Bike talk - Page 36 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Dang man glad you're safe at least. When i moved back to Houston i gave up road because of the way people drive here. I've been hit enough times by cars on a bike.

I did a spin class yesterday cause we've been getting so much rain. The class kicked my butt for sure.
Wildrat likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Garage
I can tell a HUGE difference in riding around my small town today vs 20 some years ago. It is really quite an odd demographic out there on the streets today. Today people simply do not care... about anything really. It is what they want or what they are doing or trying to do that take precedent over all in the world. I ride a motorcycle also and my caution level on it has always been extremely high due to everyone around me. So much so that it is almost to the point that I refuse to ride my mc at night. But I seriously wonder if riding my mtb on the street isn't sometimes more hazardous than the mc.

on a another note........ I have got to take the swing arm pivots apart on this yeti. I have a creak that is driving me insane. I have trouble shot everything, seatpost clamp, seat post, saddle mount, BB, crank..... I think I have finally found it and it appears to be the large main pivot that attaches the swingarm to the link extender that the shock mounts to. I half arsed greased it last night hoping for a quick easy fix....nope. Apparently I am going to have to get in there and really grease the hell out of it.

I despise a noisy bike..... especially a 5K dollar bike.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #353 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
on a another note........ I have got to take the swing arm pivots apart on this yeti. I have a creak that is driving me insane. I have trouble shot everything, seatpost clamp, seat post, saddle mount, BB, crank..... I think I have finally found it and it appears to be the large main pivot that attaches the swingarm to the link extender that the shock mounts to. I half arsed greased it last night hoping for a quick easy fix....nope. Apparently I am going to have to get in there and really grease the hell out of it.

I despise a noisy bike..... especially a 5K dollar bike.

A friend last year bought a Yeti MTB, I don't know what model, frame only. He got it built up and it had a squeak in the same place. Yeti replaced the frame. The second one was fine. I don't think the Chinese know what grease is. It's the same thing with bearings. I've got to where the first thing I do with new bearings is pull the dust cap and add grease. if I were a professional racer with a team of mechanics taking care of my bike I would not worry, and someone else paying my way, but I am not and I want it to roll more than a hundred miles between greasing's. LOL
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #354 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Well.... took all the linkage and pivot points apart tonight and greased the ever living heck out of things. The only thing i did not do was remove the pressed in bearings. Basically cause i dont know how without possibly messing something up.

Still creaks.... bad.... so very pi$$ed. I really do not know what else to do.

Eric C.

post #355 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:42 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Well.... took all the linkage and pivot points apart tonight and greased the ever living heck out of things. The only thing i did not do was remove the pressed in bearings. Basically cause i dont know how without possibly messing something up.

Still creaks.... bad.... so very pi$$ed. I really do not know what else to do.
Where is the creaks coming from? The press fit bottom brackets can creak some times. It shouldn't be the bearings. It sounds like the bike shop screwed something up when they assemble it. I own multiple and don't have any creaking and when i did it was the bottom bracket or head tube from the fork being lose in the head set.

Chris

post #356 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:36 AM

Garage
The best i can tell it sounds and feels like it is coming from the area in the pic with the arrow. But i have gone all over it and greased everything. So next i guess i will grease the headset, check rear hub, and derailleur hanger since i have no idea what else to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190627_212956_1561718190243.jpg (534.7 KB, 3 views)

Eric C.

post #357 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
The best i can tell it sounds and feels like it is coming from the area in the pic with the arrow. But i have gone all over it and greased everything. So next i guess i will grease the headset, check rear hub, and derailleur hanger since i have no idea what else to do.
Did you check the link that connects to the shock? That's a new design but the shock bushings could be creaking of the screw isn't torqued.

Chris

post #358 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:27 PM

Garage
Yea i had all of it apart, wiped clean and reapplied lube with Park HPG. The only thing in that assembly i did not lube is the eyelets/holes/bushing that is at ea h end of the shock itself. I might go back and do that here soon.

Today i didnt have much time. But i cleaned, lightly lubed and torqued the rear axle. Cleaned, lubed, and retorqued the derailleur hanger. Checked the rear spokes for anything real odd. And added some light lube to the chainstays where the hubs slide in.

Still has noise. Tomorrow if i can, Im dropping the fork, lubing the headset, and retorquing all that.
Wildrat likes this.

Eric C.

post #359 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Have you checked the seat? It can make you think you have creaks everywhere. Try lifting your weight off the seat while it's making noise. My bike started making noise. I could feel it in my feet. I changed crank and hub bearings, greased speed play pedals, etc. Only to find out my seat was making noise. I changed seats and it remained creak free for a few hundred miles till it succumbed to my fat arse. Now I carry a JBL Flip 4 to drown the noise out. LOL
Two weeks we had a female rider with a creak. We told her check the seat. She is a believer now after a couple pricey trips to the bike shop to find out it was her seat. They epoxied her seat on the second trip but it won't last. I've tried it.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #360 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I have creaky seat post right now. Carbon bike frames transmit noise everywhere. You would think it to be the opposite but it isn't.
If you think it is a pivot then tear it down and grease all the pivots, bearings and bearing surfaces. You will have sealed bearings but a little grease on their mounting surface will do wonders.
Does it creak when your coasting? How about pedalling out of the saddle? If you stand beside the bike and side load your pedal, like your checking for triangle flex, does it creak then.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page