Rear Brake worn after 22000 miles ?!?!? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Rear Brake worn after 22000 miles ?!?!?

Hello! I brought the jeep to the dealer for an oil change and inspection! After the inspection the service manager told me that my rear brake were worn at about 80% .... but my truck is only at 22000 miles !!!!

That's not normal wear IMO....

Do you think I can get it done under warranty? The service manager didn't want to tell me that right away....he tought the same thing about how fast they worn... but didnt want to tell me if it was covered... maybe he wanted to talk to the boss before....

what do think about that? will it be covered... is it normal wear?? (dont think so... the rear brake worn before the front brakes!?!? )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Mine were worn at 8000 miles. Dealer stated that it was dirt related so I just bought lifetime warranty ones from Car Quest.

Funny, I must have been doing wheelies through the mud holes seeing as the fronts are still fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward51
Funny, I must have been doing wheelies through the mud holes seeing as the fronts are still fine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Rubicus Maximus

For my 03, the brakes are only covered to 12,000 miles, check your specific warranty coverage. Best bet probably is do like Ward51. You can also get lifetime warranty from auto parts stores and do it yourself if you like. Check your e-brake to make sure it's releasing completely and not dragging.

HTH,
Mark

When working on your Jeep, wear Northridge 4x4 T shirts...they're the BEST!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyathyrio
Check your e-brake to make sure it's releasing completely and not dragging.
When i bought the Rubi at 10000 miles, i brought it to the dealer to get the e-brake adjusted.... it was not holding even fully pulled! Maybe the pads were stuck when i took delivery of the truck... i dont know
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Sarcastic Moderator

The rears have the emergency brake in them so are more likely to jam and prematurely wear due to mud. Take extra washing them after wheeling.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Official WebWheeler

Hey, has anybody had trouble with the "lifetime warranty" brake pads? I've been told by several different people, including the manager of the local Auto Zone, that they're a harder material that'll last longer, but will chew up the rotors quicker.

When I replaced my fronts, I went with ones that had a "1 time warranty" where they'll give me one free set after those wear down. They said they weren't too hard and wouldn't wear the rotors out....guess time will tell.

'05 Impact Orange TJ LWB
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyathyrio
For my 03, the brakes are only covered to 12,000 miles, check your specific warranty coverage. Best bet probably is do like Ward51. You can also get lifetime warranty from auto parts stores and do it yourself if you like. Check your e-brake to make sure it's releasing completely and not dragging.

HTH,
Mark

The e-brake (mini-drum) is different than the standard pads.......so e-brake adjustment won't affect the caliper or pads, only the shoes. I'm assuming GG is referring to the pads only.

My pads were worn down at 21K when I checked 'em. I replaced with AZ lifetime pads. The one thing I noticed is how much thicker (compared to the factory pads) the new pads are. Actually pushed brake fluid outta the resivoir when compressing the piston to get the thicker pads on. I remember checking the rear pads periodically when new and noted how thin they were at that time......So it doesn't surprise me that they're shot at 21K. I'd say the new pads are anywhere from 2 to 2.5 times thicker than the factory pads.

So to answer your Q, I say it's normal for the thickness of the pad. I'd just replace yourself......It only takes around 15min per side, and you can check the e-brake shoes, and clean the drum at the same time.

'03, 5spd, 4.5" RE SA, 4.88's, ARB Rear Locker w/33 Spline Superior Chromos, Superior Chromo Fronts, 35" KM2's, ORO U-turn all bent up, Reinforced Skid Row Engine Skid, RK Crossmember, Nth Pinion Sliders, Skid Row Gas Tank Skid, T-Maxx 10K w/Wireless Controller
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJeepin
Hey, has anybody had trouble with the "lifetime warranty" brake pads? I've been told by several different people, including the manager of the local Auto Zone, that they're a harder material that'll last longer, but will chew up the rotors quicker.

When I replaced my fronts, I went with ones that had a "1 time warranty" where they'll give me one free set after those wear down. They said they weren't too hard and wouldn't wear the rotors out....guess time will tell.

Just keep 'em coated with WD-40

'03, 5spd, 4.5" RE SA, 4.88's, ARB Rear Locker w/33 Spline Superior Chromos, Superior Chromo Fronts, 35" KM2's, ORO U-turn all bent up, Reinforced Skid Row Engine Skid, RK Crossmember, Nth Pinion Sliders, Skid Row Gas Tank Skid, T-Maxx 10K w/Wireless Controller
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Official WebWheeler

Hah! Yeah that'd work....

Ya like my new Mulletude Dude?

<----

'05 Impact Orange TJ LWB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page