Travel Plans - Rubicon Owners Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Travel Plans

Well, as things happen sometimes, our travel plans have changed. We're headed east this coming Saturday and were planning on a northern route. However, due to snow in areas we were planning to visit, we are now heading south. Looks like we'll be going south through the Moab area, Four Corners, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and then east on Rt. 66.

So my questions are:

1. We are not planning to do much if any off roading in Moab because we'll be in our pickup. However, it would be nice to maybe do some gravel road, back country travel to get an idea of the area for when we come back in the Jeep. Any suggestions as to what might work or where to go for that kind of visit?

2. Where would be a good place to stay south of Moab that would allow a day trip to the Grand Canyon one day and the Four corners area another day?

3. Suggestion as to where to stay in the Moab are.....motel this time.

Gotta see on a quick trip through Moab in a pickup?

Kind of short notice I know.....
mac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Go into the Arches National Park. Great scenery, almost all paved. Chicken Corners is another easy trip.
Try Kokopelli Lodge for a place to stay.
mac, Stinger and johncanfield like this.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Rubicus Maximus

We went to Wale arch in arches NP last year it was a stocker trip. We stay at Kokopelli lodge in their 100 west cabins. It's not fancy but allows Dogs and has been nice and quiet. Walking distance to everywhere.
We have driven south of town on the way to Sedona both directions, I don't think there is anywhere to stay, that isn't sketchy until you get to Flagstaff.
mac, Mouse and johncanfield like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

The Canyonlands Best Western in Moab is nice, our room was $99 for a King when we were there last month. Very nice free breakfast. About 50 miles north of Flagstaff there is a nice motel at Cameron Trading Post. It is close to the turnoff to the South Rim and a three hour drive to 4-corners.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to this trip. The trip along Rt 66 is something we have been talking about for a couple of years. It's starting to be a Buddy Holly/Bonnie and Clyde trip. I thinl we are going to mame a side trip through Lubbock abd Dallas to visit the final resting place of Buddy Holly and, Bonnie and Clyde. Will also visit Dealy Plaza. The Kennedy assassination was one of the defining events of the 20th Century. I've been there but my bride nas not. It's a very sobering place to visit.

In addition, Gibsland, LA and Clear Lake, IA are also on the list of spots to visit.

At some point, we are also planning on going to The Henry Ford Museum, The Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum, and The USAF Museum in Dayton, OH. It should be an interesting 2 months!

In addition, we have tickets to see one of the best music groups in the US today.....that you've never heard of.....Blackberry Smoke! Can't wait.
mac, Desert Dog and rlenglish like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

We hit some of the recommended spots on our recent trip back from CA, great sights to see.

We had met a group of Miata Car Club members in Arches that asked if we were "Eagles fans".
It took us a second to realize they meant the rock group, not the football team.
Anyway they suggested going by the "Corner in Winslow Arizona". It was just off of 66 on our way to our next stop in TX. It was just about sunrise when we got there, so we were able to look around and move on.
It was interesting to see how this small town got "on the map".

Sounds like you are going to have an exciting trip.
It's amazing the things you see when traveling by car off of the major interstates. Beautiful country.

Safe travels.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Well, there are a couple of changes to our plans. Moab is out for now, going to concentrate on the Rt 66 portion of the trip. Moab will most likely be this fall for a week.

We are leaving Saturday AM though.....really looking forward to there trip.
mac, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Well, things changed again.....

We spent our first night in Provo, UT. After arriving there, we received a call from my sister-in-law with news that my wife's mother was in the hospital. The next AM, we headed east for IL and made the trip with only one night spent on the road. My wife has been with her mother at the hospital for the last week. She might get moved to a rehab facility today....not certain.

My BIL and I are spending our time putting miles on the new truck. Yesterday we drove to Bolivia......Bolivia, IL that is!
mac and johncanfield like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hope your mom-in-law is doing okay.
mac, Mouse and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Not much new to report fromIL. MIL is out of the hospital but in rehab unit for a month. Things are better with her, but I don't think she is too good. However, my wife and her sisters are opptimistic so time will tell. At her age you just don't know.

I have about 5000 miles on the new truck and will do a quick review in a couple of days.

I wish my Jeep was here...... I sound like a kid who lost his favorite toy!
mac and johncanfield like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page