mrladewig's TJ - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Wheezing around the mountains was the catalyst for me to boost my I6 with a RIPP supercharger kit - makes a huge difference at 9,000 feet on the highway.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc...jeep-4-0l.html
johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Garage
Haven't heard about that supercharger brand, looks like a deal.
Mouse and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWestJeep View Post
That's nothing, my TJ can run 6's in the quarter, the only problem is it's super expensive and time consuming arranging a C-130 to get it up to drop altitude :-p
12 seconds is a decent time and nothing to scoff at for a daily driver on pump gas!
I remember having a driveshaft attempt to come up through the backseat of the Camaro once. I have loops now.

You must have seen the old BBS Top Gear where they did a 1 mile drag race with a 911 Turbo vs a Beetle.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Looks like it needs injectors, but otherwise pretty complete and would be a great deal at that price vs what they cost new.

I knew Avenger. They were based in Colorado Springs when I lived there. In fact that was the one that opened my eyes to how the supercharger could improve the TJ. There was a couple at the first or second ROF Moab meet up with one and they mentioned how it improved their highway fuel economy while adding ~100 HP and just making the auto much better to drive. The NV3550 has always been a pain on the highway because 5th is a bit too tall and 4th is too low and has a harmonic resonance at highway speed. Yeah, I'd be down with that I thought at the time. But then I thought, I don't really want to spend $5,000 on it.

Unfortunately, they're out of business, I have a '04 and it would require a reflash of the PCM and they're not around to flash it. Of course I could get a tuner to do it, or buy a tune for a similar SC, but I'm not convinced the bought tune option wouldn't be a basket case and getting a custom tune would probably eat up any savings. I'm just not sure about sinking money into a SC with no vendor to support it.

It seems like the RIPP and Magnum Powers layout have some advantages in terms of space for the intercooler and retaining easier access to the engine vs those like Sprintex and Boosted Tech which are stacked right on top of the intake (especially without an intercooler).
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page