Dumb "drill a hole" question. - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
good ole Sam and Dave still telling us how ti works and installing the parts that make things go and stop.

I see now what you are doing. Interesting way to apply the vehicle service brakes, cool.

again, I am sure you could go through the tube. I would put a 3/4OD .1 wall or so through it and then your cable through that. Something easy to weld and provide some structure back in.
I guess with this system it would be best to have the cable about level with the tow/brake adapter. could make the actual decision for you.

Thinking about what is behind the tube to get to through the engine compartment to the brake pedal area. Thats some fun routing as well.

feels like my trailer is so much easier now. But I get towing a trailer behind a RV has its own issues.

In the center behind the tube is a the front tub mount which is welded to the tube.

LOL, on this LJ getting the cable routed will be duck soup. It was difficult getting a good shot on the JK. On that JK you can toss $15 worth of dime under the hood and only $3.80 will make it to the floor. Gonna get at least $12.60 back on the LJ.

And yes, I love this hitch. If you ever get one install a 1/4" turnbuckle on the cable to get it adjusted just right. Only complaints I have with it are: It can be noisy. Clank-Clank in stop and go. And it is a lot more bulky than most hitches. It doesn't just fold up nice and compact like many others do.
inline6 and johncanfield like this.

BE HAPPY. AND GO TO CHURCH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FYI. One thing I discovered on the NSA Ready Brute Elite hitch is they have no adapters to connect the hitch to aftermarket bumper D rings. I was going to just build my own but decided on getting the Warrior Products adapter which I think may work as is or can be modified to work pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Produ...omotive&sr=1-3

NSA is very soon coming out with a newer version of the Ready Brute hitch and they also announced they will soon have available proper mounts for off road bumpers. On the JK I have the Rock Hard aluminum front bumper which uses very well built steel adapters that bolt to the Jeep frame.

not my JK but I have this set up.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...jpg&f=1&nofb=1

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 PM

Working on the LJ today I checked clearance between the bumper and tube.

There is about 1/2 inch between the bottom on the plate and the top of the tube. May be all the room you need

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
Working on the LJ today I checked clearance between the bumper and tube.

There is about 1/2 inch between the bottom on the plate and the top of the tube. May be all the room you need

I'll have to check mine. That Rokman bumper almost sits on the tube.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No room to go over the top. And the cable could rub against the cross over brake line. But it’ll go under the tube fine and with proper use of zip ties the odds of it getting hit is slim. The cable and 4 pin electrical connector will live in the hole. A 3/16” metal plate with 4 5/16” button heads will go on when I’m not towing it.
Thanks for advice etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77BAE82F-7CC0-4727-8B43-585AF9086C33_1568501745874.jpg (77.5 KB, 1 views)

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know it’d be a simpler job if I pulled the bumper. I may still do that. At least now with the hole I can get at the bolts holding the winch! Before you had to lift the heavy bumper and winch to get it off.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page