• 1 Post By evandertime
  • 2 Post By DK2014JK
  • 2 Post By mrladewig
  • 2 Post By WayWestJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

2H vs 4H

Hi first time Rubicon owner here. I just bought a new 2020 Unlimited. Curious when is the best time to use 4H vs 2H? It was raining on my drive in to work today and I switched to 4H. Tires seemed to lock up when I slowed down and tried to make a turn. Is this normal? Should I avoid using 4H in rainy conditions?
johncanfield likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Rubi Crawler

I only use 4hi if there are a few inches of snow or off-road. If you feel comfortable driving over 30 mph you really don't need 4hi.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Dan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thanks Dan. I almost lost my mind when the wheels locked up as thought something was severely wrong. Seems like a rookie mistake as the more I read the more it sounds like you are absolutely correct. Is it best to avoid sharp turns when you are in 4H and in snow or mud?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:44 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

4WD is not like AWD. There is no slip in the transfer case like there is in a vehicle with a center differential. You only want to be in 4WD when the wheels can slip on the surface. Its OK on dirt roads at higher speed and fine on snow and ice. But rain on asphalt will not provide enough slip and you'll get some hopping.
johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 AM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
4WD is not like AWD. There is no slip in the transfer case like there is in a vehicle with a center differential. You only want to be in 4WD when the wheels can slip on the surface. Its OK on dirt roads at higher speed and fine on snow and ice. But rain on asphalt will not provide enough slip and you'll get some hopping.
^^^This^^^ It's also worth noting that it's not the end of the world if you do it. I have hopped on the pavement completely exhausted after a long day of hiking and got most of the way home before I noticed I was still in 4 hi. Cant tell you how many times I have done this now. I wouldn't advise it for regular use, but it's not likely to break anything with an occasional use/accidental use. Maybe stretch the chain a bit or possibly some premature u-joint wear.
mrladewig and Desert Dog like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to ROF!

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page