Bike talk - Page 39 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
So I look through a couple Yeti groups and people experiencing the same creek found that it was the bushings on the shock not the linkage or frame bolts. Maybe call the lbs and see if they'll pull the bushings. I know the new bikes use a different bushing from Fox.
SweetPee likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Rubicus Maximus

There was a article in Velo News a while ago that showed what chain lube had the least friction and lasted the longest. Squirt wax based lube was one of he best. I think boiling in paraffin was the very best.
I was at a race last week and Squirt sponsored it and was giving out tiny little bottles. After trying it once I ordered some from CRC. It is the best wax lube I have ever used.
SweetPee likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #383 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
@97heep I saw that also somewhere. I might need to do that no doubt. I forgot about that possible idea as well.

@rlenglish I have seen where squirt has a very popular following also. I think my LBS carries that also. More or less the impression I get now days is it is not so much what lube as much as you lube often if your a mtb person. But I have been away from the game for a while so that is why I asked. IIRC in the late 90s white lightening was the first easily accessible wax lube available via a bottle. Until this in was the paraffin wax you melted and applied, which is obviously still a good lube and is around still today.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #384 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I wax my chains every 120-150 miles. I have a small crock pot with a wax/lamp oil (refined kerosene) mixture. I have a the sram quick link. When it's time to wax, I'll put the wax on to melt, put the bike on the rack, pull chain, and put it n the wax to cook.

My chain is always clean as the debris gets cooked off. My chains last for several thousand miles also. I usually do two chain changes per season.

My ribs where I carry my firearm still hurt. Yesterday's ride when climbing was not fun. I'd reach about half breath and the rib pain began.
What was surprising about the little snake was how hard he struck. It felt like someone whacked my show with a stick. I'm glad it was a small one and it hit my shoe and not my ankle. LOL It was fiesty though. I'm off the bike a few feet away and it was still jumping at me. I couldn't even get a pic.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #385 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
the small snakes are the more dangerous ones so I have been told and have read. They often give you the full dose of venom where as a larger and older snake often will not as it knows it will need that venom for prey.

Eric C.

post #386 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

That's what they say. I'd rather not find out, especially on the bike when my heart is pumping. Lol
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

post #387 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Honestly, I am a little schoolgirl when it comes to snakes.

I used White lightning when it was popular but it doesn't last long enough in the dirt. After about a hour it is worn off.

I am not going to use paraffin. It probably is the best but requires too much effort for me.
I was using a oil based chain lube but I am tired of the grease stained lower leg syndrome.
Buy a bottle of Squirt and give it a try. I have been getting several rides out of a application.
SweetPee likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #388 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
Honestly, I am a little schoolgirl when it comes to snakes.

I used White lightning when it was popular but it doesn't last long enough in the dirt. After about a hour it is worn off.

I am not going to use paraffin. It probably is the best but requires too much effort for me.
I was using a oil based chain lube but I am tired of the grease stained lower leg syndrome.
Buy a bottle of Squirt and give it a try. I have been getting several rides out of a application.
Once you go paraffin you won't go back. It is a superior lubricant. By immersing the chain in the hot mixture the wax goes where it needs to go, inside the chain not on top of the chain. When you ride dirt hardly adheres to the chain, when you repair a flat your hands won't be black and greasy.

I don't find doing the chain anymore time consuming than putting lubricant on top. I bring the bike home, pop the chain off, and put it in the slow cooker till I remember it's there.

MARK

post #389 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
@Wildrat what paraffin do you use? Is there different types of bike chain paraffin or are we talking about plain Jane candle wax like at craft stores. I know that there are some bike specific ones out there, but I have never really read up on them.

Eric C.

post #390 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
@Wildrat what paraffin do you use? Is there different types of bike chain paraffin or are we talking about plain Jane candle wax like at craft stores. I know that there are some bike specific ones out there, but I have never really read up on them.

I make candles and have about 40 pounds of wax and I use it along with lamp oil. You have to get the mixture correct so the wax does not flake. You can also make the same wax chain lube you buy in the overpriced bike shop by adding some acetone, MIK, MEK, or another chemical that's kinda the same. The latter keeps the wax/lamp oil mixture liquid till you put it on the chain and the acetone evaporates. I don't bother with putting wax on top of my chain. I want the lube to go where it needs to go, inside the chain rollers.
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page