Moab!!! May 2010. - Rubicon Owners Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Moab!!! May 2010.

I finally got a chance to test out my new truck camper and Duramax tow rig...... WOOHOO!! they both performed well.... oh, the Jeep did well too.

I also took my DRZ400 dual sport bike, but ended up not riding it. The plan was to probably ride it on days the group did the hard trails, and I'd ride wherever, but instead, I decided to ride passenger on the hard trails and do a bunch of photos and videos. Might take a while to get the videos online, but I captured some scary moments for sure.

During the time we were there, the wind was almost non stop, with two days being worse than the rest, and only one day being a "no wind" day.

There were roughly 30 people total in the group spread out amongst 10 Jeeps and 1 Toyota. It was a great trip with a diverse group of people. There were 5 Jeeps from WA, 3 from NM, 1 from NV, 1 from TX, the Toyota was from ID, and the others were from AZ (I think).

My trip started with a snowy drive over White Pass on the 20th

At the summit of White Pass: (stopped here to mess with the trailer brakes, which are plaguing me with problems again. :deadhorse: )

I had planned on doing ROF Moab last year, which is partly why I bought the Jeep trailer last year, but I pulled the plug on the trip when it looked like I may end up jobless.

When I got invited to this Moab trip, I decided I wasn't going to miss the chance to get out and enjoy some nice weather and a chance to do some Jeeping. Sprin weather in Washington has been horrible (too much rain). I haven't been Wheelin' since last October, so it felt good to get out in my Jeep again. When I got home, I could tell it rained a LOT while I was gone.

I had a blast. It was fun to wheel my Heep where it had a chance to live up to the way it has been built.

I swapped over to my softop, and at the last minute decided to leave my full hard doors at home and run the lower steel tube doors with steel skins on them and upper soft half doors.

Here's what I remember about the way rigs on this trip were equipped:
Two LJ on 37s (I think.)
A YJ and a bunch of TJs and another LJ on 35s
Me and another TJ on 33s
Toyota running huge tires - not sure of the size
I think everyone was running lockers (some ARB, a bunch of Rubis with factory lockers)

The trip down went well.... here's a tail wind along I-84 in Eastern Oregon.

I camped out the first night behind a motel in Mtn Home, Idaho, and plugged the rig in to power.

Tooks some photos of the new rig in the same locations that I took photos last year:

South of Wellington, UT, I was dealing with a nasty headwind or cross wind.

This is at the air down spot for Moab Rim trail, which we ran on Day 1.

The trail climbs and follows a narrow path above the river and the road.

Not far in to the trail, there's a small crack situated where a climb and right turn is required.

Shortly after this was another incline and a series of turns, called the "Z Turn" obstacle.

It was fun to watch the Toyota climb the obstacles that sometimes we could not do, or we had to take a much different line in order to accomplish them. The Toyota would crawl up just about anything (long wheebase had many advantages)

My Heep:

Up on top of the rim, we stopped for a break:

Cacti bloom some really neat looking flowers.

We motored down the trail....

..Then stopped at an overlook and had lunch.

...then we hiked out to look at the petroglyphs on the rocks...

Coming back we stopped to play on a sand hill...

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Re: Moab!!! May 2010.

Day 2 - Sunday May 23rd, my pics of Hell's Revenge. The major obstacles are optional on it.

The infamous "Hell's Gate" obstacle. To get to it, you detour off the main route, go down to the bottom via a side trail, then come back up it. It was interesting to see all these nasty spots in person that I've seen hundreds of photos and videos of.

This is the only pic I have. After this I switched over to video.

Another option was "Escalator"

Hey, there's a round silver thing in the puddle here:

Tipover Challenge. I went around.

It was another great day on the trail. When we got back to camp we had a feast for dinner then enjoyed a "wash tub" campfire.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via MSN to Catalog

I recognize a few of those rigs!

Wish I could have gone with you all

"Rubicon... man that is like Wheeling for Dummies"

^^ or in my case Posers!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

The red TJ didn't make it up escalator, he spit out rear pasenger spring in the puddle.

LJ made it up fine, and put on quite a show doing it.... skill and grace it was! Not a scratch on the jeep or armor. I may have that on video.

Doug
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Outstanding photos. You did a great job capturing the trip. Thank you for sharing.

I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting.
Outboard rear Bilstein remote reservoir shocks, , 4:88 gears, ,PS rear tubes,T&T front tubes, 35" KM2's, Warn 9000i w/MP Superline, Custom 250 dom steering, Chromolly axle shafts, RH cage, ORO dual rate SB disconnect, Beadlocks, vented hood, Griffin radiator.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Official WebWheeler

Great pictures....

J. Branson

"Crab fishing in Alaska"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Looks like fun

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Amazing pics man! I really need to make it out there one day. Thanks for sharing. Try and post up the vids you took on escalader. They are always fun to watch

06 SWB 6sp - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Jetta TDI - DD
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

More photos:

Day three we hit a trio of trails: Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim.

Me coming out of an obstacle called "The Wedgie"

Front driver wheel in the air:

Lunch stop:

"Golden Crack":

Some of the group played around on this just past the Golden Crack:

Goonie Bird Rock in the distance:

Doug
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Looks as though I forgot to finish this trip report, so here's some more pics:

Day 4: Behind the Rocks.

Near the end of the trail is an ugly obstacle, LWB rigs rule here. The LJs in our group were the only rigs to do this obstacle.

We turned around at the obstacle and went back out the way we came in.

Random pic on the way out.

Here's another extremely challenging obstacle that is optional.

Another random pic on the way out:

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page