Need help maintaining Jeep only driven 2x/year - Rubicon Owners Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Need help maintaining Jeep only driven 2x/year

Hi All,

I have a new maintenance project that I'm unsure how to tackle. I have a 2003 rubicon whose future is to be trailered to off-road parks probably 2x/year. I suspect the maximum speed this jeep will now ever see is 30 mph, and that it will have less than 30 miles total/year driven. It's unlikely that the Jeep will ever see streets again.

I'm familiar with how to maintain vehicles when they are driven regularly, but I'd like some suggestions for this new maintenance project. Could someone suggest to me the things I should do?

Thanks!

-kehyler
WayWestJeep likes this.

S.D.G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:24 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Use a battery maintainer.
Put Stabil in the fuel and have a full tank.
Start it monthly, make sure the engine comes up to normal operating temperature and drive it around the block so the tires don’t flat spot.
Tires should be inflated to the max pressure as shown on the sidewalls.

Hopefully you can keep it inside.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLJ View Post
Use a battery maintainer...Ö.
I have this one and it works great. I move it around from the RV and infrequently driven vehicles, mostly in the winter. But if you wanted it can be left on a battery 24/7/365.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...a-568454549656
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41+n+Th-k4L._AC_.jpg (20.4 KB, 30 views)
BobsLJ and WayWestJeep like this.

My dogs name is Rubi

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Use a battery maintainer.
Put Stabil in the fuel and have a full tank.
Start it monthly, make sure the engine comes up to normal operating temperature and drive it around the block so the tires donít flat spot.
Tires should be inflated to the max pressure as shown on the sidewalls.

Hopefully you can keep it inside.
I can only do outside at the moment, does alter your advice? Are there ways to combat rodents?
WayWestJeep likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I have a friend that puts dryer sheets in his vehicles. He swears that it keeps the mice away. They don't smell bad either. Not like mothballs.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=%2Bdryer+%...l_6563vib6yz_e
johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

I always keep the Camaro on jack stands(it's the only car that really sits), and pull the stem cores out if it's going to be parked for longer than a few months. Tires don't like to be on the ground for long periods of time unless they are rotated occasionally :-p As mentioned fuel stabilizer and a battery tender if you don't have a cut off. I would just put in a cut off/disconnect as dealing with a tender is a pain in the ass as you also have to be a minder. If you have to have it on the ground, those little furniture dolly looking gizmos make moving it around easy without starting it. If it's outside, starting it every week will keep all the seals in good order. If its an auto, I would definitely drive it at least once every month or two as auto transmissions have been known to have issues from sitting. The last thing you want is to find yourself dropping the trans or trying crap like trans-x because it's stuck in first or the only way it will shift is by letting off the gas between each gear.
johncanfield and rlenglish like this.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.

Last edited by WayWestJeep; 01-13-2020 at 03:19 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWestJeep View Post
…….as dealing with a tender is a pain in the ass as you also have to be a minder......
If I am understanding this comment correctly, you are saying you have to watch or check on the battery tender? Not the one I suggested above. It is designed to be connected and left. It will slow charge and when it reaches a certain level stop and just maintain the battery. It will not overcharge. It can be connected 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year without ever monitoring it yourself.
Even a battery with a disconnect will go dead. I have an extra battery sitting in the garage I put the Battery Tender on for a couple days a week among infrequently driven vehicles. I only have one Battery Tender so it gets passed around like a high school cheerleader after a football game.

As far a mice... my wife swears cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil keeps them away.

My dogs name is Rubi

Last edited by geroux; 01-13-2020 at 04:15 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've had bad luck with the Battery Tender brand, had a couple of them die on me. For several years I've used Yuasa battery float chargers and use one on my Rubi, the mower, generator, etc. Never had one fail.

I try to get Rubi out of the shop once a month but sometimes that slips to once a quarter

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 AM

Garage
The only Battery Tender I’ve had an issue with is the one where the unit itself plugs into the wall. I have been using the ones like Geroux shows below on my motorhome for years with no issues. I also have a double unit that I keep my Jeep and wife’s Subaru hooked to all the time because both sit a lot. Like everything it seems, you’re bound to have a failure now and then.

To your outside in Minnesota storage issue:

Get a good cover.
Get wheel covers like the ones used on RV’s

Put a couple of mousetrap’s underneath it along with the other suggestions.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
The only Battery Tender Iíve had an issue with is the one where the unit itself plugs into the wall....
Yes, that's the one I avoid.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in