• 1 Post By johncanfield
  • 1 Post By hutchman
  • 2 Post By one12rubi
  • 1 Post By Mouse

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Vibration and Squealing

Holy vibrations Batman! Not sure of anyone can help with this, but here it goes. A week ago, we pulled up to a stop. After we got going. There was a very prominent vibration and squealing that began when moving forward/backwards? We got out and had the other listen for the noise on a dirt road. The noise is coming from the center of the Jeep (transmission/Transfer case) area. I removed the front driveline and the vibration and noise were still present. By the time I drove to Les Schwab to have them take a look. The major vibration and noise had went away. There was still a vibration present. Also determined that the tires needed rebalancing from the last 10k of driving. We attributed the noise to maybe something had gotten stuck somewhere, as we had been wheeling at Naches the past Sunday. After completing, we set out for the weekend, but still had a small vibration. Well, the major vibration and noise returned yesterday on our return trip to Tonga Ridge. Vibrating the crap out of us from a dead stop all the way through. I have check the drivelines (upgraded Northwest Drivelines, yokes, etc), u-joints, transmission and motor mounts and everything seems tight. Any ideas? Maybe I am missing something. I am planning on taking our rig down to a repair shop today, but I was trying to see if I could make the repairs at home if I can figure out the cause? My fear is the transfer case has a bearing that took a crap or even a bent axle/wheel bearing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to ROF! What year is your Jeep? TJ-JK-JL or what?
WayWestJeep likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Like John said, year, model, transmission, miles?

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Welcome, you're close to my stompin' grounds!
Mouse likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Rubi Noobie

If it is axle related it will be slow frequency if you are observing it as some one drives it by you. If it is a driveshaft that got high centered on a rock and is bent it will only show up at 30 to 40 mph unless it is really croaked. And then you could see that easy. And it will not go away and come back. I am thinking transfer case is bad. Chain and sprockets or as you mentioned a failed bearing. Put it up on stands and run it while someone looks and listens. You should Home in on it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

So we were able to finally determine that the rear axle slip yoke froze up. In turn causing the rear most u-joint to fail. When the joint broke. The joint then wedged itself into the side of the flange. Unfortunately, the entire driveline was damaged beyond repair. The folks at Drivelines NW went out of their way to get a new axle built and balance in less than 5 hours and just in time for the long holiday weekend. Thanks for all the help in trying to figure this out. Happy thanksgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one12rubi View Post
Holy vibrations Batman! Not sure of anyone can help with this, but here it goes. A week ago, we pulled up to a stop. After we got going. There was a very prominent vibration and squealing that began when moving forward/backwards? We got out and had the other listen for the noise on a dirt road. The noise is coming from the center of the Jeep (transmission/Transfer case) area. I removed the front driveline and the vibration and noise were still present. By the time I drove to Les Schwab to have them take a look. The major vibration and noise had went away. There was still a vibration present. Also determined that the tires needed rebalancing from the last 10k of driving. We attributed the noise to maybe something had gotten stuck somewhere, as we had been wheeling at Naches the past Sunday. After completing, we set out for the weekend, but still had a small vibration. Well, the major vibration and noise returned yesterday on our return trip to Tonga Ridge. Vibrating the crap out of us from a dead stop all the way through. I have check the drivelines (upgraded Northwest Drivelines, yokes, etc), u-joints, transmission and motor mounts and everything seems tight. Any ideas? Maybe I am missing something. I am planning on taking our rig down to a repair shop today, but I was trying to see if I could make the repairs at home if I can figure out the cause? My fear is the transfer case has a bearing that took a crap or even a bent axle/wheel bearing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Sounds like a good shop!
Desert Dog likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page