4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mouse
  • 1 Post By rlenglish
  • 2 Post By one12rubi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Gas cap

Has anyone had a reoccurring faulty gas cap reading? I've bought 2, and swapped one for a week, and no matter what, after about 5 days, I start throwing code and it keeps coming back with reader clearing, only goes away for a few days after battery reset, oohhh but it still comes back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Is this for a TJ? If so, I've read that others have had mixed results with different off-brand gas caps. I replaced mine probably 10 years ago with whatever the parts store had and I haven't had a problem.

What kind of problems are you experiencing?
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Gas cap error is a large leak in the evap system. If it isn't your cap then one of your vapour lines is broken.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

What model Jeep?

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Looks like he/she has a 2011 JKU. Based upon other posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Rubi Noobie

My 2012 JKUR is having the same problem. You may want to start at the fuel filler first. I will be inspecting the fuel filler specifically this weekend. Why? I went a little over a week with any codes or “gas cap” warning popping up. We put around 1000k on over that time period, but during the last fill up. I happened to put a little bit of force on the filler neck accidentally and noticed that there is a bit more movement than I would have expected to see. I then wiggled the filler while filling and had a thought that the gas cap and engine codes/light might be related? I decided to pay attention and expect the gas cap and engine light sometime in the next day or two if the symptoms returned. You probably guessed by now that the gas cap and engine light returned? Yes. Within one day/ 60-ish miles. The “gas cap” warning returned and the engine light came on just a couple hours ago. Good luck. I think we will both need it, but I am hopeful that my diagnosis is correct. Since I am unfamiliar with how the fuel filler is or should be attached. I am hoping to find that there is a brace that Is disconnected or broken. I will let you know what I find out.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page