97Heep's Take 2 "Rubi" Build - Page 8 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I see you ran into the 17/32" drill bit as well, I ordered my rockers and fenders from Metalcloack and found out I needed it when reading the instructions, had to order from Amazon as well. Being that is not a common size it would make sense to include it with the hardware kit, another $10 added to the price won't make any difference.
I was toying with the idea of clear coating my aluminum parts as well, and when doing some research I found mixed opinions, some say the clear coat will peel, others said the aluminum will become dull under the clear coat. In the end I decided is not worth the risk to experiment, so the rocker guards will be painted silver to match the Jeep and the sliders and fenders in black.
johncanfield likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
@MxRubicon that's good to know about leaving the aluminum raw and clear coating it. I left my front bumper raw and it had dulled but still looks good. It just doesn't clean off bug guts as easily. Since i already bought the paint I'll just go ahead and paint them. Hopefully the weather will be better once the paint arrives. The humidity is making painting a pill..

Yeah I skimmed over the instructions when I got them but never thought the bit would be something so specific. I think it's crazy all the hardware stores around me dont have drill bits larger than 1/2".
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Also, if you haven't marked the holes and you don't have them, I recommend you get a set of transfer punches. It takes the guesswork out of trying to find the center of the hole when marking the drill points for the rock guards and sliders. You can get a set at harbor freight for under $10 using one of their weekly 20% coupons.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders

post #74 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
Also, if you haven't marked the holes and you don't have them, I recommend you get a set of transfer punches. It takes the guesswork out of trying to find the center of the hole when marking the drill points for the rock guards and sliders. You can get a set at harbor freight for under $10 using one of their weekly 20% coupons.
That would have been good to know monday morning haha. Yeah I marked and predrilled all the holes already. Just waiting for my 17/32 drill bit to come in so finish drilling all the holes. I got one of the sliders painted and need to paint the other. Still need to sand down the driver s9de rocker guard. Then I'll paint those once the paint gets delivered. However if this humidity doesn't go down I won't be painting anything any time soon.

I saw your pictures in your JK build post. I have to saw the JK metalcloak rockers and sliders look way better than the TJ ones. We'll see how everthing lines up once everything is painted.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
I left my corner armor and fenders raw aluminum and they have discolored but my rig isn't built for looks - strictly trail performance. I did paint my Savvy bumpers with a rattle can and it's held up quite well. Good tip about the transfer punches Art - that's a tool I need to add to the shop.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #76 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
I left my corner armor and fenders raw aluminum and they have discolored but my rig isn't built for looks - strictly trail performance. I did paint my Savvy bumpers with a rattle can and it's held up quite well. Good tip about the transfer punches Art - that's a tool I need to add to the shop.
John i love the look of your jeep. The raw aluminum looks great with the blue body. I really like my savvy front bumper raw but it has dulled out which is fine with me. I still want to get a new rear bumper but finding one that is tow rated is the problem. I'd gain a lot of departure angle back if I could since I'd be able to remove my hitch.

The rocker guards will be painted silver to match the jeep and sliders a textured black. it looks good. I am about function but also like it to look nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160811_113036_1552482151379.jpg (206.1 KB, 9 views)
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Chris

post #77 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hey - that's me and the Mrs. when we ran Black Bear with you guys! That was a fun time.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #78 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Hey - that's me and the Mrs. when we ran Black Bear with you guys! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/driving.gif[/IMG]That was a fun time.
Yes sir! Was a great day. Ill be running Black Bear Pass again in early August when I am in Colorado for a MTB trip.

Update on Rock Sliders:
====================

I started painting them with the automotive rattle can paint I ordered from Automotivetouchup.com. I used white primer and applied 4 coats sanding with 600 grit sand paper between coats. There were a couple drip spots I had to sand out from the 1st coat which show in the base coat. It doesn't bother though because they'll be covered up by the rock slider. Between coats I allowed the primer to dry for 45min. After the last sanding I cleaned the surface and applied the 1st base coat, PSB Silver. I let that first base coat dry for 30min and then applied a 2nd base coat. The pictures are of the primer after the last coat was applied and after the 2nd base coat was applied.

I am quite happy for my first time doing true automotive painting and using rattle can paint. Tomorrow I'll finish up the passenger side spraying the clear coat. Once that's dry, 24hrs, I'll put it aside and start painting the other one. Looks like one more week before they are all painted up and installed on the jeep.

I did finish prepping the jeep by drilling all the holes and installing the nutserts. I test fitted the sliders to ensure all the holes still lined up. Some aren't 100% centered but they are so little off it shouldn't be an issue. Can't wait to get this all finished up. I think the rock sliders look good with the textured black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190318_175718_1552957173834.jpg (130.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_175723_1552957187599.jpg (98.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_194134_1552957204299.jpg (103.7 KB, 4 views)
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Chris

post #79 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
I hate working with those nutserts!

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #80 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Quote:
I hate working with those nutserts!
I bought an installation tool online that makes nutserts much easier to install. A couple of weeks ago I built a new transmission tunnel cover and transfer case shifter mount. I used nutserts for both so they would be easy to remove. They turned out great. I've had them in/out several times as I'm doing more interior work (remounting seats and building a center console).

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page