tore the wheel cylinder loose, dumped the brake fluid and grenaded everything inside the drum. When I took it to the service manager I told him what I did and said to fix whatever I broke and send me the bill when they were done. He looked at me like I was nuts and said "Its a Jeep, it's supposed to do stuff like that, it will all be warranty." When I got it back he told me that he had decided to change the axle shaft while they had it apart "just in case it got tweaked", so there was no risk of it breaking and stranding me.
I would never buy another vehicle anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page