• 2 Post By geroux
  • 2 Post By Wildrat
  • 2 Post By WayWestJeep
  • 1 Post By Wildrat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Urges

Coming to the forum keeps making me get urges to do something to my Jeep. I think about a lift, new wheels, and various other things then I say to myself what's the point. The Jeep only gets maybe 800 miles a year, the only off-roading it does is going in the backyard, so I can winch something.

So I decide why spend money on a driveway queen. LOL
I think money would be better spent building a shelter for it of some sort.
mac, hutchman, Mouse and 2 others like this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
Coming to the forum keeps making me get urges to do something to my Jeep. I think about a lift, new wheels, and various other things then I say to myself what's the point. The Jeep only gets maybe 800 miles a year, the only off-roading it does is going in the backyard, so I can winch something.

So I decide why spend money on a driveway queen. LOL
I think money would be better spent building a shelter for it of some sort.
Sounds like you need to get behind the wheel and go have some fun!! There must be some good wheeling somewhere near you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWestJeep View Post
Sounds like you need to get behind the wheel and go have some fun!! There must be some good wheeling somewhere near you.

Oh, I have fun but it's on my bike. Bike 5k so far this year, Jeep, maybe 400-500 miles. Last year bike was 10,700 and Jeep 800. LOL The Jeep did go over 25k, it took 19 years but it did it, LOL
mac, johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

MARK

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Oh, I have fun but it's on my bike. Bike 5k so far this year, Jeep, maybe 400-500 miles. Last year bike was 10,700 and Jeep 800. LOL The Jeep did go over 25k, it took 19 years but it did it, LOL
LOL that is too cool. I used to ride a mountain bike, however I never clocked anywhere near that kind of mileage. I can however run/jog/climb with a rifle+sidearm and full pack for hours on end in hellish heat and painful cold without issue. I do greatly prefer the heat though.
Mouse, johncanfield and Wildrat like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
LOL that is too cool. I used to ride a mountain bike, however I never clocked anywhere near that kind of mileage. I can however run/jog/climb with a rifle+sidearm and full pack for hours on end in hellish heat and painful cold without issue. I do greatly prefer the heat though.
I can't walk far, run and jog are not even in the equation. Yes, I don't mind heat, and I'm good in cycling clothes down to around 46F before I need to start layering.
mac and johncanfield like this.

MARK

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Rubi Crawler

With that kinda mileage I suspect you have one of those super nice carbon fiber jobs. I think my bike was a...cannondale. I think. Whatever it was, it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars LOL.
I was in a bike shop and saw a carbon fiber bike once, if I remember correctly I or maybe the sales person picked it up with a single finger. I remember it was a very impressive machine. I also remember it was about 8 grand. Hopefully they have come down in price.
johncanfield likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
..The Jeep did go over 25k, it took 19 years but it did it, LOL
You must have the oldest Rubicon on the planet!

My dogs name is Rubi
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
With that kinda mileage I suspect you have one of those super nice carbon fiber jobs. I think my bike was a...cannondale. I think. Whatever it was, it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars LOL.
I was in a bike shop and saw a carbon fiber bike once, if I remember correctly I or maybe the sales person picked it up with a single finger. I remember it was a very impressive machine. I also remember it was about 8 grand. Hopefully they have come down in price.

Yes, everything on the bike is carbon except the crank, derailleurs, cables, and seat rails.
I built the bike. It cost about 1800 to build. I frame, wheels, all came from China, but most of the frames for the name brand bikes come from China from the same factories. Mine just doesn't have a name.
It cracks me up, people comment on the bike, then ask what kind it is, then I tell them I built it.
Most all seem amazed when I tell them I built it. People have lost the simplest of mechanical skills, common sense, and the will to even try.
Yes, I have been riding and working on bikes since I was six (56 years) but it isn't rocket science! I couple screwdrivers, a couple wrenches, and a couple special tools, and the aforementioned skills and a six-year old could build a bike.

The bike is extremely light, till I add my bike bag (tubes, tools, emergency food, CO2/pump). I am also carrying a bag on the top tube in preparation for my big ride November 9th, it has a 20.1KmAh battery bank, DIY powder electrolyte mixes, my drugs, and ID's., then my 1 quart water bottle, and my JBL BT speaker, then my big fat butt, so all in all I add (not counting myself) approx. 15 pounds to a 15-16 pound bike. LOL
Oh, the wheels are also carbon, until you get used to them it like using a graphite fishing rod, very sensitive to the road, you feel everything.
My front wheel is 60 mm, and the rear is 88 mm, this is the depth of the rim.

I run very cheap Continental tires at 8 -12 dollars each, and cheap $2.50 cent tubes. LOL
Most people I know are running $70 tires and high dollar tubes. They are the GQ people. I checked specs on the high dollar Conti's (I used to run them) and besides price my cheap Conti's are as good if not better. The rolling resistance of the cheap Conti is between the two high dollar Conti's, mine do not have a puncture resistant layer. I had more flats with the higher priced tires. I got around the layer by adding my own layer inside the tire. I rarely get flats, one this year and it was catastrophic. Blew a hole in the side of the tire the size of a pencil. I walked home that day. I took the blown tire and cut some boots to add to my bike bag. The tire that blew (rear) had around 7K miles on it. It still had rubber on it, I guess the side walls got weak. Most people want to change their tires much sooner (around 2K-4K miles). I wanted to see how long I could use the tire.

I guess you found out more than needed. LOL Time to go ride (0430, should have been out a half hour ago). LOL

MARK

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:37 AM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Yes, everything on the bike is carbon except the crank, derailleurs, cables, and seat rails.
I built the bike. It cost about 1800 to build. I frame, wheels, all came from China, but most of the frames for the name brand bikes come from China from the same factories. Mine just doesn't have a name.
It cracks me up, people comment on the bike, then ask what kind it is, then I tell them I built it.
Most all seem amazed when I tell them I built it. People have lost the simplest of mechanical skills, common sense, and the will to even try.
Yes, I have been riding and working on bikes since I was six (56 years) but it isn't rocket science! I couple screwdrivers, a couple wrenches, and a couple special tools, and the aforementioned skills and a six-year old could build a bike.

The bike is extremely light, till I add my bike bag (tubes, tools, emergency food, CO2/pump). I am also carrying a bag on the top tube in preparation for my big ride November 9th, it has a 20.1KmAh battery bank, DIY powder electrolyte mixes, my drugs, and ID's., then my 1 quart water bottle, and my JBL BT speaker, then my big fat butt, so all in all I add (not counting myself) approx. 15 pounds to a 15-16 pound bike. LOL
Oh, the wheels are also carbon, until you get used to them it like using a graphite fishing rod, very sensitive to the road, you feel everything.
My front wheel is 60 mm, and the rear is 88 mm, this is the depth of the rim.

I run very cheap Continental tires at 8 -12 dollars each, and cheap $2.50 cent tubes. LOL
Most people I know are running $70 tires and high dollar tubes. They are the GQ people. I checked specs on the high dollar Conti's (I used to run them) and besides price my cheap Conti's are as good if not better. The rolling resistance of the cheap Conti is between the two high dollar Conti's, mine do not have a puncture resistant layer. I had more flats with the higher priced tires. I got around the layer by adding my own layer inside the tire. I rarely get flats, one this year and it was catastrophic. Blew a hole in the side of the tire the size of a pencil. I walked home that day. I took the blown tire and cut some boots to add to my bike bag. The tire that blew (rear) had around 7K miles on it. It still had rubber on it, I guess the side walls got weak. Most people want to change their tires much sooner (around 2K-4K miles). I wanted to see how long I could use the tire.

I guess you found out more than needed. LOL Time to go ride (0430, should have been out a half hour ago). LOL
That is really cool, I remember putting together bikes when I was a kid, pretty fun and your right not a lot of tools required. Sounds like a really nice bike, I can't believe how much you ride. I hope you have one of those big tractor style seats on there, long term pressure/force on the perineum is not good LOL. I have an old bmx bike in the garage somewhere, I might pull it out and make a fool of myself around the property. At least if I crash there is no one around to see it. :-p
johncanfield and Wildrat like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
That is really cool, I remember putting together bikes when I was a kid, pretty fun and your right not a lot of tools required. Sounds like a really nice bike, I can't believe how much you ride. I hope you have one of those big tractor style seats on there, long term pressure/force on the perineum is not good LOL. I have an old BMX bike in the garage somewhere, I might pull it out and make a fool of myself around the property. At least if I crash there is no one around to see it. :-p

Seats have come a long way. I have two seats I use. One is full carbon and thin (approx. inch) and long and narrow with a cut out down the center for those nerves. The other is little thicker but not much, the nose on this seat is cut-off so it does not press on the nerves.
I do not like crashing it always hurts. Last time was July 4th. I busted my ribs on that one, and they are still a bit tender.
As for distance, you just have to build up to it.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page