8Likes
  • 3 Post By Stinger
  • 5 Post By 03Ruby1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
TJ Frame Mount Track Bar Bracket welding

I am debating Mig welding on a new Clayton Track Bar bracket this weekend and installing my new track bar.

It is going to be done in my garage, but it is a bit cold here in Portland Oregon. Maybe be 40 in my garage overnight.

I have been told not to do it if it is going to be cold and weld on cold metal. I have also been told that I can heat up the frame with a small torch and would bring the bracket inside overnight. That would help prevent any stress or cracking due to the temp difference.

What can you tell me?

2003 TJ

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Hmmmm. Location says Dayton, Ohio. Post says Portland?

Let's me just say you can not go wrong heating the metals you want to weld. If you just think about it a second welding with a huge temp difference sounds like it might lead to problem.
Wonder how they got the AK pipeline together?

Maybe a real welder will speak up

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I'm no professional welder, but have had the occasion to do emergency repairs on snow plow blades during storms where temps were below freezing. We used a torch to preheat the metals... never saw any of those welds crack or fail, if it failed again it usually failed in a new area not a previously welded repair area.

So I would say preheat a bit if you have any concern about temp of the metal.

I think 225 degrees is the number I remember from machine shop days as a target, but I assume a weld engineer has sorts of inputs to determine the desired pre heat- air temps, metal thickness , filler being used, tons of inputs...

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Thanks for the replys.

I am going to add a bit of heat to it before welding. Supposed to be around 48 tomorrow. That will help.
I have a small torch from my plumbing work and will add some heat.

Chris
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I reached out to a professional weld I know from another forum and here is his reply:

"They don't have to be so long as the temp difference isn't too drastic, if it was zero or below outside and the room temp bracket was 75 to 80 you may want to run a torch over the frame where you are welding first. If I remember correctly though AWS guidelines state that any metal below 45 degrees should be preheated to cook the moisture out. That is the condensed version, it gets way more specific depending on the type of metal and the application. If you do preheat, warm to the touch will be good enough."

Hope this helps.
johncanfield, Desert Dog and Wood like this.

Frank!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
All complete and a warm torch did push out the moisture. You could see it when the heat hit.

Was a major pain getting the old stuff out with the rusted on stuck bolts. No pics, cause I was just busy busting knuckles!

I did a test drive and it does handle better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page