Remodeled my dads old shop - Rubicon Owners Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Remodeled my dads old shop

So I bought my parents house and property. My dad retired and shut down his business for good and decided to travel in their RV. He had an old shop that they would service the semi's in but was basically a roof held up by 2 mobile homes. I had to brace the roof then tear down the mobile homes. Then wrapped it in metal. The original door was 12x12 but I didn't have the money for that size. I ended up going 8x10 so I could also do a walk in door. I've never had a garage and didn't think that through. Should have went 10x10. I'm now hanging the shop lights. I'm starting with two eight foot fixtures then expanding to two more by the end of the year. Exterior I need to trim out the doors and want to build an awning off the front. I have enough knowledge at the moment to be a good assistant and pass tools and this is the first time I've branched out to do the work myself. Now I have a secure space that I can buy and stock with tools to work on my Jeep. I'm sure when it's done I'll have more Jeep friends wanting to come over and utilize this utopia. Thanks for looking. More to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0709_1494991620750.JPG (171.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708_1494991630927.JPG (137.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0707_1494991640846.JPG (112.4 KB, 95 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
That's a lot of work, but you are going to enjoy the space.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome Jimmy! I grabbed all of my father-in-law's tools after he passed and have fond memories whenever I use them. Your picture(s) didn't show up for some reason.

Okay, now I can view the images. Wow, what a project.
mac and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM
mac
Administrator

Good Work fix`n the shop...

please put in your State and town so we know where we can use the new shop

all kidding aside...it`s nice to know where ROF members live in case someone needs help
Thanks
mac
WayWestJeep likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Like JC said: lotta work. Congratulations
johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

Frank!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Don't be afraid of inexperience, you obviously weren't afraid of ripping into that shop and making it a great place to work. I have always lived by the motto that if someone else can do it so can I.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Rubi Noobie

Looks like a great project. As stated earlier, inexpensive is good. I finished my garage on the inside with old pallet wood and old barn siding. Both I found on local craigslist ads. The pallet were free and the tin was super cheap and once installed looks awesome. You can also find inexpensive or free materials at auctions or estate sales....especially at the end because they just want it gone.

Good luck and keep it fun.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Rubicus Maximus

You probably have this in consideration, excuse the story. This is just what comes to mind whenever I think about building.

I built my garage and made it extra long for my workshop. Over my lifetime I have had two friends lose their shops/garages to fires. I also accidentally started a fuel fire in the garage when I was young while fooling with my first car. Luckily I figured out how to use the fire extinguisher and got it out without burning down the place. Scared the "H" out of me

Those experiences have made me safety minded. Just a reminder, line your shop, including the ceiling, with fireproof gypsum board, plan to store all fuel and flammables in a shed away from the shop and have fire extinguishers place in easy to see locations.

Edit: I have remembered two more shop fires over the years, one lost a race track Corvette and another lost a 40 ford with a 427 L88. Both lost the entire shop and parts of their house. Excuse again.
johncanfield and Wood like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 05-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Ineed on the lining the walls. I physically could not do my ceiling but the 12 foot walls are covered with gypsum for the fire resistance.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Rubi Noobie

Jimmy, hope you are enjoying your dad's shop!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page