Mig Welding.... - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Garage
I splurged and bought a 3m Speedglas helmet and a few different cheater lenses - makes a huge difference!

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Hey all. So I haven't welded in over 12 years and so don't remember much but am looking at getting a mig welder to start doing some fab work. I am firstly looking at installing the Nth shock relocation brackets.

So for someone getting back into it does anyone have any recommendations on mig welders? I am not looking for top of the line but also bottom of the bin ain't gonna cut it either. If anyone has any references they can share I am all ears. Thanks!

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
I think the best bang (or arc) for your buck is the Hobart Handler 140. It will run off 120V and weld up to 1/4" which is good for Jeep stuff. If you have 220V available, then check out the Handler 210MVP - it will run off 120/240V and weld 3/8" in in a single pass, a big step up in capability.

Then there's the Chinese models - Everlast & Longevity (and others). They have really attractive prices and some have had good luck with them, but if they need service, you have to send it off to the west coast for repair.

I have a Hobart Ironman230 - a great performer and will weld up to 1/2" in a single pass but it's physically large and a tad expensive compared to the Handler models.

If you can consider a stick welder, the ESAB MiniArc 161LTS is the easiest stick welder I have ever used and it's a tiny package and will run on 120/220V. It has hot start and is really, really easy to start an arc. You can get an electrode (welding rod) into places you can't touch with a MIG gun. I can operate it with my 3500 watt generator and use it around the ranch to repair gates, etc.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 12:02 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I have the Hobart 140. This was my first welder and has been a pleasure to learn with. I haven't bought a tank for gas yet, so my work has been done with flux core. I haven't trusted my self to weld control arm brackets to an axle, but I have had no problem with the lower shock brackets I did.

I opted to do the Clayton Shock Relocation brackets. A fraction of the cost of the Nth and does almost the same thing.

Brett | KEĜEBF |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I would recommend a 240v welder for the greater capacity - you will want the higher capacity and trying to get by on the 110v box wont last long. I went the road of incrementalism, buying a miller 135_110v machine and upgrading to a miller 211.
The miller machines are very nice. Ive had no problems.

Note. 110v boxes are more particular about their supply power. A dedicated 20 amp circuit with appropriate gauge wire from circuit breaker is a must. You cant just plug them into any 110v outlet and expect them to perform. Extension cords are difficult. I used my 110box on a 10ga extension plugged into laundry recepticals (a dedicated outlet in most homes).
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:04 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Hobart 175. It's a 220/30 amp. I have had it for many years and it has done everything I have asked of it.
One of my last jobs was cutting off those nth degree stock brackets and fabbing my own. The Nths hung way too far down below the axles for my tastes.

Frank!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Hobart, Lincoln, Miller. 220v unit if at all possible. Watch Craigslist for good used units. I bought a nice used Miller 220v with lots of extras (tank, stand, helmet, gloves, clamps, etc.) included several years ago for less than a new 120v unit - way less by the time the extras were figured in.

Vince

05 TJ Rubi (auto) / RE 3.5 SF / JKS BL&MML / Old Man EMU Shocks / Currie Anti-Rock, Steering, Track Bars / Alloy Axles / Talon CV Driveshafts / Nitto 33x13.5 Mud Grapplers / 15x10 Eagles / Jeeperman Skidz / SkidRow Engine-Trans Skid / MileMarker Winch / RockHard Front & ProComp Rear Bumpers / Ravelco Security / CO2 Tank / CB+HAM

92' YJ - lifted, locked - sold...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 AM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
So I bought an ESAB EM215IC welder on Friday and it should arrive this week I hope. It is Mig only, but should work for what I will be doing. I have my grandfather's old miller arc welder that I used last year a few times. I will be doing a lot of practicing with it before doing any projects on my Jeep. I will be doing a triangulation long arm kit sometime late next year. I may even try to find a welding class in the portland oregon area to help.

I got a good deal that I could not pass up.

I will let you know how it goes with practicing.

Chris
mac likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
Great choice - ESAB makes good stuff. Buy a high quality auto darkening helmet, the 3M Speedglas is a really, really good helmet. Also, there's a ton of very good how-to welding videos on utube. Weldingweb is a good forum for talking metalworking, welding and associated stuff.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page