Roof Rack and tent. - Page 3 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
How much do the tents run weight-wise? I had a rack on my LJ when I bought it and found quite a nice difference when I pulled it off.

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Nobody said that these would not work. However there is probably not another mod that would make a Jeep more likely to roll over than adding a couple of hundred pounds of weight (rack plus tent) above the roof.

Some people are more tolerant of risk than others. I would NEVER make this modification to one of my vehicles, it increases the rollover tendancy beyond the limits I am comfortable with, just for my own ass. I would definately not use such a mod in a vehicle transporting family members. There are better choices like trailers, admittedly that cost more.

It's up to you as to how much risk you are comfortable with when it comes to your family.
johncanfield likes this.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:59 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

The tent itself weighs about 120lbs give or take. We're taking it on it's first run this weekend. I was buzzing around town with it, just local stuff and didn't notice anything different. The highway might be a different story. If I survive the weekend with it I'll post up how the jeep handled.
johncanfield likes this.

04 rubicon screaming solar yellow
63 vw sunroof bug with the necksnapping 40 horser
70 vw westy, even slower
08 Ranger 4x4 5spd
66 F250 4x4 390 4spd
08 civic
Chris

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:31 PM

Well, we through caution to the wind and set out friday afternoon. We actually survived!! Jeep handled great but you do feel the tent. It wasn't anything crazy but you knew it was there. Love the tent, love being off the ground but it does have one drawback. My wife wanted to go for a hike and we had to drive to the trail. I had to pack up the tent to go hiking and then set back up when we got back. Not a huge deal but we're looking in to a small trailer to mount the tent on. I came across these guys.. http://www.tentrax.com/ Anyone hear of them, own one?
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.

70 vw westy, even slower
08 Ranger 4x4 5spd
66 F250 4x4 390 4spd
08 civic
Chris
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've personally only seen one Jeep on a trail towing a trailer but he seemed to be doing okay; I think we have a few threads here about trailers. As far as that particular trailer you referenced, I don't have a clue about it. If you want to Jeep and camp, I think a trailer is the way to go.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Rubi Noobie

Sounds like a fun camping trip
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 PM

Trailer is way better just for being able to drive around and not have to break camp each time. I emailed those guys but haven't heard back. I like it because it's small and light. It only weighs around 500lbs empty. I'll post up any info I get on it.
johncanfield likes this.

70 vw westy, even slower
08 Ranger 4x4 5spd
66 F250 4x4 390 4spd
08 civic
Chris
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM
DAA

I've seen a lot of this stuff in use. RTT's more than anything, but quite a few offroad trailers with RTT's on them too. Everything from home fabricated versions to the Tentrax to the ones costing $25K+.

I have never understood the appeal of a roof top tent. I mean, I thought they looked pretty cool until the first time I actually saw one in use on an offroad trip. Compared to a good ground tent, RTT's take longer to setup and take down, weigh a heckuva lot more, costs a heckuva lot more, don't offer as much room or comfort aren't as weatherproof, most of them make a ton of noise inside when it's windy, you can't go anywhere with them deployed, they are a nightmare in thick trees, do make the rig noticeably more tippy and they are just generally an expensive PITA from all I've ever seen. The only advantages I have ever seen to them are that you can camp literally anywhere - but, in all my extensive wanderings I have never had much trouble finding a spot for a ground tent, so this isn't really a big deal to me. And, they do free up cargo and/or passenger space, which, for some people and some rigs, makes them worth all the hassle and expense and I do get that. I kind of pity them for having to go that route, but it makes sense at least.

But I have seen a lot of people get all excited about a RTT, use it for one year (or less) and then want to get rid of it. Have had several RTT owners after a few days travel offroad start picking my brain about my ground tent and talking about how the RTT sure sounded sexy but after a bit of real use the shine was gone and they want to get something easier to deploy like a good ground tent. But not everyone, I know people that do genuinely like their RTT's and wouldn't have it any other way. To each his own for sure. And I've never met a kid that didn't love the treehouse aspect of them. I know a guy that has kept his purely to make his kids happy. I think that's pretty cool.

Offroad trailers, different beast. Most everyone I know who has one, really needs the cargo room to be able to take families out in Wranglers or Cruisers. Or, has a spouse that wouldn't go on these trips without that little bit of extra luxury the trailer allows. They aren't for me, but, they do make a lot more sense to me than RTT's do, for the majority of people I see using them. They are obviously even way more expensive and even way more of a PITA than a RTT, but, they offer way more potential advantage too.

The best ones I've seen are home fabricated and using trailing arm suspensions. Can't remember what the Tentrax uses, but I'd stay away from basic leaf spring setups. They end up on their sides a lot more often that the ones with good articulation. They all end up on their sides once in awhile in real offroad use though. Hitch seems to be an important ingredient to happy offroad trailering too. Again, have seen mostly a lot of home brew hitches of various designs and expense in construction but the best ones all allow full rotation.

Have seen some of these trailers be taken pretty much anywhere I'd ever be willing to try and take my LJ. They can follow your Jeep wherever you want them to I think. I haven't been with them but have two friends that have taken their home fab trailers over the Rubicon without any problems. Just have to get out and tip them back over once in awhile.

- DAA
Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Rubi Noobie

I have a Ruger trailer and RTT I pull behind my LJ. This is our 4th season and if camping is your thing it's the best way to go. You can easily do week long trips and all your gear is stored and ready to go. As far as wheeling it and highway cruising it takes getting used to. I usually go only places I know well and are not to difficult. After set up we can unhook and wheel the tougher trails. The RTT holds up to any weather but is truly only good for sleeping not hanging out. The optional awning helps but it would better to have a rain fly for longer storms. All our trips are in Colorado trails so storms are the norm. Highly recommended the trailer and Tepui tent.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 PM

I definitely understand the cons to a rtt but it doesn't sway me from using it. The biggest con I see is that its mounted to the jeep and if I want to go anywhere I have to pack it back up. The tent being up over head isn't a deal breaker. If I was that concerned about my family's safety I wouldn't put them in a vehicle that's prone to rolling over in the first place. As far as a regular ground tent being easier to set up, I don't know about that. What's easier than just unfolding and putting in 8 rods to hold up the windows? All the bedding is already inside minus the pillows, but that's it. You don't even have to put up all 8 rods if you don't want to. I'm definitely looking for a trailer but being on the wrong coast I'm limited. The guy at tentrax was absolutely no help. I don't think he's heard of customer service. I found another on ebay but they won't ship. I'll keep looking, it's not life threatening.

70 vw westy, even slower
08 Ranger 4x4 5spd
66 F250 4x4 390 4spd
08 civic
Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page