web based jeep parts businesses - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

web based jeep parts businesses

Ok so I see all these guys selling Jeep parts like DPG, DC4WD, Northridge, Mesa, Follow my Rutz, blah, blah, blah... and a score of other unknown companies who I call and get a cellular phone voicemail for.

All of them have the coolest jeeps around . So whats the deal do they get to "test" products on their jeeps or what. Are the mark ups so much that dealers can afford to actually buy tons of this cool stuff.

Do I need to play the lottery more?

Now I don't want to cut open the belly of retail sales and expose some top secret insider trading ok....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Rubicus Maximus

It's their business therefore they can deduct it as an expense. I'm in IT and used to deduct all my technology toys...same thing applies. Free? No...but cheaper.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

if the opportunity is there for the huge numbers of web dealers, than more power to them. I feel it's all about finding one place you can put your faith in and deal with them. we all want the best price out there ... but I want the best customer service out there. I feel if I can pick up the phone (usually never get a voice mail but the man himself) and have an enjoyable discussion and be assured that if he says he can get me that at the best price than there's no reason for me to shop around.

I'm sure there are some great perks for the dealers, but they seem to work their little butts off, to get some of those great deals.

guess you could consider it "pain and suffering" compensation ... and since you happened to mention my buddy in your list ... just want to say how happy I am with david at northridge.

TJ

... Project RUBI ... gone but not forgotten
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 PM

I know a little inside of this stuff, not much, but take a small bussiness class, or lecture and they hit on a bunch of this. Bussiness owners typically pay a buy in fee to the company they want to sell the parts, now this can be cash, purchase of materials for sale, or purchase of parts to go on their vehicle. Now since this is inventory they mark it up and resell it. The original manufacturer will typically post a higher sale price than his distributor for the simple reason. Sell 1 product at $300, or sell 100 products to a vendor at $200. Law of volumn there. Probably only cost $180 to make, but he made 2000 selling it to the distributor and only 120 selling it to a buyer. Now if the distributor puts it on his vehicle (at cost) he can claim it as advertising or a few other things so later gets to claim it off of his bussiness profits. Lots to running a bussiness, starting it is very expensive, surviving the first couple years is hard, then thriving comes much later.

Ron
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 09:24 AM

I emailed a few places asking about this exact question. Most places have a pretty hefty buy in in the range of 5k or so that's before they will even consider drop-shipping for you or something like that. You'll also need a EIN number and actually be a 'business' and not just some dude sitting at home on his computer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 AM

I have dealt with Jeepers & Creepers, DC, and GoFer It on several occasions - they're not just sitting and waiting for orders to pour in.

They provide great customer service, and sometimes get burned by shady buyers, too. It's not risk-free. Regardless of if you commute to a steel-and-mirror office tower in corporate america, a manufacturing plant, or work out of your home... you need to protect your assets and provide outrageous customer service to be successful.

Running your own business is not easy or for the faint-of-heart. It takes a lot of commitment, hard work, sacrifice, and often - uncertainty.

Let them have their goodies and add-ons... good for them!

Lots of companies will give/sell (for pennies-on-the-dollar) prototypes/first runs if you lend them your vehicle for a period of time (if they need it)... just have to be inthe right place at the right time. In this case, it certainly helps to know people .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page