Full coverage under-armor recommendations for 2004 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Owners Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Full coverage under-armor recommendations for 2004 TJ Rubicon

I need to be Moab ready...

I have a JKS 1 inch BL, 1.25 inch MML, Barricade rocker guards, 2.5 inch OME suspension lift on 33X12.5 tires. I'm currently looking at the Rokmen Belly Pan and Engine/Tranny skid combo.

Questions:
  • What's the degree of difficulty for this installation?
  • Is this a near bolt-on kit?
  • About how long does the install take?
  • How much does it weigh?
  • Other under-armor recommendations?
  • Any tips?

Thanks

2004 Rubi TJ Low COG Recipe: 33x12.5 tires under flat fender flares, 1/1.25 inch motor/body lift, 2.5 inch OME suspension lift, all new JKS upper/lower control arms, more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
It's a really good skid kit and completely bolt-on. All of the parts fit perfectly and I highly recommend the Rokmen skid. Pretty sure they made YouTube install video which played a big role when I was skid shopping. I might have documented my install in the Tips/techniques board here on ROF, this would have been five or six (seven or eight?) years ago.

The full skid is maybe 100 pounds of steel - not really sure. I prefer steel over aluminum, much easier to slide over rocks and I like having that weight down low for improved center of gravity.

As I remember, install took maybe a day but I was working by myself and I don't move very fast. A transmission jack to lift the skid makes the install easier but you can make it work with a couple of floor jacks. There's nothing complicated about the install and the average DIYer will have no problem.
dweeber likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
You’ll have to shorten the muffler support by about 3/4” of an inch
You’ll need a minimum of 1/2” body lift. I’d also suggest upgrading your transfer case shifter to a cable style.
johncanfield likes this.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:57 AM

Garage
You may also have to change your drive shaft if haven’t already as the belly up is like adding 2 more inches of lift.
The engine skid is a simple bolt on, a stubby 9/16” combo wrench sure comes in handy.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Thanks John.

I have the stock drive shaft and the Rokmen site says a driveline lift above 4 inches should include a new CV Drive Shaft as 5 inches is a gray area. A poster on another forum says the Rokmen raises the transfer case 2.25 inches thus making my driveline lift 4.75 inches. Is that true? Do I have to get a new CV Drive Shaft? Is it an absolute requirement or "just" a recommendation?

Thanks again.

2004 Rubi TJ Low COG Recipe: 33x12.5 tires under flat fender flares, 1/1.25 inch motor/body lift, 2.5 inch OME suspension lift, all new JKS upper/lower control arms, more...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
TJ or LJ
FLLJ likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
It is a 2004 TJ Rubicon

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

I am putting the under cover fab armor under the LJ.

I have a TT from an out of business company under the TJ, it has a crossmember with a bolt on plate. I like it a bit more than just the plate that acts as both. But since they went out of business, feels like its not that big of a deal to most people. It has been convenient over the years. Simple design, not sure why no one else copied it. I was going to build one myself, but gave in and just purchased one for the LJ, as stated above.

Overall most seem to do about the same job and require the same pinion angle adjustments.

Buy what you like, IMHO.
johncanfield likes this.

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeber View Post
Thanks John.

I have the stock drive shaft and the Rokmen site says a driveline lift above 4 inches should include a new CV Drive Shaft as 5 inches is a gray area. A poster on another forum says the Rokmen raises the transfer case 2.25 inches thus making my driveline lift 4.75 inches. Is that true? Do I have to get a new CV Drive Shaft? Is it an absolute requirement or "just" a recommendation?

Thanks again.
The Rockmen skid plates are basically a 'tummy tuck' and you really should run a double cardian driveshaft and with adjustable lower control arms on the rear axle so you can rotate the axle enough for a 0 degree pinion angle. If you had an LJ, you could probably sneak by with the stock DS.

By the way - a tummy tuck as far as I'm concerned is essential of you are going to play on/in the rocks. It's the most significant bang for the buck upgrade you can do to improve the off-road capability of your TJ.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Going All-In with the Tummy Tuck

Thanks All for the great advice!! I'm using your advice and going all in with the tummy tuck, drive shaft, exhaust lift, etc.

This Rubi has been a Father and Son project from the beginning. We did the motor, body and suspension lift a couple of years ago and now it's time to finish the project. (As if it will ever be finished, but you know.)

This has been my daily driver for 6 years. It drives incredibly well after the suspension upgrade, straight and true. I routinely drive it 80 MPH on the interstate, no problem. And I love the increased ambient background noise with the new suspension and tires.

We have a mountain cabin at 8500 feet. Even though it's a challenging offroad trip to get up there, it's not a threat to the drive train and the Rubi handles it quite well. (ATV-ers are very surprised to see us up there.) But there's another place we go that is a threat, hence the second phase to the project. My Son lives out of state so I'm in project planning mode for when he comes, and thanks to all your help we'll be ready.
johncanfield likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in