Bike talk - Page 33 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Well... Called around and tried to get a demo or try out a yeti.... That did not happen. Local dealer did not have any on the floor but he offered to let me try his 130. Course as luck would have it I kept missing him when I was out up that direction.

So relying on pure research, reports, past experience, and current experiences of others..... I ordered a SB130 yesterday (medium frame, I'm 5'10") with raceface chester composite flat pedals. Should have it in a couple weeks I believe. I originally wanted the raw/black/carbon colored frame but yeti is back ordered on those until end of June, early july. So yeti turquoise it is! I'll post some pics when things are in and squared away.
Wildrat, FLLJ and rlenglish like this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I rode yesterday, normal ride for this place. Today I ride and see these signs which say bike route. The thing is I don't know who the morons in this city consulted but where they put signs are not the bike routes in my area. It's like someone just drove around putting up signs.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #323 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I went riding yesterday with a buddy that got me into mountain biking. Was a good easy ride. When we reached the turn around I offered to let him ride my bike, yeti sb5, and i rode his. Well his seat was a bit high, didn't have a dropper post so wasn't really able to keep my heals down. Hit a short decent and well .... i got bit by his flats lol.
@SweetPee your sb130 come in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190526_185640_1559006326755.jpg (104.7 KB, 2 views)
Wildrat and rlenglish like this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #324 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 AM

Garage
OUCH!

Yea I got my sb130 in. So far I have only really put in miles around town. Figured that would be better to get back acclimated to everything. I keep meaning to take a pic or two and it keeps slipping my mind. So far I really like it a lot! The geometry and riding position is so different than my old setup and of course being full squish now is just crazy.... very smooth. This thing just soaks it all up. Hill climbing on what I have done is very smooth also, no pogoing or anything like that. I'd say the one thing that feels the most odd to me is the bikes suspension movement when pedaling while standing... that seems very different to me.

We have been getting a lot of rain here, I keep watching the local trail conditions via the reports on facebook. Looking forward to the time I put the tires to the trail.
rlenglish likes this.

Eric C.

post #325 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
I went riding yesterday with a buddy that got me into mountain biking. Was a good easy ride. When we reached the turn around I offered to let him ride my bike, yeti sb5, and i rode his. Well his seat was a bit high, didn't have a dropper post so wasn't really able to keep my heals down. Hit a short decent and well .... i got bit by his flats lol.
@SweetPee your sb130 come in?

You should see my legs from riding on these crappy paved streets around here. Every time I come home I have to stand and let the dogs lick my legs. They get cut up from the road debris on the roads. This place is terrible for debris, worst I've ever ridden in.

MARK

post #326 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
Well here is the obligatory poser pic LOL. I really like it, verdict is still out on the flats though. Years ago in all my riding I had clips/straps. And while I never had a single issue with them, I know they are frowned upon. I was going to go clipless but the local shop made some arguments on both sides (for/against flats) and I decided to give flats a try. I like the pedals (raceface chester composites) and the freedom, but what I miss is the "bad habit, poor form crutches" I had in my past that allowed me to do things easier. Like bunny hop, now it is a whole new thing I have to learn. I never imagined that in the mtb world of today that the flat vs clip debate would be so large.... apparently there are some passionate people on both sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yeti SB130.jpg (646.0 KB, 4 views)
Wildrat and rlenglish like this.

Eric C.

post #327 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Nice workout routine Mark, keep it up!

post #328 of 446 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Yep, 50+ miles today, but they were warm miles. I've had to start carrying two bottles. Yesterday it was 92F, heat index 102. It was a little cooler today by 2.

MARK

post #329 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I bought a new road bike. Etap wireless shifting, disc brakes and tubular wheels. My last road bike is at least 10 years old and it was time to upgrade. Kona isn't really known for road bikes but I am racing on one of their mountain bikes this year.
I went for a mountain ride and put in some elevation and hit the local trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190602_185658.jpg (293.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_164710_655.jpg (155.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_164710_654.jpg (152.0 KB, 1 views)
SweetPee and Wildrat like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #330 of 446 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Cool, the next bike I build will have ETAP and disk, but only because. LOL

I rode 53 yesterday, and it was warm @ 96F or 35C.

Also saw a husband and wife on electric bikes. The husband was trying to convince me by putting his electric bike in the first speed and pedaling it was like my road bike. If you have to make excuses to save face just ride a road bike. LOL I did not bust his bubble and left him content in his belief.

Make sure you ride the road bike and don't forget to charge batteries for the ETAP.

MARK

Last edited by Wildrat; 06-03-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page