Bike talk - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 223Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
Good info on the seats. Might make me dust off the bikes and go for a ride.

Cool, I'll tell ya I can't walk far because of the pressure on my spine and nerve damage in my legs. They will collapse from no signal for a millisecond then kick back in. On the bike I do not have that problem. I can ride for miles and miles.
I typically ride 3 x's a week, Monday and Wednesday anywhere from 32-50 miles and Saturday, I ride till I'm tired of riding. LOL
Tomorrow will be a challenge though for me. 31F, 19F Wind Chill into a 15-25 MPH wind out of the North.
Last time it got cool I had three pair of gloves on and my fingers were frozen. I have some high dollar gloves now from Sweden, they are called lobster gloves, I will be trying them out tomorrow, hopefully fingers will be fine.
Of course this all depends if I can get my sorry butt out the door. LOL

On another note I may have to buy another bike computer. I went out for my Wednesday ride and my Garmin 450T quit a half mile into the ride. I'm hoping when I swapped batteries, I put the dead ones back in. We will see tomorrow. If it is failing I am looking at the Garmin 520 or 810, they are pricey, but I already have ANT+ sensors so I do not need to buy them, which chops a 100+ dollars off the price. I just need the computer.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Rubi Noobie

I use the Garmin 1000. I have several bikes, road, mtb, gravel and I just move the unit from bike to bike. Works awesome. You need sensors on each bike but small price to pay for ease of use. I use the maps on my longer gravel rides/races of 100 to 200 miles. Really takes the worry out of following a coarse or keeping track of free-ride training rides. Good luck.
Wildrat likes this.
post #13 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 810. I downloaded some of the open street map files and uploaded to my 450T. I like the color and layout of these maps better than my Garmin Topo map.

MARK

post #14 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Rubi Noobie

My tteammate uses the 810. Can not go wrong either way. Great products. Ride On!
post #15 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Likely will order one next week. I'm trying to talk myself into riding today but it's 26F with windchill of 14F with a 20-30 MPH wind and I am nice an warm in the house. LOL That wind would be the killer! LOL

MARK

post #16 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I went for a ride this morning if you want to call it that, more like around the block. I wore my Craft Siberian split finger gloves for the first time. A complete waste of money. I had to head home after ten miles, my fingers were frozen at 26F. I am annoyed, these gloves are not cheap. Now, it's either ride the trainer or find another pair of gloves that will keep my fingers warm.

MARK

post #17 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Garage
Cyclops is your friend! My threshold for cold changed drastically after pedaling for 15 years in AZ. I used to avearge 150 miles a week in that consistent climate, but I absolutely can't handle cold anymore, so my Trek Carbon Postal and I spend crappy days inside. The Cycleops trainer is great, mine is over 20 years old and, although it isn't as good a workout as out on the road, it beats sitting on the couch watching the game. +1 on Performance gear, good bang for the buck and thanks for posting the ISM seat info, looks like a good idea to help keep the boys happy.

2013 Rubi, A/T 4:10, 2" Rancho lift & RS 9000XK, LOD Full Front Bumper, ENGO E9000S Winch, Syn rope, Factor 55 Thimble, Rock Hard bumper-tire carrier-cargo basket-can mount, Engine/Trans and LCA skids, BFG M/T 255/80/17 KO2
post #18 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
All this talk got me looking into a computer, what are you opinions on the edge 520?

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
post #19 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I suppose I'm an amatuer in these things. This is my Trek Shift 1 bike:

In carbon (the paint color, as it is an alloy frame), fitted with a rear rack and a double nylon ripstop pannier bags for fetching groceries. It also has puncture-resistant Kevlar-belted tires that are decent on dirt paths and gravel trails. It was manufactured in my kid's home town in Madison, WI. Best feature: this $460 bike (2013 model year retail price) was free, my 30-year employee gift from HP.

Yes, this is a comfortable "cruiser bike" with fat tires and only a 7-speed rear end. It mostly gets used for 2-mile or 8-mile round trips depending upon which grocery store I am going to, or a 2-mile round trip to the pharmacy, or a 3-mile round trip to the hardware store. But I do also take it to Moab where it fetches groceries and takes me to the bathroom and back, from the cheaper tent sites "way in the back" of the campground.

I have reduced my Jeep usage to less than 1000 miles per year, compared to 11,000 miles in the beginning while still working. However, I'm cheating - the biggest reduction came about when I retired. Sometimes I take the bike to the lightrail station and ride from the train, on a variety of trails in the greater San Jose area.

I admit, most miles on the bike are less than 10 mile trips - but I'm 65, slowly losing excess weight and getting in better shape.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ

Last edited by KaiserJeep; 01-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #20 of 491 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
I went for a ride this morning if you want to call it that, more like around the block. I wore my Craft Siberian split finger gloves for the first time. A complete waste of money. I had to head home after ten miles, my fingers were frozen at 26F. I am annoyed, these gloves are not cheap. Now, it's either ride the trainer or find another pair of gloves that will keep my fingers warm.
Have you tried snow ski gloves? they worked for me in the past on really cold days.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page