Bike talk - Page 3 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 223Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJW View Post
Cyclops is your friend! My threshold for cold changed drastically after pedaling for 15 years in AZ. I used to avearge 150 miles a week in that consistent climate, but I absolutely can't handle cold anymore, so my Trek Carbon Postal and I spend crappy days inside. The Cycleops trainer is great, mine is over 20 years old and, although it isn't as good a workout as out on the road, it beats sitting on the couch watching the game. +1 on Performance gear, good bang for the buck and thanks for posting the ISM seat info, looks like a good idea to help keep the boys happy.
I have a mag trainer with my steel bike mounted sitting in front of my flat screen. I'll go on you tube and find a video or a GCN video and ride to them. It's still boring as heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
All this talk got me looking into a computer, what are you opinions on the edge 520?
The 520 is what I initially looked at but then I noticed the price diff was not that different for a base unit. I found an 810 base unit for 259. I already have ANT+ sensors, and I don't use a heart monitor so that would be good for me. To be honest all the computer really needs to do for me is cadence, mph, and distance and be able to be downloaded. I guess I am kind of a computer geek and the other data is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
Have you tried snow ski gloves? they worked for me in the past on really cold days.
No I've not tried ski gloves and at this point because of my annoyance with these gloves, I think I will just ride the trainer when the temps are below 40 or so. I say that but I will either end up with new gloves or some good liners.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
I suppose I'm an amatuer in these things. This is my Trek Shift 1 bike:

In carbon (the paint color, as it is an alloy frame), fitted with a rear rack and a double nylon ripstop pannier bags for fetching groceries. It also has puncture-resistant Kevlar-belted tires that are decent on dirt paths and gravel trails. It was manufactured in my kid's home town in Madison, WI. Best feature: this $460 bike (2013 model year retail price) was free, my 30-year employee gift from HP.

Yes, this is a comfortable "cruiser bike" with fat tires and only a 7-speed rear end. It mostly gets used for 2-mile or 8-mile round trips depending upon which grocery store I am going to, or a 2-mile round trip to the pharmacy, or a 3-mile round trip to the hardware store. But I do also take it to Moab where it fetches groceries and takes me to the bathroom and back, from the cheaper tent sites "way in the back" of the campground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoZNzILVnA

I have reduced my Jeep usage to less than 1000 miles per year, compared to 11,000 miles in the beginning while still working. However, I'm cheating - the biggest reduction came about when I retired. Sometimes I take the bike to the lightrail station and ride from the train, on a variety of trails in the greater San Jose area.

I admit, most miles on the bike are less than 10 mile trips - but I'm 65, slowly losing excess weight and getting in better shape.

Sorry I missed answering your post. Hey any bike is great when ya ride it, and any amount of miles are great! After all my surgeries on my back, neck, ankle, shoulder, I did not think I would be able to ride, mainly because my legs will get numb and collapse after walking.
I've always biked and I slowly got stronger over a several years, so I built a steel bike, rode it for about a year, started out riding 10, then 20, 30, 40, 50, 60,80 miles. I have learned what fuels my body good, strangely enough if I eat potato's the day before I feel great. Depending on the ride I will take a Clif bar with me, eat half, then eat the other half. The ride length determines how many bars I bring. Ib the hot sunner, I will take a Clif Gel, and a bar with me. I'm careful with the Gels, they are quick energy.
Anyway, just keep at it! Oh forgot, My carbon bike I built last spring and that's what I ride on the streets.

MARK

Last edited by Wildrat; 01-08-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #23 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
Sorry I missed answering your post. Hey any bike is great when ya ride it, and any amount of miles are great! After all my surgeries on my back, neck, ankle, shoulder, I did not think I would be able to ride, mainly because my legs will get numb and collapse after walking.
I've always biked and I slowly got stronger over a several years, so I built a steel bike, rode it for about a year, started out riding 10, then 20, 30, 40, 50, 60,80 miles. I have learned what fuels my body good, strangely enough if I eat potato's the day before I feel great. Depending on the ride I will take a Clif bar with me, eat half, then eat the other half. The ride length determines how many bars I bring. Ib the hot sunner, I will take a Clif Gel, and a bar with me. I'm careful with the Gels, they are quick energy.
Anyway, just keep at it! Oh forgot, My carbon bike I built last spring and that's what I ride on the streets.
I totally agree with this advice, whatever you have, just ride it. I didn't get into serious cycling until I was in my early 40's. I went on a training ride for the Phoenix MS150 with a co-worker who had shamed me into it. When I whined about not being able to ride more than 5 miles, he pointed out he was a dozen years my senior, had suffered from polio since his youth, had multiple back and knee surgeries, so I had nothing to snivel about. Thanks to his smack talking, I found a (hopefully) lifelong way to keep active and be continue to able to dig my Jeep out of sand pits and rock piles.

2013 Rubi, A/T 4:10, 2" Rancho lift & RS 9000XK, LOD Full Front Bumper, ENGO E9000S Winch, Syn rope, Factor 55 Thimble, Rock Hard bumper-tire carrier-cargo basket-can mount, Engine/Trans and LCA skids, BFG M/T 255/80/17 KO2
post #24 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Rubi Noobie

I agree, any bike that is ridden is a good bike. I am not much of a cold out-door rider simply because if something goes wrong, you never know, it could be the end. So, I ride a trainer during the colder days. (Below 32f) So, this year for Christmas Miss Clause bought me a Wahoo KICKR trainer and I use the Zwift App on my ipad to train with riders all over the world as a "virtual rider". Super fun and motivating. Check it out on their website or youtube. All you really need is a trainer, speed and cadence sensors with wifi/Ant+, a smart phone or ipad to open the App. You can also use heart rate and power meter if you have them. If you enjoy riding this is the way to get it done during the cold winter months. You should also have a towel and a fan because you will sweet. Check it out. Ride On!
Wildrat likes this.
post #25 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I just ride my steel bike on the mag trainer watching something on TV to keep boredom down.

Today is another story, the cold spell is gone for a few days, it's 50F outside this morning, I'm dressed in my bib shorts/jersey waiting for the sun to come up a bit, then I will be off to the streets for a ride.

MARK

post #26 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

32 miles yesterday morning. I get home and some woman stops at my drive and begins to tell me I need a light higher up on the rear of my bike.I just told her okay.
I have a light on my helmet, a light on my saddle bag, and a light on my left chainstay.
People will make any excuse for their poor driving abilities! Even without lights in broad daylight, if you can't see me taking up half the lane you have issues. She was likely a cat person.
ynotcycle likes this.

MARK

post #27 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Had to put the bike on the stand, rear hanger got bent when the bike got knocked over by the dogs with the help of a 20-30 mph wind.
Bent the hanger back and readjusted stops.
I also took the opportunity to clean chain, cassette, and both derailleurs thouroughly.
I also took pedals apart and lubed them.
The bike should be good to go for awhile.
I also ordered a Garmin 520 Bundle rather than the 810. Talked to my friends at LBS and they all use the 520, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. I shouldn't even have to download the Open Street Map routable cycling map to it. I should be able to take the MSD card out of the 450 and stick it in the 520.

MARK

post #28 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Rubi Noobie

Alright. With all that cleaning and adjusting you should be able to push out some extra watts and mph which is equal to fun. Let us know how you like the 520.
Ride On!
post #29 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotcycle View Post
Alright. With all that cleaning and adjusting you should be able to push out some extra watts and mph which is equal to fun. Let us know how you like the 520.
Ride On!
LOL, I'll be doing the same as I always do. Slow and Sure.

The cleaning was pretty easy. I just used kerosene. Let the chain soak, brush everything else, then hosed it off.

MARK

post #30 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Rode 34 today, wanted to do 50= but had to get home to send my last motorcycle and everything affiliated with it to a new home.
I also received the Garmin 520 in the mail and have it setup I think, lol, all the sensors are paired and my phone is paired also. I just need to install the Open Street Map cycling map for my area.

MARK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page