Question Want a winch...advice needed!

Hey there,
I'm in the market for a winch...
Requirements...
(1) Sealed for water protection
(2) 9000# pull strength min
(3) wireless remote control
(4) ability to remotely mount control pack under the hood
So far, the only thing I have found that checks all the boxes is the WARN 89611 ZEON™ 10-S Winch but $1250 is a bit steep.
Any advice is appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 "Pumpkin" Orange Rubicon Unlimited
Armored & Weaponized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Lots of posts here on ROF concerning winches in general. Might be worth your time to check some of them out.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
My Warn has never let me down when I needed it to pull out friends or fallen trees off a trail...
It's been on the front of my TJ for 15 years.

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Garage
I should have added that I've had a Ramsey winch since the mid eighties that has never failed to keep on pullin'. I bought to put on my CJ, removed it when I sold the CJ and put it on my Rubi.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I've been wanting a winch too and so have some thoughts on this.

The cheap winch at Harbor Freight has earned good reviews on the net and 1/4 the cost. Quadratec and other off road parts houses have other brands that are also much cheaper than Warn and have decent reviews.

But... Any winch is going to add weight and that is going against the trend of keeping light for better handling and performance. Some of the fellows I've asked locally claim they have never use their winch after many years. Just got back from a 10 day Jeep back country trip with 14 other Jeepers and never needed a winch, although one guy readied one once but we got the stuck guy out with a few placed rocks.

I'm not as experienced as many on ROF but developing an opinion. If you need to get out of a fix in the back country, and by yourself, a winch pays for itself.

I think I will get a cheaper winch and at $300 even if it doesn't last not going to break the bank. Think I will mount it on the stock bumper that is light so don't over weight the front too much.

Pic for interest: Setting up to winch the Red Jeep that is pinned on a rock. A few placed rocks allowed it to backed off and take the go-around.

2005 Rubicon
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Rubi Wheeler

You can save a few hundred by going with steel cable instead of synthetic line on any winch. After lots of research I got the Warn M-8000, it's highly proven and not too expensive. I know you want a 9000lb winch, but with a snatch block that difference is almost irrelevant. Twice a year warn runs rebates on all their winches, I think I got $100 back on mine which I purchased through Amazon and was only about $5-600. Warn makes a wireless remote that will work with all of their winches. Yes, you can save a few hundred with other brands, but it is Warn's warranty and customer service track record that convinced me to spend the extra money.
Desert Dog likes this.

Dan

Silver 2014 2dr Rubicon Metal Cloak Aluminum Overland Fenders with aluminum inners, GenRight aluminum front bumper, Warn M8000, 17" AEV Savegre wheels, 35-12.5-17 Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires, AEV 3.5" lift, Metal Cloak adjustable control arms, Solid Differential covers with lube lockers, Adams drive-shafts
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodesmo View Post
My Warn has never let me down when I needed it to pull out friends or fallen trees off a trail...
It's been on the front of my TJ for 15 years.
same for me....same Warn for over 10 years

Lives in garage:

2004 Red jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Bob, consider that you are most likely to discover that your bargain winch has failed when you need it most and in an area where repair or replacement won't help you out of the current situation.

Your recovery gear should be the most reliable you can afford.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabob View Post
.....But... Any winch is going to add weight and that is going against the trend of keeping light for better handling and performance. Some of the fellows I've asked locally claim they have never use their winch after many years. Just got back from a 10 day Jeep back country trip with 14 other Jeepers and never needed a winch, although one guy readied one once but we got the stuck guy out with a few placed rocks....
Weight on the very front (within reason) isn't a bad thing - it can keep the front from unloading on a steep climb. That 75 pounds of a winch can help neutralize the spare tire weight hanging on the rear.

The very last choice for me in a recovery is a winch due to the time involved. First choice is to stack rocks (like your situation), second choice is a strap but sometimes those two options aren't possible once you start doing the harder trails. In those situations only a winch (or two) is the only way to get somebody out of trouble.

But for those winching situations, you really need a 100% dependable product. One time in St. George two of us were pre-running a hard trail and my friend took an optional route and got in a very precarious situation, he was rocking back and forth on two opposite tires at the edge of a small canyon.

We were afraid he was going to roll two or three times down the canyon. I got a winch line on his corner and pulled him back and then kept tension on him as he made his way off the edge and down the trail. A short diversion off the main trail for him almost turned into a very ugly situation.

So the moral of the story is, for some situations you really need a winch, and it needs to be 100% reliable. Even on a Forest Service road you might need to pull a blowdown off the trail, pull somebody out of a mud hole (too far away for a strap), etc. Some recoveries will need two winch equipped vehicles.
87Warrior and Mud Machine like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Rubicus Maximus

With John's and svtotem's explanation, I must agree the smart buy is a quality winch over a cheap considering "your life might depend on it." Also glad to hear that a winch may help balance the Jeeps weight.

I will be watching for your winch purchase and install thread
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2005 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page