Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Gas tank splash out

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  bugdewde 
#1 ·
After getting my hand soaked and/or having attendants get annoyed with splash back during refill I decided to fix the problem.

Camera is on the fritz so just Google Jeep rollover valve for detailed instructions and pictures. That's what I did.

First I dropped the tank and used the plastic decoupled to pull the fuel and evaporation lines off the fittings. Warning, be very careful pulling the feed line off the pump. Break that nipple and it's a new pump!

Once the tank is out simply take the fuel pump out of the tank, reach inside to the filler neck and twist the valve assembly off the neck. Inside that assembly is a spike like device with a seal on one end. That spike rises to block the neck when filling the tank and it gets full or in the event of a roll over plugs the neck.

The spike has 3 ribbed areas on it that swell from exposure to the ethanol. Mine was stick badly both in the full down and full up positions. Ran a bit of course sand paper over the ribs until it moved freely. Reassemble in reverse order.

Total cost= $0.0. Total time 2 hours. But that was using my lift and tranny jack.
Good luck.:wink2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Good tip... thanks.

A long, long time ago it was identified by a lot of folks on here the '03/'04 models inherently splashed out when filling, not sure about the '05/'06. There are old threads about using a different model vehicles fill tube, I can't remember which one specifically, that fits and solves the problem.

#8 ·
Me too

Reactions: johncanfield
#6 ·
Part number for the GM tube is 15131046. (it will only fix the splash back, not the slow fill) I got mine from Rock Auto and like Sierrabob, it's sitting on a shelf, waiting for the Jeep owner to get off his lazy butt, drop the tank and fix the issue the right way. Mines a slow fill, did have the splash back at one time. Same real fix for both issues, like Stinger (and many others), drop the tank, remove and sand down the stopper, put it back together.
Easier on a lift,,,, laying on your back, well that's why it's not done on my heap. :)

#7 ·
My '06 LJR has the slow fill problem. I have to insert the fill nozzle, if it is in the "pointing down" position I then rotate it counterclockwise 90 degrees and start the fill process on the slowest notch that the filler hose lever engages. Sometimes even this is too fast and I have to manually hold the lever in the just barely open position. Living in California makes it worse since our nozzles are more complex than most normal states. I need to do this fix, but temps are already approaching 100+ degrees. Oh well, maybe in the fall!

#9 ·
05-08 have the back splas issue the worst. There was a recall for the JKs with the issue, but not the TJ/LJs Both my 06s have the problem. My 04 is good. I just learned to listen, the filling sound changes a bit before the splash, when I am getting close I go to manual fill and release the pump just before it splashes.

#10 · (Edited)
Here's a post discussing the problem and fixes. There's also video, link to another forum fix and part numbers.
Filling the fuel tank https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108585

As mentioned by Mr Blaine in the wrangler forum thread, the GM filler hose "fix" is only a band aid that masks the real problem. The real problem is the roll over check valve plunger. The video will explain it as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.