Sig P938 legend - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I was just trying to point out why some would put up with the added bulk.

My experience in the Army taught me that you will not fight in a range environment. I have difficulty with my old eyes focusing on both front and rear sight. One is a guess pretty much.

Anyone relying on corrective lessons should expect to not have them available when needed and train for such. This is just an arm chair exercise since I donít carry, as you know.

I wonder what LEOs that require glasses are taught? They all seem to have iron sights. Maybe there is a minimum acceptable vision to be on the street.
johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've practiced pulling my gun and shooting a target as quickly as possible - all in one smooth motion. I'm shooting four or five rounds since I can't depend on the first one to get exactly on target. There's some muscle memory involved in pulling the gun, raising to high ready position in preparation to engage the target. Changing from a carry gun with a safety to one without gives me one less action to perform in a life threatening situation.

But you are exactly right - shooting performance at a range is very different from a real-life situation. I've thought about taking one of those personal defense weapon training classes but haven't done so. I've watched a bunch of training videos but watching and doing are two different situations.

Hopefully I'll never ever be in a life threatening situation where I need to pull my gun but I try to always be aware of my environment - high degree of situational awareness.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodesmo View Post
I guess we'll have to name you Dead-Eye Mac!
Good Shooting, good to see you're keeping your skill set up to snuff!
Thanks Mario
the trigger job did all the correction - i'm happy with the results
i do need to practice more..as there are 8 out of the center
Mouse likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtotem View Post
Ö..I have difficulty with my old eyes focusing on both front and rear sight. One is a guess pretty much.....
I always focus strictly on the front sight.. it's virtually impossible to focus on both. Am I wrong?

I'm not new to shooting by any means, been shooting firearms for at least 47 years... dad started me as soon as I could hold a gun. Also, I may not be Army trained, but, I fired expert with the M-16 and M-9 every time I qualified in my 22 year Air Force career. I currently shoot rifles and handguns quite regular in my backyard.
mac and johncanfield like this.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
^^Generally speaking you are correct about the front sight. It should be the only thing truly in focus.^^. That being said, there's too many scenarios for one simple technique. Practically speaking you will never even see your sights if you are in the unfortunate position to use a firearm to defend yourself. "Point and shoot". Not "JMHO". I don't even talk about sights to a new shooter until the 3rd time on the range.

Sig P938 looks to be a nice weapon. But, the best gun is always just like the best Bible translation. Pick the one you will read/carry. Now that is JMHO 😉.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtotem View Post
I wonder what LEOs that require glasses are taught? They all seem to have iron sights. Maybe there is a minimum acceptable vision to be on the street.
I asked my brother - former military, retired LEO - he said..."show up with the eyes you need to hit the target"

He doesn't recall if there is a minimum vision requirement.
He is nearsighted, so he always has his contacts in.
mac, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
For target shooting you focus on the front sight with proper alignment (side to side and leveled height) with the rears. The benefit of a red dot on a pistol is faster target acquisition and shooting with both eyes open. Very few people outside of the military and law enforcement train to do this with iron sights. For the red dot it takes a lot of practice to be truly proficient with it in a life and death situation but all sight systems take that. A lot of us carry red dots on our duty weapons. I've found I can get on target quicker with it for the i intial shot or hold proper sight picture while keeping both eyes open and maintaining visual on surroundings. follow up shots are also quicker. It does add some bulk and really tales the time to practice.
mac, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

Chris

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Thanks for the input. You bring up the good point of the improved situational awareness of having both eyes open. I can imagine it is difficult to break the habit of closing an eye.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page