Bike talk - Page 37 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Yep, Carbon is like a graphite fishing rod, you feel everything, and have no clue where it could be coming from because of it.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Hey SweetPea i was thinking ... does the creaking only happen when peddling or does it happen when coasting and compressing the suspension. one thing to do is ride a smooth flat surface and peddle hard and note if you hear it. Then get some speed and coast and bounce on the bike compressing the suspension.

If you don't get the noise when coasting and only when peddling it's likely the bottom bracket which is a common problem with all manufacturers that use pressfit bottom brackets. If it does it all the time then continue checking what you are. If you're sitting and bouncing and it creaks it could be the seat tube and that's an easy fix with carbon seat tube grease. Don't use regular grease on the seat tube as it will degrade the carbon and cause the seat tube to slip.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM

Garage
The noise only seems to happen when I am in the saddle. It is not peddling dependent. And I can make the noise happen while sitting still. Simply compressing the suspension does not create it, it is as though you have to get the frame to flex a bit. I say this cause if I am sitting still, on the saddle (left foot on something to hold me up, right foot on peddle at the 6 oclock position) I can put me weight on the left of the handle bar and weight the saddle in such a way that it makes the bike create the sound. Course simple solution... don't do that LOL. BUT when I am peddling apparently I have a way of moving my weight on the bike in such a way that it really gets the frame to sing. It certainly seems to be a weight distribution in the saddle dependent noise, and not suspension cycle dependent at all.

I THINK I know where it is coming from, and it is the pivot joint, I have a pic but I cannot get it to load right now). I THINK it is this joint because if I am riding or sitting still and get the bike to make this noise then I can "feel" the noise the best in this location (the vibrations made by the noise). In the rear triangle connected & housed at this joint is two sealed bearings that are pressed into the rear triangle. I spoke with my LBS last Saturday, course they did not see the bike, but heard my story and say the pics and video below. At any rate they confirmed what I thought and that is you have to destroy those bearings to remove them. There is no way to remove them and not mess them up.

So....... I guess this saturday I will take it in to let them deal with it, cause I certainly do not want to be the one on a carbon frame pulling, beating, pressing, and messing with those bearings. It is my belief at this time that it is either these bearings or the BB which I have my reservations about it being that. If this BB give me much lip.... I will punch that sucker out and throw in a wheels mfg screw in.

For giggles, here is what I have done myself to the bike trying to track this down....
-Removed cranks, greased, re-torqued chain ring after light greasing, and have adjusted preload about 12 times.
-Dropped fork and regreased the head set
-ensured axles where lightly greased, torqued, derailleur hanger torqued and lightly greased, derailleur is torqued also.
-Cassette is torqued
-infinity link was never removed, but the mounting bolts where torqued and the link itself was checked for lube
-ALL other suspension links and rear shock has been removed, greased where possible (can't grease exterior of pressed in bearings which is what I think the issue is), and have re-torqued everything to yeti spec.
-seat post was lubed with carbon lube, clamp lubed with regular lube, seat mount and bolts were lubed and re torqued, seat rails received a light coat of grease.

here is a video: Yeti Creak

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SweetPee; 07-02-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #364 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
pic of pivot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yeti noise location 2.jpg (143.4 KB, 0 views)

Eric C.

post #365 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Put a new chain on my beast after today's ride. It was worn with around 4-5 K miles. Crock Pot lubrication makes my chains last longer. I need to order a couple more Sram chains. I have a KMC chain I could use, but I like the Sram, they seem quieter and shift better.
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

post #366 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Rode 20miles today with average speed of 17mph. I need to swap these 2.25in knobby tires out for some 35mm road tires and could probably get it up to 20mph avg. The humidity kicked my butt for sure.

My threaded raceface BB started creaking too ... ugh haha.
SweetPee likes this.

Chris

post #367 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
Rode 20miles today with average speed of 17mph. I need to swap these 2.25in knobby tires out for some 35mm road tires and could probably get it up to 20mph avg. The humidity kicked my butt for sure.

I'm used to the humidity and heat. I used to go thru two bottles of water in 50 miles, now I use one bottle. I only drink water too. I do take electrolyte tablets though.
I use these BB's on my builds:
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html

I got my average speed upto 6mph as long as I go downhill all the way. The mountains around here are terrible.
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

post #368 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post

I'm used to the humidity and heat. I used to go thru two bottles of water in 50 miles, now I use one bottle. I only drink water too. I do take electrolyte tablets though.
I use these BB's on my builds:
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html

I got my average speed upto 6mph as long as I go downhill all the way. The mountains around here are terrible.
I used those BB on all my other bikes but when I built this hard tail frame into a psudo cross/gravel style bike I had this BB laying around. I'll upgrade it to a wheels when I get back from my mtb/jeep trip to Colorado and recover from the new gears and axles haha.

I wish I lived somewhere with elevation. I've really contemplated moving to Colorado or Utah but then starting over again in my line of work I don't look forward to haha.
Wildrat likes this.

Chris

post #369 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
The noise only seems to happen when I am in the saddle. It is not peddling dependent. And I can make the noise happen while sitting still. Simply compressing the suspension does not create it, it is as though you have to get the frame to flex a bit. I say this cause if I am sitting still, on the saddle (left foot on something to hold me up, right foot on peddle at the 6 oclock position) I can put me weight on the left of the handle bar and weight the saddle in such a way that it makes the bike create the sound. Course simple solution... don't do that LOL. BUT when I am peddling apparently I have a way of moving my weight on the bike in such a way that it really gets the frame to sing. It certainly seems to be a weight distribution in the saddle dependent noise, and not suspension cycle dependent at all.

here is a video: Yeti Creak
I had a noise very similar from my bike. It really reminds me of the early days when the carbon fiber would start to delaminate from the steel inserts. Usually the bottom bracket shell. The main reason we have press fit's now.
You have gone the distance in trying to track this down but I would be surprised if it turns out to be a pivot or bearing. When you are hammering out of the saddle you put way more stress on the frame then sitting down and you said it's quiet when standing.
My hardtail would creak something fierce when seated and pedalling. Not even pedalling hard. After some trial and error I located it to the internal of my dropper post. With a carbon frame I think any creak just echo's and sounds the same.
I use KS droppers and fixed it by putting the post half way, unthreading the seal collar, and running a small amount of wax chain lube around the inner and outer post. Worked it up and down, let sit overnight and noise is gone.
I don't know what kind of post you have, if it's not the same style then get the bike shop to install a solid one from their parts bin to try out. Better to eliminate that before they start pressing anything in or out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190702_202425.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 views)
SweetPee likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #370 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Garage
Quick question on those who have or have used the wheels Mfg BBs..... do they take a special wrench/socket setup or will a tool for other screw in type BBs work on them? I have never had a screw in, but like I said if this BB becomes a talker I will not hesitate to yank it.

@rlenglish I will look into that idea as well. I have used some light lube on the post and worked it in, but not an actual chain lube. I think I used some park grease, and barely any. I have lowered my Fox transfer post to halfway and even a little lower than that. The sound stays but changes pitch I guess you could say. My initial thought/explanation of that was that it is reducing the leverage my weight has on the frame. I am under 275lbs now.... so I know I am not too heavy for this darn thing.

I did make an interesting observation on my creak last night riding.... it happens the most, and is most predominate when I have my left hand on the handlebar with my normal riding body weight. Remove my left hand from the bar, the noise decreases in frequency/occurrence. It is still there, just not as much. This is something defiantly related to my weight and the left side of this bike somehow. Thing is I have re greased and torqued my head set, stem, bars.....

Eric C.

Last edited by SweetPee; 07-03-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page