• 1 Post By svtotem
  • 1 Post By MTOP
  • 3 Post By BLACK RUBI

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Chain saw carrier

After growing tired of carrying my chain saw inside my jeep and the arrival of my rack for the Lod rear bumper, I decided I needed some place to carry my chain saw and combi pack. I originally had the saw up on the rear rack but didn't like it so I put together this simple carrier and built it to try balance with the Lod fuel caddy on the other side. I now have one spare fuel caddy which will probably never get used but the addition of the saw has proven to be much more useful than carrying a bunch of extra fuel on our trips. I used a Kolpin saw press that I built a simple mount for, the saw is secure and I stuff it in a bag and clamp tight when traveling to and from the trailhead to keep the bar clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2220.jpg (94.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2219.jpg (91.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2218.jpg (95.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2221.jpg (106.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2222.jpg (75.8 KB, 12 views)
geroux, inline6, Mouse and 5 others like this.

Stallings Free
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Rubi Noobie

Great idea, I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTOP likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've been on a couple of trails where I wish I had a chainsaw, I carry a pruning saw but they are so sloooow. Stihl makes great saws, I've got one with 16" and 18" bars and I just bought a carbide chain for it. I've got some dead "live" oaks to cut up, they are like trying to saw rocks.
MTOP likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
I still carry one of those Silky (Katana) saws and some long handle pruners for the smaller quicker branches. Some of the trails out here are not run run more than 2-3 times a year and they tend to get a little overgrown. Here's some photos of the potential scratchies I deal with on a regular basis, luckily I keep my jeep waxed and it cleaned up fairly well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2245.jpg (151.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2246.jpg (134.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2247.jpg (140.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2248.jpg (116.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.jpg (104.5 KB, 6 views)
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Stallings Free
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Racing stripes!

Have you considered a way to keep the plastic scabbard on the bar while in the mount? Might save some skin down the toad.
MTOP likes this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
I did look at either building a contoured scabbard and or trimming the one I have for the saw down and strapping it to the upper portion of the saw. The way the saw is secured in the saw press the scabbard can't really be used in it's original shape/condition without modification. I'll possibly rig up something different if I ever get to "saw mount 2.0" but for now I think I'll run it the way it is. I did see a built scabbard somewhere on a rear door mount system...A to Z fabrication maybe....I can't remember. Honestly, I built the saw carrier the evening before a planned run so I was a little pressed for time and I find sometimes I end up over-thinking something to the point that I don't end up finishing the product for my wheeling deadline.
johncanfield likes this.

Stallings Free
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOP View Post
I still carry one of those Silky (Katana) saws and some long handle pruners for the smaller quicker branches. Some of the trails out here are not run run more than 2-3 times a year and they tend to get a little overgrown. Here's some photos of the potential scratchies I deal with on a regular basis, luckily I keep my jeep waxed and it cleaned up fairly well.

Those are some serious scratches! I've found that a product called "Scratch Doctor" works well
johncanfield, Desert Dog and MTOP like this.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page