• 4 Post By PBR_Stitch
  • 2 Post By sierrabob
  • 4 Post By sourdough
  • 4 Post By mariodesmo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

JL frame welds failing

I just heard that some JL frame welds are failing and there is a Chrysler/Fiat recall in the works. I didn't see any report on ROF so some links.

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangl...a-i-1829551649

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2...e-weld-defect/
johncanfield likes this.

2005 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 AM

Garage
and yet another reason I am not warming up to the JL platform.... I do not think I have ever had an issue or been so hesitant to "like" a jeep model before, but for some reason this JL is already a black sheep in my mind. I guess it is all these rumors (true or not) about the funky stuff Fiat wants to do with jeep, like independent suspension. But hey.... diesel and a truck.... that is a win (well sort of).
mac, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Just like even Honda and Toyota, there are recalls. There is an open recall right now affect a limited number of JLs for weld issues. But if you read JLwrangler forum, you might think the sky is falling.

As you guys probably know, those bitching about something using much louder on the average forum than happy owners do. Couple that with lots of first time owners who have never driven a vehicle with a straight axle and you have the perfect storm for complaints.

My JL Sport is the best of the 12 that I've owned. It drives better, is quieter, has more power, and seems to be built better than any I've owned.

Is it perfect .....nope. When new it was really a handful to drive. I reset the tire pressure from 42 to 35 psi. Problem solved. Now it has a squeak in the armrest. Wonder if I can Lemon Law it for that? LOL!

They are not perfect, but if you're looking to buy, do not be afraid. Use the same process you would use for ANY new vehicle and enjoy the one you buy.
mac, DAA, johncanfield and 2 others like this.

Last edited by hutchman; 10-15-2018 at 11:14 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Hutchman you are right. Some of the problem is the demographic that buys Jeeps now.

Even a JL is a box with a straight axle. The top will leak and it will require more maintenance than the average vehicle. You cannot compare it to one of the current sport utility's or a Quad cab truck.
When you surf the forums you see angry people that have bought JL's to replace their Audi's. Most of them have made the wrong choice in a attempt to be cool.

1800 Wranglers recalled, estimated four percent will need repair, that's 720 vehicles that have faulty welds, in the trac bar support. I am a little biased but I think FCA lately has been pro active and recalling a lot more than other manufactures would.
SweetPee, DAA, Mouse and 3 others like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I didn't know the actual numbers, but knew it was a small number. I did read, that up to this point, only 120 had been repaired.

Don't get me wrong, that is still too many, but they seem to have responded.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM

I only know of one that has actually snapped off, and it happened off road with 37's, so a lot more stress. The number is minute compared to how many were built the first year. Still a problem, but it's being addressed fairly quickly by FCA. How many recalls did the JK's have for stuff. Lots...

Ron

Stirring the pot ever since... Now where's my bucket of gas...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Another link I found on another forum that gives more detail on which JL's are involved in the recall and how the fix will be done.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-jeep-...1829815170/amp
mac and johncanfield like this.

2005 Rubicon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:21 PM
Rubi Noobie

Anybody considering a new vehicle that see's the negative reports should stop and do their own research. The first week of my JLR's ownership I joined a small group of JL owners for a 3 day trip into the most remote sections of Death Valley. Entered D.V. with less than 500 miles, I'm back home with just over 1,000 and 200+ was in D.V.'s back county unpaved roads. All the JLR's were flawless the whole trip and a very pleasant experience. I will tell anyone on the fence, these new Jeeps are a beautiful thing. Get one!

'19 JLR , '13 Tiger RV/Ram3500 4x4 diesel, '13Toyota Highlander and a '15 VW Golf
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
Hopefully all those previous Audi, Beemer, Lexus, and Tesla owners will be so disgusted with their new JLR's that they'll be selling them cheap! I'm in, I'll take one in Mojito Green!

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page