Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Snorkel for Rubi

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sam952 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Rubi unlimited. I would like to put a Snorkel on it for water crossings.

Besides the snorkel what else should I be concerned with?

Anyone here done a conversion? If so please advise of your retro process or if there is a thread about this somewhere on here please let me know.:smile2:

#2 ·
Are you in water deep enough to need it? Just curious. The ones I have seen involved taking a hole saw to the passenger side of the front fender, which never thrilled me much. But you would also want to ensure that your front and rear differential vent hoses are connected and in good working order. Same goes for the transmission vent.

#3 ·
But you would also want to ensure that your front and rear differential vent hoses are connected and in good working order. Same goes for the transmission vent.
This is essential and often overlooked. Depending on your specific vehicle you may also need to extend the vent lines higher in the tub.

Reactions: sam952
#8 ·
You are good for water up to about the bottom of the headlights, personally I wouldn't want to turn my Rubi into a submarine. The deeper the water the more pressure it will exert on the axle seals (and other stuff) and you could get water in your diff fluid.

#9 ·
X2....plus best reason it just looks dumb having a snorkel.

Reactions: johncanfield
#13 ·
I am not crossing a river that is 1/2 mile wide, I am crossing a creek or canal with a duration of 5 to 15 seconds tops moving constantly.

I have done water crossings in other vehicles and if you have also, then you know with constant steady forward motion in a crossing the vehicle forms a trough under the vehicle as the front of the vehicle pushes the water forward and around the vehicle and comes back behind the vehicle.
If the vehicle is submerged above the hood and front grill of the vehicle, well then, all the dynamics change, water is everywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.