Bike talk - Page 35 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #341 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I agree with Wild the skills will come back. I'll be the first to admit I am not as fast or as confident as I was when I raced in College or rode as a kid. I just don't heal as quick as I used to and don't want that to be a reason I can't ride.

The skills will come back as you get more experience with your bike. Every bike is different and takes some time. The first time I rode a 29er I hated it. After I finally bought one it took me a couple weeks to relearn how to ride the wagon wheel. Turning was the first difference from a 26er or 27.5 that I noticed. I had to change my turn in points and breaking, but in the end it became natural just like my 27.5 bike.

As for skills bunny hops and wheelies will be different because you have the middle shock. If on pavement you can lock the shock out (firm position). There are a lot of good videos on youtube that go through skills where they use a full squishy bike. It does change things but once you start hitting the trails you'll love having that squish.

Make sure your shock and fork are set up properly pressure wise. It makes a world of difference on a Yeti what 5psi more or less can do.
SweetPee and Wildrat like this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Did 35miles in just over 2 hours this morning on my ARC that I converted into a gravel/ cross/ rode bike. Also just ordered a set of light weight carbon wheels for it. The current wheel set comes in around 2kg. The new ones should be around 1.4kg. Will also be mounting a set of 700x35c tires on the new wheels which will help I think over the 2.25in knobby tires currently on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190618_124329_1560885118224.jpg (153.5 KB, 2 views)

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #343 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
Make sure your shock and fork are set up properly pressure wise. It makes a world of difference on a Yeti what 5psi more or less can do.

Suspension setup for me will be difficult. I have had a local dealer run through things with me for initial setup. BUT... I am losing weight hand over fist (good problem to have). So this means my suspension will change as well. The fork was pretty straight right out of the box, open I am right around 25% sag. The DPX2 has a volume spacer installed (blue I believe if that means anything, a bigger one but not huge). But it was at about 30% sag, but I can already tell that it might be at about 25% now. I ride everything mostly in the open position, but have thrown the dpx2 into the middle a few times. All my rebound setting on both are set to mid range.

So yea it is going to take a lot of learning and playing around as my weight starts to stabilize. Since taking possession of the yeti I have lost 15lbs (initial setup was when I was 290, 275 now). February I weight 367 for comparison.
rlenglish likes this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

post #344 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I'd like to loose some weight, around 30 pounds, but that won't happen till I kick off. LOL 30 pounds off my bike and I could give the youngsters a run for their money.
SweetPee likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #345 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
Did 35miles in just over 2 hours this morning on my ARC that I converted into a gravel/ cross/ rode bike. Also just ordered a set of light weight carbon wheels for it. The current wheel set comes in around 2kg. The new ones should be around 1.4kg. Will also be mounting a set of 700x35c tires on the new wheels which will help I think over the 2.25in knobby tires currently on it.
What kind of wheels did you order.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #346 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
Suspension setup for me will be difficult. I have had a local dealer run through things with me for initial setup. BUT... I am losing weight hand over fist (good problem to have). So this means my suspension will change as well. The fork was pretty straight right out of the box, open I am right around 25% sag. The DPX2 has a volume spacer installed (blue I believe if that means anything, a bigger one but not huge). But it was at about 30% sag, but I can already tell that it might be at about 25% now. I ride everything mostly in the open position, but have thrown the dpx2 into the middle a few times. All my rebound setting on both are set to mid range.

So yea it is going to take a lot of learning and playing around as my weight starts to stabilize. Since taking possession of the yeti I have lost 15lbs (initial setup was when I was 290, 275 now). February I weight 367 for comparison. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Yeti actually has a place on their website that you can enter your weight and height and it'll spit out recommend settings for the shock and fork. As you lose weight this might not be a bad route to take for quick checking and setting suspension until your weight stabilizes. congrats on losing the weight.

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb1...rt-shock-setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
What kind of wheels did you order.
I ordered a set of Lightbicycle XC 29in wheels mounted on DT Swiss 350 hubs.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/beadles...27mm-wide.html

Cheap and lightweight for the pavement pounder should be no issue. They have a decent warranty and since they were only $670 if they do brake i am not too worried about it. It's not an actual road bike and set up as a 1x11 with 40T chain ring it's not going to be a time trial speed machine.

Chris

post #347 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 AM

Garage
Thanks for the link and heads up 97heep. I will check that out. I played with the settings last night and I feel I got the fork dialed in a bit better. It is a little stiffer now. Rebound settings have me all confused trying to keep Fox's adjustments strait in my head as far as fast/slow vs is that more or less rebound control. It almost seems as though they are saying the more weight of the rider and the higher the air pressure the slower the rebound should be which seems counter intuitive to me, I would think for a heavy rider with higher psi you would want more rebound so it would be setup for the next bump.

My yeti came with DT Swiss hubs, I know they are nothing high dollar... But I like it that they are a straight spoke design and that their maintenance seems so easy. The straight spokes remind me of a set of Pulsar hubs I had back in the early days which were on the same level then as a Chris King set.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

post #348 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
It took me probably a year to really dial the suspension in on my SB5 and when I goto colorado it'll change again due to carrying more weight in my hydration pack. It also changes depending on the trails one rides we just have to find the median where it performs good all around. Here are a couple vids that might help.

https://youtu.be/ylkTWArNX04

https://youtu.be/xhnKTZu2AKs

DT Swiss hubs are a great hub and are very easy to service. The 350 are their mid level entry hub and I've never had any issue with them. The 240s are the same hub just a little lighter and a lot more expensive. You can upgrade your hub to have a faster engagement with their star ratchet cog.

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-5...SAAEgKwnvD_BwE
SweetPee likes this.

Chris

post #349 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Rode like a rock star today. I started taking my blood pressure meds before I ride. When I got home my pressure was so low that if I bent over or squatted when I came up I was about to pass out.
I did not feel bad while riding except being slow.
Today I did not take my meds. I rode like I rode last year, which is good.
I'll find out tomorrow if this was the reason for riding well today. I ride with a group tomorrow, they have been getting froggy since I have not rode with them in awhile. LOL I'll have to get two miles ahead and let them know Mark is back. LOL
SweetPee and rlenglish like this.

MARK

post #350 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I rode good again today. I'll go back to taking meds after I ride. On another note all the morons were out driving today. I had one woman nearly take my leg off. I signaled to go left to go around and obstacle. I moved to the left and the moron passes me with me in the left lane.
The other woman was in the wrong lane pointed toward me talking to a cyclist riding the wrong way and another woman with a unruly mongrel. I had to stop, they all looked at me and kept yapping. The moron in the car pulls up beside me and ask if she did something wrong as I was snapping her picture. I tried to get the plate but their was an iilegal cover over the plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idiot.jpg (106.7 KB, 10 views)

MARK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page