4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mouse
  • 1 Post By sierrabob
  • 1 Post By Wildrat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Question Rebuild or replace floor jack cylinder?

My 20 year-old floor jack has a leaky cylinder and I would like to rebuild it, has anybody done this? It's my best floor jack and I would hate to put it out to pasture .

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
My 20 year-old floor jack has a leaky cylinder and I would like to rebuild it, has anybody done this? It's my best floor jack and I would hate to put it out to pasture .

Many years ago I when I was a new recruit at Nellis Air base training to be a crew chief we were required to do temporary duty on the flight line in the maintenance shops. I did repair big hydraulic jacks that lifted fighter jets. The floor jack video above is essential what we did, change 'O' rings. The video is slow and hard to watch, author needs a tripod, but does cover what to do. Only hassle will be hunting down proper size 'O' rings.

2005 Rubicon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Finding some one that stocks the o-rings will be the hardest part, but Amazon may have them. Is it a brand name jack?

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
I would try to rebuild it. Last time I looked seals were difficult to find, but is probably worth it. I don't think there are anything but Chinese cylinders made in the world anymore.

I have an old Craftsman jack that was built before the Chinese invasion to jacks. You bet I'll do everything possible to keep it alive!
mac and johncanfield like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Garage
Interesting. First place I would look for seals is McMaster-Carr.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Thanks guys and thanks for the video Bob. I've been overwhelmed the last 12 hours changing web host providers for my website and another website I host and support. It's a huge hassle but necessary. Anyway....

The jack isn't a well known brand, don't even remember. Probably out of the same Chinese factory that makes them under many brands.

It isn't leaking fluid, it just leaks down (if that makes sense.) I might as well tear it down and see what I can do for it since it really isn't that useful at this point. I just had the second lift cylinder rebuilt on my 1998 Kubota loader, the other one started gushing fluid about three years ago. Fortunately seals were available for those cylinders.

Roger on McMaster Carr. An amazing place.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Rubicus Maximus

You may be in luck with an easy fix. I think a jack that will not hold it's position and goes down has a bad release valve 'O' ring. At least try that first. Watch out there is probably a ball bearing that will also come out when you turn out the valve and that needs to go in or the jack goes no where.
johncanfield likes this.

2005 Rubicon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Use plenty of petrolatum. We did that on the gear on the heavies. Extend the cylinder then slather it with petrolatum. O-rings aren't hard to find. You just need to any decent rubber company or even good year rubber. McMasters would likely have them also and they ship fast. Just remember the word slather when ya go back together with it.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page