mrladewig's TJ - Rubicon Owners Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

mrladewig's TJ

For those who don't know me, I've been a member since early 2004. My Rubi has been all over Colorado and Utah.

I had been considering letting go of my 1-owner 2004 with 63,000 miles. I haven't been driving it much because I travel alot for my work and when I'm home, my wife and I are usually headed somewhere on the highways. And my 997 is a bit more fun as a daily driver when I am home. But I know couldn't replace it if I sold it. So I just ended up with some nice photos.

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4286-HDR.jpg

As for what was done to get it photo ready.

Washed the jeep with a foam cannon and 2 buckets. Scrubbed the soft top with a stiff brush.
Washed the engine bay with simple green, a couple detailing brushes.
Applied Adams VRT to the rubber and plastic bits.

Clay barred all painted panels.
Wet sanded out some willow pinstripes with some 2500 and 3000 grit.
Compounded all the body panels with Meguiars Ultimate on a Meguairs DA microfiber compound pad.
Polished all the body panels with Rupes quartz on a Meguiars DA microfiber polishing pad.
Polished the rear soft top window with Meguiars Plastix with a wool pad.
Applied a ceramic coating to all the paint. I did this to my basalt black 997 in July and have been really happy with how it has held up.
Then washed the hard top and reinstalled it for winter, which is quickly approaching.

Dino would have been proud.

This is what shares space in the garage. They're quite the odd couple.
IMG_3896-HDR-Edit.jpg

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 AM
Rubi Crawler

Nice looking TJ. I have to confess, I had no idea you could wash them. LOL
aeroshots and johncanfield like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 AM

My Jeep next Mel.... Looks good.

Ron

Stirring the pot ever since... Now where's my bucket of gas...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Garage
That was a pristine TJ! I'm sure the Porsche is a ton of fun, I miss my Corvette sometimes.
Mouse and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
That was a pristine TJ! I'm sure the Porsche is a ton of fun, I miss my Corvette sometimes.

It is a pristine(ish) jeep. It's got a few scrapes from trails like Blanca Peak and Holy Cross, but I've been able to keep it in a garage most of its life. But inside and out, its always been well cared for. I've got the Tuffy overhead console inside and the OR Fab swingout on the back which gives me the range to get really out there in places like the Maze District. For years the thing I've disliked about it is the lack of power. It just wheezes in the mountains. I'm looking at some forced induction options, which would make it much more enjoyable to drive. I've thought about it for years. It's taken me some amazing places though and although it isn't always in the picture, I do appreciate that about it.

The Porsche is like a scalpel on a mountain road. With AWD, electronically adjustable Bilsteins and 4 piston Brembos from the factory, the handling is fantastic. It has a valved exhaust, and sounds like a sports car should. With its winter tires, its very good on snow too. Great fun all around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4536-HDR.jpg (399.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4456-Edit.jpg (204.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2049.jpg (384.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2152-HDR.jpg (334.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3050.jpg (396.5 KB, 5 views)

Ham radio KB4UGK
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
.... For years the thing I've disliked about it is the lack of power. It just wheezes in the mountains. I'm looking at some forced induction options, which would make it much more enjoyable to drive. I've thought about it for years.....
Wheezing around the mountains was the catalyst for me to boost my I6 with a RIPP supercharger kit - makes a huge difference at 9,000 feet on the highway.
mac and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

If you thought it was bad at 9,000 you should have experienced 11,000+ ft! Eisenhower tunnel has always been a bit terrifying where you're way faster than the semis, but not able to stay at highway speed. 3rd gear revs out, but 4th isn't enough to hold 65mph up there.

My wife used to have a WRX and it was enlightening on the high passes even with the 4sp auto. At the time I had a 305hp N/A Acura RL and when you reach those highest passes the power of the WRX (235hp) was about the same as the RL, maybe even a little more. I not saying the RL struggled. It had plenty of power and was amazing on snow with the SH-AWD system and good tires. But forced induction just loses so much less power. And that's beside the advantage of higher torque in the mid RPMs. The WRX ran 14psi of boost and if you do the math (simplified approximation of power at elevation)

RL (9.39psi/14.7psi)*305hp = 194.9hp
WRX ((9.39+14)/(14.7+14))*235hp = 191.5hp
mac and johncanfield like this.

Ham radio KB4UGK
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
Off topic
When I was chatting with RIPP about a blower I told them my primary requirement was high altitude performance so they spec'd a smaller pulley, it runs a moderate ~8 pounds, maybe a bit more. More boost would stress the engine too much.

My buddy has a 700 hp Hellcat, he used my lift to do an oil change, new drive shaft, driveshaft hoop at the tranny end for 1/4 mile race requirements. I forgot exactly what his 1/4 mile times were, something in the 12 second range. Once you go below 12 seconds you need a cage and other stuff.
Off topic end
mac, Mouse, Desert Dog and 1 others like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 PM
mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
For those who don't know me, I've been a member since early 2004. My Rubi has been all over Colorado and Utah.

I had been considering letting go of my 1-owner 2004 with 63,000 miles. I haven't been driving it much because I travel alot for my work and when I'm home, my wife and I are usually headed somewhere on the highways. And my 997 is a bit more fun as a daily driver when I am home. But I know couldn't replace it if I sold it. So I just ended up with some nice photos.

Attachment 71604

Attachment 71600

Attachment 71602

As for what was done to get it photo ready.

Washed the jeep with a foam cannon and 2 buckets. Scrubbed the soft top with a stiff brush.
Washed the engine bay with simple green, a couple detailing brushes.
Applied Adams VRT to the rubber and plastic bits.

Clay barred all painted panels.
Wet sanded out some willow pinstripes with some 2500 and 3000 grit.
Compounded all the body panels with Meguiars Ultimate on a Meguairs DA microfiber compound pad.
Polished all the body panels with Rupes quartz on a Meguiars DA microfiber polishing pad.
Polished the rear soft top window with Meguiars Plastix with a wool pad.
Applied a ceramic coating to all the paint. I did this to my basalt black 997 in July and have been really happy with how it has held up.
Then washed the hard top and reinstalled it for winter, which is quickly approaching.

Dino would have been proud.

This is what shares space in the garage. They're quite the odd couple.
Attachment 71606
Wowzaaa Mel
good to see you in the group again.

yes...Dino would approve of the cleaning...dayummmm i miss that guy

i'm still around....not as much but check every few days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 AM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Off topic
When I was chatting with RIPP about a blower I told them my primary requirement was high altitude performance so they spec'd a smaller pulley, it runs a moderate ~8 pounds, maybe a bit more. More boost would stress the engine too much.

My buddy has a 700 hp Hellcat, he used my lift to do an oil change, new drive shaft, driveshaft hoop at the tranny end for 1/4 mile race requirements. I forgot exactly what his 1/4 mile times were, something in the 12 second range. Once you go below 12 seconds you need a cage and other stuff.
Off topic end
That's nothing, my TJ can run 6's in the quarter, the only problem is it's super expensive and time consuming arranging a C-130 to get it up to drop altitude :-p
12 seconds is a decent time and nothing to scoff at for a daily driver on pump gas!
I remember having a driveshaft attempt to come up through the backseat of the Camaro once. I have loops now.
johncanfield likes this.

Last edited by WayWestJeep; 10-20-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page