Snorkel for Rubi - Rubicon Owners Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Snorkel for Rubi

I have a 2005 Rubi unlimited. I would like to put a Snorkel on it for water crossings.

Besides the snorkel what else should I be concerned with?

Anyone here done a conversion? If so please advise of your retro process or if there is a thread about this somewhere on here please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Garage
Are you in water deep enough to need it? Just curious. The ones I have seen involved taking a hole saw to the passenger side of the front fender, which never thrilled me much. But you would also want to ensure that your front and rear differential vent hoses are connected and in good working order. Same goes for the transmission vent.
sam952 and johncanfield like this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
But you would also want to ensure that your front and rear differential vent hoses are connected and in good working order. Same goes for the transmission vent.
This is essential and often overlooked. Depending on your specific vehicle you may also need to extend the vent lines higher in the tub.
sam952 likes this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtotem View Post
This is essential and often overlooked. Depending on your specific vehicle you may also need to extend the vent lines higher in the tub.

Bill, this is sound advice for anyone who off-roads their vehicle. It is easy to extend all the vent lines higher at a minimum.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Are you in water deep enough to need it? Just curious. The ones I have seen involved taking a hole saw to the passenger side of the front fender, which never thrilled me much. But you would also want to ensure that your front and rear differential vent hoses are connected and in good working order. Same goes for the transmission vent.
Thanks,, BTW, great Avatar.
SweetPee likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:

I have to cross a creek and couple of canals while traversing my hunting lease here in Florida. Sometimes we have large rainfall and the creek and canal crossings become really deep. The duration of vehicle submersion is of short duration, but , necessary to get across.
I have already extended the length of all vent lines.
SweetPee likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Like Sam says, off-roading here in Florida at times is a cross between motoring and boating
SweetPee, Mouse, sam952 and 1 others like this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
You are good for water up to about the bottom of the headlights, personally I wouldn't want to turn my Rubi into a submarine. The deeper the water the more pressure it will exert on the axle seals (and other stuff) and you could get water in your diff fluid.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Rubi Wheeler

X2....plus best reason it just looks dumb having a snorkel.
johncanfield likes this.

2011 JKU custom XD60/PR80 5.3LC9 6L80e Trail Grappler 40" Atlas 3.8. Custom RK Pro Aluminum long arms frt with Triangulated rear uppers and lower trailing arms C/O's and Bypass all 4 corners. TK 1 Racing/Currie rear swaybar, Poison Spyder everything except front Expedition One front bumper with Warn 9.5 CTIS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XHevq9UI94

To each his own. For some of you, to each her own, or your own, or whatever pronoun... I give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page